Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Festive Easter Food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 7:18 pm    Post subject: Festive Easter Food Reply with quote

So I haven't done any planning for this weekends food. At all. Family have made some hot cross buns, creme egg brownies are almost done, and a simnel cake is waiting to be covered in marzipan. I have some rosewood lamb in the freezer.

So what should we be eating this weekend? I'm going shopping later/maybe tomorrow and want ideas for celebratory deliciousness suitable for the seasons!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamb Shawarma

and

This

Chili and tomato sauce, yoghurt sauce, tahini sauce, bit of salad. Maybe some flatbreads.

nats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks good!! I don't have any Sumac - (what is it any way?!) - and I have 2 smaller shoulders so was thinking of doing them 2 together. Also don't have wild rice but have brown basmati - sure that would do although not as nice! And no I won't boil it for 40 minutes!!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumac is a bitterish spice. You could put a bit of tamarind in instead if you've got some. Or just leave it out.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or lime zest, perhaps.

nats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now realising I don't have fresh dill (not a fan) or fresh coriander either. Hurrumpph that's called bad planning. Still think I might do the lamb part but have it with roasties rather than rice, then do the rice maybe on tuesday with some of the left over lamb. Looks scrummy though!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aromatic crispy duck and pancakes made by Arvo! Yum!

marigold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just taken a chunk of Rosewood beef out to defrost overnight

MornieG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, not even thought about what we are going to eat for Easter Day. Had to work all week, even good friday ( all say ahhhhh now ) and only just realised we haven't been shopping. Looks like it could be an omlette !!!

Mo.XX

nats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now left over roast lamb in an omlette is divine!

joanne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As C and I are going to his sisters today, I did our Easter dinner yesterday. It's the first home cooked meal my Dad has had since 26th February when he had his stroke.

Because I knew I'd be doing ALOT of running around after him yesterday, we went to look at his new flat he's moving into next week and then went to do some furniture shopping, I deliberately made shortcuts where I could and choose a joint that wouldn't spoil if the timings got lengthened

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder with garlic roast potatoes, cauliflower & broccoli cheese, honey glazed carrots, stuffing & apple sauce followed by kiwi, strawberry & lime cheesecake

The stuffing was out of a packet and the apple sauce out of a jar plus the cheesecake hadn't set long enough but it all tasted great and my kids fell on the pork like they'd never seen food!

MornieG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Easter Sunday supermarket closed, quick riffle in freezer and ........................................it's going to be Tarragon Chicken and mushroom pie unless I change my mind after the chicken has thawed out.

Mo.XX

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simnal cake was the only "easter"special here unless i count the first bbq of the year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive