Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sweet pepper pots (pots for peppers)

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 1:07 pm    Post subject: Sweet pepper pots (pots for peppers) Reply with quote

I need to get a load of pots to put sweet peppers in my new greenhouse and am contemplating using the 250guage flat pack poly pots because they appear cheaper than rigid plastic pots.

My question to all the sweet pepper gurus out there is what size should I get. Should I go for 10 litre or 8 litre (or something else). I could fit more 8 litre pots in the same space but would that be too close and too small a pot.

If 10 litre then is it better to get the taller thinner version or the wider version. What is the root system on a sweet pepper like, is it deep or wide.

This is the first year I have made a serious attempt at peppers and appear to have quite a few seedlings to deal with later.

Steve

tai haku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet pepper pots (pots for peppers) Reply with quote

SteveP wrote:
I need to get a load of pots to put sweet peppers in my new greenhouse and am contemplating using the 250guage flat pack poly pots because they appear cheaper than rigid plastic pots.

My question to all the sweet pepper gurus out there is what size should I get. Should I go for 10 litre or 8 litre (or something else). I could fit more 8 litre pots in the same space but would that be too close and too small a pot.

If 10 litre then is it better to get the taller thinner version or the wider version. What is the root system on a sweet pepper like, is it deep or wide.

This is the first year I have made a serious attempt at peppers and appear to have quite a few seedlings to deal with later.

Steve

I'd go the tall 10 litres. You'll probably get better results from a slightly lesser number of bigger plants. Also key is thinking about the variety you grow. I like to go with sweets that are flavourful (think mexican) and have slightly smaller pods; more small pods = greater overall yield than a few big ones.

SteveP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet pepper pots (pots for peppers) Reply with quote

tai haku wrote:

I'd go the tall 10 litres. You'll probably get better results from a slightly lesser number of bigger plants. Also key is thinking about the variety you grow. I like to go with sweets that are flavourful (think mexican) and have slightly smaller pods; more small pods = greater overall yield than a few big ones.

The varieties are already fixed - Corno di Torro Rosso, Kaibi Round #3, Marconi Purple, Sigaretta di Bergamo, Sweet Banana. ie. mostly Italian I think.

Tall 10lt pots imply the roots go deep. Is that the case?

Steve

Bodger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew on in pots and then when they were about 6" tall, I planted them directly into well manured ground, in the polytunnel. Last year may have been a fluke but I did really well with sweet peppers last year. I didn't grow in pots. I left a space of a couple of foot between plants.

tai haku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet pepper pots (pots for peppers) Reply with quote

SteveP wrote:

The varieties are already fixed - Corno di Torro Rosso, Kaibi Round #3, Marconi Purple, Sigaretta di Bergamo, Sweet Banana. ie. mostly Italian I think.

Tall 10lt pots imply the roots go deep. Is that the case?

Steve

I don't know that they go that deep. Just know I've had better experiences with deeper pots than shallower wider ones. I think it may be a variety of odd factors; root temperature and moisture variations with depth rather than simply a desire to push down a deep tap root.

SteveP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
I grew on in pots and then when they were about 6" tall, I planted them directly into well manured ground, in the polytunnel. Last year may have been a fluke but I did really well with sweet peppers last year. I didn't grow in pots. I left a space of a couple of foot between plants.

The greenhouse is on an old concrete caravan stand hence the need for pots. A couple of foot spacing sounds a lot, is that necessary? I was planning on 12inches. I suspect I am going to be on a steep learning curve.

Steve

SteveP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a mistake reading the catalog. The tall ones are only 8 litre.

Time for an eye test I think.

I will go for the 10 litre ones given the spacing between plants.

Steve

Nature'sgrafter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the amount of light they get peppers can be bushy and will meet causing the fruit to be unable to breath and go mouldy on the plant. so spacing is important.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a bunch of growbags on their ends? Not pretty, but...

bibbster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 14 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good idea NMG, unpretty or not

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 14 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature'sgrafter wrote:
depending on the amount of light they get peppers can be bushy and will meet causing the fruit to be unable to breath and go mouldy on the plant. so spacing is important.

Ditto.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 14 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed how huge the photo came out, sorry! Also it's not my pic, just grabbed from Google as I knew I'd seen it somewhere, and for some reason using growbags the wrong way up had never occurred to me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive