links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Apple mint

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 9:14 pm    Post subject: Apple mint Reply with quote

I had a lovely apple mint plant last year which came with the house. It was in a large pot along with another herb (unknown type but low growing). It gave me lovely mint all through the summer. In winter it started looking worse for wear so after looking on the internet I chopped it back to a couple of inches. Unfortunately it seems I've killed it as all I have now are bare sticks and no sign of life. The other plant in the pot seems to have taken advantage over the winter and expanded. Although only to about a third of the total space so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

So the question is where did I go wrong with my mint? Am I giving up on it too early in the year? And if it really is done for where would be the best place to acquire a new one? I love apple mint so any help would be much appreciated![/code]

12Bore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to wait, mint is notoriously resilient stuff, on the other hand, if you have managed to kill it, I see a new career beckoning!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 14 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to find you some apple mint Kariana so hold off buying any for now.

Please also remind me if you don't hear anything from me on it. We are very busy at the moment and I might get forgetful.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 14 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think apple mint is one of the mints that really likes space and isn't overly keen in a pot. It may still regrow and if it does or you get another one it would be worth putting it in a larger pot if you don't want it in the garden. Trimming it over winter shouldn't have made any difference. It's a mint that seems to like to run, the one I have has struggled in a pot but now it's in open ground it's throwing out 4'-5'+ runners!

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 14 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't come back through the sticks it just sprouts from the ground again.

If it doesn't come back soon, send me a message and I'll send you some of ours.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 14 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis one that likes a deep damp very rich soil be it pot or bedded

Kariana

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 14 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely dead! Think it might be due to lack of space. The pot is huge and it filled over half of it last year. The other, unidentified, herb took advantage of its ability to last through the winter and has now taken over three quarters of the pot. I have no idea what it is though so its not exactly useful in my cooking.

I've also realised I've managed to kill my ordinary mint plant that was in another pot, although im not as worried a out replacing that. Perhaps there is a new career on the horizon! I obviously trimmed back too harshly over winter.

Offers of new apple mint are much appreciated. I shall send you a PM.

Finsky

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 14 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in pot or chopping it down should not have killed it...however...I've had before vine weevil infestation in container and they did 'good job' with one of my mints over winter. The grubs just chomped through the roots.

I find apple mint particularly hardy...I had it years growing in thick grassy, lawn like area. I never planted it there but it must have been remnant years back from the previous owner. It never did grow into proper size but one or two shoots did poke through the grass each year....and then we started more regularly mow the area...that finished it off.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 14 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beside a compost heap is quite a good place to plant it

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 14 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kariana, I have both apple mint and spearmint growing as a sweet smelling carpet in my vegetable garden. I will dig some up later today and send you both so long as you promise to not hold it against me when they take over. PM me your address.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive