Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cost of preparing food from scratch
Page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 
 Message
Cathryn



Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Posts: 19829
Location: Ceredigion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 1:11 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

@the other Ann. I bulk buy chickpeas and tinned tomatoes. I did have a whole drawer of tomatoes in the freezer but I also suffer from children that descend and eat phenomenal quantities of food in a very short time. I might have enough space to be able to make ice cream soon.

It's about encouraging people to see that making food from scratch is easy to do and makes sense in most ways. Although I am not against the occasional emergency fish finger supper. (And now I fancy that more than the egg and bacon pie I was planning. )

oldish chris



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 4148
Location: Comfortably Wet Southport
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.

Rob R



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 31902
Location: York
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

oldish chris wrote:
My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.


To be fair, her portions are mouse-sized, I'd need at least 3 to keep me going through the day without snacking.

Nicky Colour it green



Joined: 25 Jun 2007
Posts: 8617
Location: Devon, uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

its hard to work out isn't it

we had spag bol tonight - I used turkey mince. the turkey was a large free range bird we bought for Christmas - pricey but it was Christmas - we only roast the crown, then we mince the rest, and make stew and soup with the bones. - I've just crunched the numbers and averaged the cost over the 67 meals we had/have out of it.

I used bought passata, mushrooms and peppers, frozen homegrown courgettes
I added wine that was leftover, so not counting that.
I made our own spaghetti - and so added in the price of 300g of flour and 3 eggs at 20p each - since that is what I sell them for. allowing 50p to cover the olive oil, herbs, onion and garlic

I cooked it on the esse using our own logs and pallet wood.

it made 4 main meals - the three of us including the garnet that is my son (spare meal in the freezer)
and works out to 1.70 per person meal. Not bad for a meat meal.

all a bit approx though

was very tasty


dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32593
Location: yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

simple 500 gm sourdough loaf about a 1including heat

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33569
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nicky Colour it green wrote:
its hard to work out isn't it

we had spag bol tonight - I used turkey mince. the turkey was a large free range bird we bought for Christmas - pricey but it was Christmas - we only roast the crown, then we mince the rest, and make stew and soup with the bones. - I've just crunched the numbers and averaged the cost over the 67 meals we had/have out of it.

I used bought passata, mushrooms and peppers, frozen homegrown courgettes
I added wine that was leftover, so not counting that.
I made our own spaghetti - and so added in the price of 300g of flour and 3 eggs at 20p each - since that is what I sell them for. allowing 50p to cover the olive oil, herbs, onion and garlic

I cooked it on the esse using our own logs and pallet wood.

it made 4 main meals - the three of us including the garnet that is my son (spare meal in the freezer)
and works out to 1.70 per person meal. Not bad for a meat meal.

all a bit approx though

was very tasty



Wine that was leftover.

Can anyone translate this, please?

oldish chris



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 4148
Location: Comfortably Wet Southport
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Rob R wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.


To be fair, her portions are mouse-sized, I'd need at least 3 to keep me going through the day without snacking.
I hate you, I really hate you. In order to prove you wrong, I've just spent half an hour calculating the calorie content of a portion of Jack Monroe's home-made Lasagne. Its in the order of 450. Way more than a mouse would eat. (About a third of what a working man would eat.)

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nick wrote:
Wine that was leftover.

Can anyone translate this, please?


Sauce needs a splash of wine - open wine bottle, add a splash to saucepan and drink the 'leftovers'.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32593
Location: yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
Nick wrote:
Wine that was leftover.

Can anyone translate this, please?


Sauce needs a splash of wine - open wine bottle, add a splash to saucepan and drink the 'leftovers'.


well specified

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33569
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Ah, thank you. All is clear.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32593
Location: yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

for some folk who are time poor for domestic things it would be reasonable to charge for time which sways the scales somewhat.

Nicky Colour it green



Joined: 25 Jun 2007
Posts: 8617
Location: Devon, uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dpack wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Nick wrote:
Wine that was leftover.

Can anyone translate this, please?


Sauce needs a splash of wine - open wine bottle, add a splash to saucepan and drink the 'leftovers'.


well specified




it was the last bit of a cheapo bottle (well plastic) of wine I'd bought for mulling at christmas. I guess you could add a quid to the total cost to make it more accurate. Odd to some the concept of leftover wine - but I'm the only drinker in the house so it does get left, to the point of going bad unless I cook with it.

however, leftover chocolate is impossible

Nicky Colour it green



Joined: 25 Jun 2007
Posts: 8617
Location: Devon, uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dpack wrote:
for some folk who are time poor for domestic things it would be reasonable to charge for time which sways the scales somewhat.


Time is a huge factor - I have lots of time, not a lot of cash. Folk are always asking me if small holding (such as we are on 2 acres) makes any money - the answer is no - but we live cheaply. For me, it is a lifestyle choice, one that was forced on me a little.

Rob R



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 31902
Location: York
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

oldish chris wrote:
Rob R wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.


To be fair, her portions are mouse-sized, I'd need at least 3 to keep me going through the day without snacking.
I hate you, I really hate you. In order to prove you wrong, I've just spent half an hour calculating the calorie content of a portion of Jack Monroe's home-made Lasagne. Its in the order of 450. Way more than a mouse would eat. (About a third of what a working man would eat.)


My pleasure.

Rob R



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 31902
Location: York
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

oldish chris wrote:
Rob R wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.


To be fair, her portions are mouse-sized, I'd need at least 3 to keep me going through the day without snacking.
I hate you, I really hate you. In order to prove you wrong, I've just spent half an hour calculating the calorie content of a portion of Jack Monroe's home-made Lasagne. Its in the order of 450. Way more than a mouse would eat. (About a third of what a working man would eat.)


Though you have to wonder what people think happens in the food industry;

Quote:
Watching that woman on daytime TV, I wondered if I could recreate a supermarket ready meal for less than the shelf price.


I assume many people reading that piece, comparing the 2.69 M&S meal with 0.60 homemade, would be thinking they are saving 2.09, but only if you ignore that someone has been paid to make the M&S meal, someone has been paid to make the packaging, the cooking uses un-costed time and fuel, the subsequent storage costs you money. Add onto that the testing required, the need to clean & comply with food safety regs, the greater wastage they'd have if they omitted the e-numbers. You can soon see why it's 2.09 cheaper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->