Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Rayburn 355SFW Info
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer the tech questions without a lot of grind and a spreadsheet, I am sure that there are other people who can do that more effectively. However, as someone who has had various heating systems with a variety of shonkey solid fuel appliances, I think as gz says, if you are out all day, keeping it going on wood alone might be an issue.

Sean is probably going to shout 'bingo' if I mention a Dunsley Baker Neutraliser. But it might be worth considering, if you are prepared to change out your combi boiler as you do need to run it with a tank. You could then integrate the gas system with a solid fuel system. We had one in our house in Meifod linking both the oil boiler and the range and solar panels; and once we had it working properly it did a very good job of cutting the fuel bills. The solar kept the water in the tank at an ambient temperature (and very hot in the summer), the range heated it up from that in the winter; and the oil topped us up if we needed it. The radiators were also integrated to the system - solar panels don't do much for them, obviously.

Hope that gives you another angle, and welcome.

jonestimetravel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am just weighing up the possibility of using wood as the main source as the wood I get is 100% free and sustainable. The trouble is that I am unsure about what quantity I would require - and based on some responses so far, I am guessing that wood just wouldn't not last the 9 hours that we could potentially be out of the house.

So the two main factors are - if we burn wood - how long will it stay in for? And how often does it need to be topped up. If I have to use anthracite- then how much will I need to use based on my demands stated above? If I am looking at figures of 60 ton of wood per year, (one chap who has a similar model says he burns about a cubic meter per week during peak winter), then realistically I need storage for 120 ton to allow seasoning, and 60 ton is was beyond my guaranteed amount for free and definitely not viable to buy. So back to anthracite dilemma - how much would I have to use for that to sustain my needs, I.e. If It will need more than 2-3 tonne then that's going to cost about £1,000 so once again far too much.

Yes I have a gas supply, but I like the thought of being off the grid, and being able to source my wood fuel for free - although as I have said the amount needed for this rayburn may be way beyond what I can have for free.

Plus I like the fact that I am cooking with wood - it sounds daft, but there is something that makes it feel good!

Thanks all - I hope I get more response to the consumption rates. In the meantime I have found the Esse 990 CH, which in the brochure claims to be able to slumber burn for 24 hours on anthracite, and run for 5 hours on maximum output - I can't find any clear concise literature like that of the rayburn - which suggests that it may be inferior? Who knows? Anyone???

gz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 14 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Bosky woodburner..very good, efficient, and with a liftable grate..you could lift it up, stick some twigs to burn and have water for a cuppa, fast

chez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mochyn has a modern Esse; but her internet is crummy atm. I will give her a poke on fb to come and have a look at the thread.

mochyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am!

Right. Our Rayburn Royal was very old. Never worked very well for us. Our Esse Ironheart we bought a few years ago new.

Both have problems with weather. If they don't like the weather they won't heat up or, sometimes, even light. If the wood is a bit damp they won;t light. If it's a bit breezy they burn through a full box of wood before I get up. It's very difficult to get the oven for either hot enough.

If I had my way (and could live with myself) I'd have a gas cooker.

mochyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you're looking at anthracite as a fule why not just use gas?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
And if you're looking at anthracite as a fule why not just use gas?

Are you channeling Molesworth again?

mochyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it would seem

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a wood fired esse - ironheart

its plumbed into a thermal store, which is also heated via a separate coil by a efficient gas boiler. We also have a spare coil to plumb in solar hot water if and when we get to it. This set up means we have mains pressure potable hot water - handy to fill up pans etc.

Although We are home a lot, we are not always in the house, and light the esse when we are in and feeling cold - makes the kitchen - which is the room we live in most - toasty, and makes lots of hot water and is easy to cook on

I don't find it hard to light or get hot at all - so I guess that comes down to how good the draw on your chimneys are. I can get it from unloaded and cold to frying on the hot plate in 20 minutes. Can easily get it hot enough to roast spuds on.

Other esse ironheart owners keep the fire in all night keeping the house warm and making hot water for the CH, but we don't, and allow ourselves to use the gas boiler for the times we are not in for long etc.

Previously we had a gas rayburn and the bills were killing us, even with letting it out in summer. We were going to go for a woodfired rayburn but liked the idea of being able to see the fire - and we haven't regretted the esse once - its just fab.

We haven't had the esse for a year yet, but over the winter months our gas bills are halved, and the house is a lot warmer.

jonestimetravel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
Here I am!

Right. Our Rayburn Royal was very old. Never worked very well for us. Our Esse Ironheart we bought a few years ago new.

Both have problems with weather. If they don't like the weather they won't heat up or, sometimes, even light. If the wood is a bit damp they won;t light. If it's a bit breezy they burn through a full box of wood before I get up. It's very difficult to get the oven for either hot enough.

If I had my way (and could live with myself) I'd have a gas cooker.

Many thanks for the reply. We did look at the esse ironheart. I think they are a particulary nice looking stove but a bit small for our needs. With it only being 2.6kW to water and 8 kW to space and once again you may be forgetting that it would be left for 9 hours a day three times a week. I can lay my hands on about 10-15 cubic metres of wood a year so hence why I dont want to go down the gas route. Plus As mentioned above - i like the whole feel of burning wood i have locally sourced and felled for free!

The reason why I was thinking of anthracite is perhaps because it coild help me out for over night burning???

I love the idea of a thermal store but what sort of money are you looking at for parts and labour to fit, on top of a £5,000 stove.

It seems to be somewhat of a luxury unless you have an endless free supply of wood.

Thanks for all the replies - bit what I need to know is consumption - how many tonnes, how many cubic metres of anthracite / wood are you guys using, and what size is your system? How is it set up etc.

Many thanks once again

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Jones,you are expecting a lot of performance from very little fuel.
It does`nt sound as if you have had a coal fire before by the questions on consumption,
An open fire would use 2 cwt per week,OK you could have a back boiler for hot water,say 1/2 ton per month to be sure=6 ton per year,

For a rayburn to cook on,supply hot water and central heating,it will be on full power for a good spell,Full Power = More fuel,
But of course you can supplement with wood when you are at home,so reducing your coal bill.

little blue duck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have just had a Rayburn Royal MF (the older version of the SFW) fitted.
She ("Betty") runs 7 radiators, hot water & fabulous cooking facilities.

We can shut her down with a few mini-shovels of eco-coal and sometimes some logs on at night & just "riddle," open up her "flaps" and chuck on another shovel or three at 6am when I get up and she runs all night & day if its cold enough!
We use logs in the day eg for cooking.

You need a HETAS registered engineer to certify chimney work, plus any fitting bits - some won't do plumbing, or electrical work (pumps etc) so be sure you know what you need somebody else to do and get decent quotes. I think the certification on its own is £80-100, but I could be mistaken. We had quotes that were thousands of pounds different, so be aware!

And if you're buying second-hand - for goodness sake have a back up fund!! We've had to have a replacement boiler & new fire bricks (the ones it came with were wrong, possibly to disguise the boiler leak) plus fittings - hob screws, caps, insulation.
At least now we know how long the boiler is guaranteed for - and we're lucky enough to live close enough to a foundry (if that's the right word!) that make them for Rayburn - so a quick turnaround!

john of wessex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got what was a 3 bed - now extended 1963 built house.

I put - well had put a 5kw Morso Squirrel which also heats the hot water.

We have cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, double glazing, solar hot water & solar PV

gas bills are about 2000kw pa

We still have a gas boiler & radiators but rarely use them

Quite frankly I would be cagey about a rayburn - my experience is that unless its very cold the Morso heats most of the house just by convection - the chimney breast & Heatstore keep upstairs tolerable

I think that cooking on a woodburner especially if you have mains gas/electric is making life rather difficult for yourself.

If you want to PM me, I would be quite happy to talk on the phine

shopgirlsue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 14 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 355 fitted a couple of years ago in our 3 bed bungalow (about 1400sq ft). It ran 5 rads , hot water and underfloor heating for an area of about 160 sq ft via a thermal store. We used it for approx 6months of the year

We ran it on wood during the day and anthracite - type fuel overnight and when it was very cold.
It used about £650 of anthracite each winter and 400cu ft of wood.

When running on wood it needed refuelling every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs so if you wanted to keep it in when you are both at work you will have to use anthracite.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 14 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to whether it will stay in for 9 hours on just wood fuel that will very much depend on the draw on your chimney.
Stoves on some sites will suck more air than the same stove somewhere else & burn fuel faster.
With my old MF I have no problem keeping the fire in all night, if I use large well seasoned logs before I go to bed. Some mornings there are just a few embers left so it takes a while to get a kettle boiling after rekindling, but I rarely wake up to a cold kitchen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive