Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
attitudes to craft fairs
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the new website link to the Masham 'Crafted by Hand' programme for this year.

https://www.by-handevents.com/

EV

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masham added to my diary

MornieG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
Here's the new website link to the Masham 'Crafted by Hand' programme for this year.

EV

Thank you EV. A long way for us but not overpriced and looks just what we are searching for. I have contacted then with some questions re setting up etc and will see what the reply is before we can make a decision.

Mo.XX

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MornieG wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:

EV

Thank you EV. A long way for us but not overpriced and looks just what we are searching for. I have contacted then with some questions re setting up etc and will see what the reply is before we can make a decision.

Mo.XX

No probs. Might even see you there

EV

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time since I last went to York so might be a chance to have a few days break around the event. Looks pretty good going buy their web site.

Pete

Luath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably met you at the Oak Fair Bodrighy lol

MornieG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luath wrote:
Probably met you at the Oak Fair Bodrighy lol

We will be there this year too, if you go come and say Hi !

Mo.XX

Luath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 14 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will hopefully have left the country by then, but will if it all goes pear-shaped

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 14 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started doing craft fairs, 30 odd years ago, the main problem was 'sales of work'. People expected to pay very low prices because they were used to jumble sales or people making things for charity, because craft workers had got to such a low ebb. Things are a bit better today, although I agree the hobbyists cause a lot of trouble, and not just at craft fairs, but in any craft orientated business.

We try to have a demonstration at any show we do; bungee lathe turning, besom making, spoon or spatula making, and often more than one. One trouble we find is that people stop and look, sometimes even parking their children to watch, sometimes even ask questions, then walk past the resulting product.

We do farmers markets and some shows, mainly local ones, and we are expecting the January ones to be loss makers, just hope that the ones during the rest of the year yield some profit.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 14 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of quality craft people at the Welsh Spring Festival , I am not sure of costs. There are two large halls full of sellers and buyers! It is held at the Royal Welsh showground at Builth Wells mid Powys towards the end of May on a Sat and Sun. I'm not sure which w/e it is this year, will let you know when I find out!
ed.- it is the 17th/18 May this year.

MornieG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 14 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well EV we have applied for the Masham event and await their decision when applications end. It is unfortunately the end of May bank holiday weekend so every B&B, hotel and self catering cottage has whacked and extra £100 on a three day stay There isn't a Premier Inn close by so will have to see if we are accepted first then try and find find somewhere to stay that doesn't wipe out any possible profit we may make.

Have booked a 4 dayer in Abingdon mid October which had been going for yonks and it's driveable for us on a daily basis, just. With the two day Oak fair and the two days at Kington Lacey for Christmas, that's probably all we can afford to chance this year by way of larger shows. We will hopefully do the three days at the American Museum in Bath but this is minimal cost.

The larger shows also entail a more impressive stand and more stock all additional investment before you have any idea if it's going to work for you.

Oh the joys of self employment LOL

Mo.XX

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 14 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a holiday inn, 17 miles away for £56 a night.

This is a rate that allows you to cancel up until 4pm on the day you arrive.

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 14 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MornieG wrote:
Well EV we have applied for the Masham event and await their decision when applications end. It is unfortunately the end of May bank holiday weekend so every B&B, hotel and self catering cottage has whacked and extra £100 on a three day stay There isn't a Premier Inn close by so will have to see if we are accepted first then try and find find somewhere to stay that doesn't wipe out any possible profit we may make.

Mo.XX

I haven't made a final decision on the Masham one yet ...probably not this year as I've decided to apply to a couple of 'Open' exhibitions (not cheap!) but we might visit to see what sort of event it is.

Good luck with the application. They seem like a good bunch up there.

EV

MornieG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 14 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
There's a holiday inn, 17 miles away for £56 a night.

This is a rate that allows you to cancel up until 4pm on the day you arrive.

Thanks Nick, didn't think of them. Will see if they have the dates if and when we get accepted

EV if we get in please do come and say hello if you visit.

Mo.XX

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 14 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive