Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Decent LED bulbs?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 09 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not normal that I envisaged a striplight doing the striptease and sang 'the stripper' out loud as I posted that, is it?

Mutton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 09 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was the striplight dressed in slit dress and kinky underwear, or was it peeling its glass casing off?

Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 12 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonywilliams wrote:
led is the most energy efficiency source of lights.for more details please - link removed by mod -.

Blimey! Hugely expensive LEDs there, esp when you add the VAT back on to the prices shown. At those prices, it would cost me thousands to put LEDs in to my house.

Good job I bought my Cree-chipsetted LED bulbs elsewhere, and simply put them in my existing 240v light fightings.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 12 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In about six weeks, you should be able to pick up strings of LED lights quite cheap.
The dificulty is in finding ones that stay on and donT flash in pretty patterns.

vegplot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 12 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an LED candle bulb from Ikea recently to give it a try and found it gives very good light - a lot better than their pathetic CF's. At £6 it isn't too expensive especially when the B&Q equivalnet is nearer £12.

Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 12 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
In about six weeks, you should be able to pick up strings of LED lights quite cheap.
The dificulty is in finding ones that stay on and donT flash in pretty patterns.

I have one of those, inside of a particularly dark cupboard with lots of deep shelving. It's wrapped underneath each shelf, so lighting everything nicely. But each time I open the cupboard and switch it on, it seems to select one of it's fancy display settings so I get short flashes, long flashes, fades, moving pulses etc! I don't mind as it's quite fun, and still lights up the cupboard. If I need to make it stop, I can tap the contrl box twice, and it settles down to a constant bright light.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 14 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new house previous owners were single handedly keeping the electric company in business with their love affair with vast numbers of incandescent bulbs, which we have been slowly sorting, not just by replacing the bulbs but also to light fittings that need fewer bulbs.

Been starting on the GU10's and was considering a bulk purchase, it is notable now on Amazon that at a glance all the ratings for GU10 leds are 4 or 5 Such a massive shift from when this thread was started and I bought bulbs that were terminally useless.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 14 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, there's a huge difference between those early (expensive) LED's and the newer SMD's. We recently put 12 6W SMD's (~£3 each on e-bay) in the kitchen and it's almost too bright!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 14 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the light better quality now? I'd tried some a few years ago, and they were awful. Lasted brilliantly, but the light was worse than fluorescent strip lighting and made my eyes hurt.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 14 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weve replaced all the original ones we bought off ebay - shite and needed replacing after just a few months. Ill ask John where we got this lot that are in now - theyve been on quite some time now no problems.

perlogalism

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 14 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Is the light better quality now? I'd tried some a few years ago, and they were awful. Lasted brilliantly, but the light was worse than fluorescent strip lighting and made my eyes hurt.

Yes. You get a choice of "warm" or "day" white. Warm is more like the earlier poor quality LED's or an old compact fluorescent. The day white's are BRIGHT but can be a bit blue and cold. To be honest, they're cheap enough now to get a couple and see how you like them.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 14 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most LEDs will have a warm option, you want a colour temperature of 3000K or lower, preferably 2700K to get a normal colour light out of them.

Mutton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 14 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a long strip of LEDs under the kitchen wall cupboards - bright white. Find them to be excellent and going to get more as and when we need new light fittings. Only thing we got wrong was we bought the indoor version, strip of fabric with the lights on, rather than the outdoor - in a plastic tube. We bought the cheaper ones without protection, intending to build a cover over it and of course we haven't....(yet)..... So need to be careful not to let the kettle steam all over them. Had them in operation for about six months. Often light the kitchen with just the under cupboard LEDs shining down on the worksurface.
Yes it is a hard white light, but with it being under the cupboard onto the worksurface we've not had eye problems from it.

Jb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 14 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm (under 3000K) is good for living areas but I've gone for daylight (4000K +) in working areas. You can still get duff leds some times, basically by buying cheap unbranded leds off ebay

Cheap leds are prone to flickering which is more noticeable by some people than others. I notice it which means I buy branded Philips bulbs but they are more expensive.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 14 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my new ones are bright enough, you still need to watch for size, some GU10's don't fit for example

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive