Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
The resurgence of steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 12:08 pm    Post subject: The resurgence of steam Reply with quote

as a viable heat engine. This is quite an interesting recent development over the past few years. It's essentially an external heat engine based on well know principles of the Rankin cycle (steam engine) but modernised to be small, powerful, and self contained.

Heat source ranges from traditional heat sources (petrol, oil, diesel, propane) but also waste heat, bio fuels, and almost any other heat source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGRxqHiYCaQ#t=11

https://www.cyclonepower.com/

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

It is said that the infernal combustion engine dominates only because back in the early days the vehicle manufacturers who chose it won the marketing war, not because it is actually any better.
Of course, now, after a hundred years or so of research and development, the infernal engine is substantially better... doesn't mean that external combustion cannot catch up.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm tidy

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the steam engines of the time were only suitable for lorries and other larger vehicles Hairyloon, as they were rather heavy and bulky. My father was always very proud of the fact that his driving licence enabled him to drive a steam lorry. More recent ones don't of course.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I think the steam engines of the time were only suitable for lorries and other larger vehicles.

Yes. I believe the principal battle was between Mr Edwin Foden, maker of steam lorries, and his son Edwin Richard Foden (ERF), who thought the future lay in diesel.

john of wessex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairyloon, you do come up with some great observations.

Well, having worked on marine steam installations, 3200psi will have me out of the door smartish.

There is an interesting analysis of the relative merits of steam & diesel locomotives and the problem that steam has is that as there is no transmittion , in effect its the same as a fixed geared bike, so any particular locomotive is only at its best with a particular load/speed combination

john of wessex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm............

Superheated steam and no cylinder lubrication, I think not

Of course if you did have lubrication then you would carbonise the oil anyway at those sort of temperatures

Also the radial configuration gives massive heat loss issues

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I have always thought we might end up riding to work on horses or steam driven transport. I see a problem immediately with this design though,

COOLING PROCESS
5. Steam escapes the cylinders through exhaust ports and (a) enters the patent-pending condensing unit where it turns back into water, and (b) collects in a sealed pan at the bottom of the condenser. Note, this is a closed-loop system – the water does not need to be replaced or topped-off.

If you are losing water as steam, how can it be said that water does not need to be replaced? It cannot be a closed loop system if steam is released?

john of wessex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed feed system

Pretty standard in marine & stationary installations

vegplot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john of wessex wrote:
Closed feed system

Pretty standard in marine & stationary installations

Steam has been around for a long time. It's not a new technology but one that is still evolving one and this makes it interesting especially given its wide range of applications.

vegplot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 13 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd wrote:
Very interesting. I have always thought we might end up riding to work on horses or steam driven transport. I see a problem immediately with this design though,

COOLING PROCESS
5. Steam escapes the cylinders through exhaust ports and (a) enters the patent-pending condensing unit where it turns back into water, and (b) collects in a sealed pan at the bottom of the condenser. Note, this is a closed-loop system – the water does not need to be replaced or topped-off.

If you are losing water as steam, how can it be said that water does not need to be replaced? It cannot be a closed loop system if steam is released?

I think your quote answers your question "Steam escapes the cylinders through exhaust ports and (a) enters the patent-pending condensing unit".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive