Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Is it too late to plant fruit trees?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 11:41 am    Post subject: Is it too late to plant fruit trees? Reply with quote

We lost a couple of big trees in the storm and I'd like to put in a quince, a morello cherry, a damson and a john downey crabapple. Have I left it too late?

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't seem to have had any dormant period here - the grass has never stopped growing. I'd go with pot grown ones, or maybe some very northern grown barerooted trees, if you'd rather do it now (winter's only a few months away, though . )

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pot grown will be absolutely fine - I have a Mulberry still to plant. Where did you get your quince fro? I really fancy one of those and have been known to stuff my car full of large fruit trees when visiting the UK. Keeps the border security people out when you say they are prickly

VM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still - today - putting in the bare-rooted ones referred to in question on training etc. as I wasn't expecting April/May weather in early March - silly me.

But container ones should be fine if you are not putting them in this minute!

VM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envy you having room for quince. I love them but partner doesn't - so they are pretty low down our priority list! Now, if he would just give up on maincrop potatoes......

magicmaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it too late to plant fruit trees? Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
We lost a couple of big trees in the storm and I'd like to put in a quince, a morello cherry, a damson and a john downey crabapple. Have I left it too late?

Hi - I would look at the trees in your part of the world and see if the buds are swelling or even starting to open. It is better to plant when dormant and before the sap starts rising.
Here in Mid Wales I am still planting but there is little time now for bareroot but pot grown would be ok.

I travelled south yesterday and noticed how much further advanced the fruit trees are compared to here.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 14 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will look for some pot-grown ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive