Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
wood burner recommendations.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 13 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. We've got two woodburners, one morso squirrel and a clearview pioneer. ( one cast iron, the other steel and have nothing but praise for both of them) Both will stay in overnight using wood but I tend not to do this too often as I think that it probably doesn't do the chimneys much good. I've found that the best thing to do is to put log on when I'm going to bed, open the fire right up to get it roaring then shut it down to a reasonable burn but not shut down all the way. Come the morning there are usually enough embers to chuck some kindling on and then off you go again. It will also depend on the wood that you are burning and to some extent how windy it is etc as to how warm the stove is come the morning. The morso will make charcoal if it is shut down completely but you do end up with a bit of a tarry smell which as I say makes me think it's not so great for the chimney.

giveitago

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 13 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, the woods not that great. We're still trying to build a dry spot for it.

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 13 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Clearview. The only stove we'd ever consider and believe me, my hubby installs hundreds of different stoves in hundreds of houses every year.

Annemieke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 13 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rayburn stoves (now taken over by Aga) will run rads, heat water and provide cooking facilities.
Not sure what woodburning stoves Rayburn do - mine runs on oil. The woodburning version may be less powerful. Check their website.
Older models of Rayburn are not insulated, so will heat a kitchen.

We've lived with wood-burning Rayburns for decades. We used to recondition old Rayburns and put central heating boilers in them. Old Rayburns are much more solid and never go wrong: if you are thinking of a Rayburn, as well as looking at new ones, find out wether there is a second-hand dealer in your area.

Ruralnaedowell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 13 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the secondhand side of the market the Coalbrookdale Severn is a great stove and very easy on the eye. There are boiler and non boiler models out there, you can pick up a beauty for £400. I think they are 15kw or so and will stay in all night, so long as the seals are in good order and the fuel is good. The boiler model only gives out 3KW of room heating though, the majority going to the radiators.
The Stovax Huntingdon 35's and 45's are another great stove and great second hand buy as are many of the older Jotuls, Vermont Intrepids etc.
You can get often get a really good quality second hand stove for the price of a chinese import.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to install a Multifuel/woodburner,i have done so much searching,checked out the info on most makes of stove,and still un-decided.

There does seem to be a lot on here that recommend the Clearview range,but i have failed to find a lot of info on them,even from their own website,they do say its the most efficient stove ever made,But don`t state what the efficiency percentage is,like most other stove makers,which i find strange.

What i also find strange is,some of the other more expensive stoves,have much lower efficiency percentages,than stoves half the price.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not all that strange. I guess efficiency isn't everything.

Clearview is 71.9% efficient. Second best on the market it seems.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
It's not all that strange. I guess efficiency isn't everything.

Clearview is 71.9% efficient. Second best on the market it seems.

Thanks Nick,where did you find that?
My eyes have gone square from looking.

Regarding being second best,71.9 is quite low on the ratings,there are many above that.

Suppose efficiency is quite high if you have to purchase your fuel,not in my case,as i have timber coming out of my ears,but not the time to attend to the stove as often as some do,so efficiency would be my first choice,the ones i have studied most ,are all over 80%.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-efficiency.html

Some details here, and here...

https://www.thestoveroom.co.uk/pdf/burley-brochure.pdf page four.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 13 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again,looks like i got square eyes for nothing,

But on the first link,the room calculation is way out for the Morso Panther.a room 5 x 5 x 2.3 would an inferno with that size stove,the calcs i`ve seen else where recommend 4kw

To much conflicting info,to be honest,i`ve spoken with 3 stove suppliers local to here,who also install,speaking with them,one learns what they really know,not a lot,this fitting is a cash cow to them,because their Hetas approved.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 13 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but at least you now know ignorance is universal.

Go for one that's easy to light, run, looks pleasant and fits the budget.

(clearview is probably your answer)

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 13 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any experience of one of these?

https://www.leedsstovecentre.co.uk/contemporary-wood-burning-stoves/burley-holywell-9105-woodburning-stove/

The manufacturers claim great performance if you have a 'room seal' by which they mean it sucks air in from outside rather than the warm air from the room. any comments?

Ta

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 13 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the room seal thing seems to be aimed at premises designed that way (think swedish walls n triple glazing n tings)

as a retrofit in a british house it might be a bit troublesome imho

and if it did work damp would probably be visiting quite soon

Annette H

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 13 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently had a Merlin Slimline stove fitted. We had originally decided on a Clearview Pioneer but the installation costs were too high for our budget. Doing some research about flues etc we came across the Merlin.

They are made in Hereford and the cost of the purchase and the installation came in at almost half the Clearview. Its very efficient, after 20+ years of open fires I am amazed at the warmth, we are only using logs and pallet wood at the moment but it is multifuel.

We didn't need to line the chimney after the smoke tests or have a core vent fitted.

There are some good clips on YouTube. Its a great stove.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 13 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would check with all stoves is that you can shut them down completely so that no air is coming in. That way, if you do have a chimney fire or something else goes wrong, you at least have some control.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive