Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Broody Again

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 14 2:53 pm    Post subject: Broody Again Reply with quote

My light sussex which hatched 7 chicks in May has gone decidedly broody again. She is in fine condition, was back among the others and free ranging in the poulerie. She is now in a nest box on some plastic eggs flat as a spatchcock and growling, while I ponder what is best to do.
Would you let her have another go this year?
I have a Brahma hatching some chicks today so could accommodate more in 3 weeks.
She was a lovely Mother to the 7 she had and not bothered by the attention the children gave her.
thoughts? please

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 14 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if she wants to sit she will be an ace mum.pamper her and arrange a new clutch ,a good broody is a wonderful asset .

Woo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 14 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
if she wants to sit she will be an ace mum.pamper her and arrange a new clutch ,a good broody is a wonderful asset .

Thank you for your reply.
I have been cleaning out the broody coop this morning in preparation.
I do feel fortunate. I have hatched for the first time this year and am quite chuffed with the effort my girls have put in.
I have 15 pullets racing about my feet in the mornings as well as 5 cheeky Muscovy ducklings so a few more wont hurt!

Woo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 14 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was lots of unsettled noises and a quick circuit of the field while the others looked on quite alarmed, but she has snuggled down on 12 eggs and is looking quite happy with it.

My Brahma has 6 little cuties snuggled around her this evening.
This is the bit of chicken keeping I really was looking forward to.It sort of makes up for the clearing our mountains of poo in the rain and wind and cold!

chickenlady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 14 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree...makes it all worthwhile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive