Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Book price question

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 11:24 am    Post subject: Book price question Reply with quote

Software people - can you help? Is this really worth that much? (I'm pricing some donations, can't do this one on experience and the price seems staggering!)

Hmm, I don't think it is but suggestions would be helpful!)

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Book price question Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
Software people - can you help? Is this really worth that much? (I'm pricing some donations, can't do this one on experience and the price seems staggering!)

I guess it depends on the right punter coming in, it looks like quite a techy book, would it even sell in a charity shop?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, kind of think of us as a bookshop that gives what it makes to Oxfam, rather than a charity shop.

I'm just pricing our several hundred heap of academic texts. They're averaging at about £10 - £20 and I expect to sell all of them. Donors will be pleased, students will get a bargain and Oxfam will do well.

I've just seriously underpriced and sold some Biochem books though.

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any medieval stuff there? Not original, obviously...

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Book price question Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:

It would also depend on how close the nearest educational establishment was that recommended it as a course book. Can you get hold of reading lists from nearby colleges/unis?

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
Yes, kind of think of us as a bookshop that gives what it makes to Oxfam, rather than a charity shop.

I'm just pricing our several hundred heap of academic texts. They're averaging at about £10 - £20 and I expect to sell all of them. Donors will be pleased, students will get a bargain and Oxfam will do well.

I've just seriously underpriced and sold some Biochem books though.

Ah, students. Didn't think of that. A lot of those techy books are really expensive due to small print runs, does that help?

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with software books is they're obsolete often before they hit the shelves. However topics like this are largely independent on emergent technologies and so retain their value for longer. No idea how much it's worth though.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 14 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About £20 I think and hopefully it will sell here.

Yes, we're a University town, the population tends to double when the students return. Reading lists can help but these are donated books so I tend not to worry too much and I can (shamelessly) undercut most of the opposition (which tends to be online) and still make a good amount of money.

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 14 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For academic books that is not that surprising a price. If it's in a charity shop it will be worth pennies because the "right" punter will not come in. I wouldn't sell it through a charity shop, but put it up on amazon to sell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive