Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fuelpod2 (biodiesel)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 08 1:55 pm    Post subject: Fuelpod2 (biodiesel) Reply with quote

£2500.00 + vat. I'm thinking that if purchased between a few families this could pay for itself fairly quickly.

What do our techie downsizers think?

https://www.greenfuels.co.uk/

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 08 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the fuelpod, but the website buttons and scrolling banner are quite groovy
A.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 08 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea. I see they use methanol, which is more reliable than ethanol during the conversion process but it's nasty stuff. Could be a winner if it's reliable and the consumables aren't product specific.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 08 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cross between metal micky & a vac's.

Looking at the easy stages it ios glossing over the one most people dont want to do. The titration. It looks nice but in reality is no better than the cobbled together versions that can be made for peanuts using plans of the internet.

Justme

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 08 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Step 6: Hand over lots of duty to the taxman (but less than you would at the forecourts)? And if so, has it been taken into account in the payback time?

Just wondering.

Looks good otherwise for an off-the-shelf unit, although I'd share the slight concern about methanol. Not only is it extremely toxic, but it burns with an invisible flame. Not sure I'd feel too comfortable if it became a standard household item.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 08 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it does 50 lt a day how many chipshops does it take to keep it working full time ?

i will guess one a day , if they discard 50lt per week and that 50 lt will do one car for a week so that would be 7 chipshops and seven cars per unit . there are about 50 chipshops in the phone book of an area of approx 250000 folk
even allowing for other deep fryers in other catering outlets there is nowhere near enough used oil to go round if even a few folk get these things .

when they are rare it is a fine idea but peak chip oil will be reached with quite a low density of machines

however if you own a chipshop get one

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 08 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
Is there a Step 6: Hand over lots of duty to the taxman (but less than you would at the forecourts)? And if so, has it been taken into account in the payback time?

Just wondering.

I thought for small production you didn't need to pay any duty any more? Not sure what would happen if you formed a little co-op.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 08 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are my estimates of supply realistic ?
if im even close this is not a goer for all but would work if only a few units operate in an area
i recently investigated an old boat with an engine that would use old cooking oil with no treatment .supply of enough oil has become a problem and it is getting more costly but still much less than marine diesel if it is available
sensible amounts from food factories etc are mostly taken by commercial converters

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 08 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Shane wrote:

Just wondering.

I thought for small production you didn't need to pay any duty any more? Not sure what would happen if you formed a little co-op.

No its ok to use pure veg oil duty free upto 2500L per plant per year (so co ops are out). Making bio fuel will attract duty at the lower rate till 2010 then the full rate.

Ther pay back quoted will be worked out using the max output value so 50 l per day. Not many people use that much. 205056 miler per year at 50mpg.

Justme

snozzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 08 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:

You get a presonal allowance of 2500l free of duty

brettgilbert77

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 14 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before buying a foolpod, try looking into a biodiesel forum like vegetableoildiesel, there's lots of advice on processors.

Some off the shelf units may look a good deal, but may not actually be safe or produce good fuel. A home made, or made for purpose unit might be an alternative. There's a few makers on that forum who could construct a unit for that kind of money that would produce bio safely and of higher quality and volumes.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 14 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettgilbert77 wrote:
Before buying a foolpod, try looking into a biodiesel forum like vegetableoildiesel, there's lots of advice on processors.

Yeah, but they are dreadfully cliquey.

brettgilbert77

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 14 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
brettgilbert77 wrote:

Agreed, but there are some good guys there with lots of experience. There's also the Wiki at Biopowered and the vehicle info site at biomotors.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 14 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettgilbert77 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
brettgilbert77 wrote:

Agreed, but there are some good guys there with lots of experience. There's also the Wiki at Biopowered and the vehicle info site at biomotors.

They seem to get very upset if you tell them something they don't want to hear.
I think they think that ignorance of the law is an excuse and they didn't like me taking their excuse away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive