Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Microwave
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn - here's a fairly typical magnetron (this one's upside-down):

The cooling fins can be orientated as shown or at 90° to this depending upon how the magnetron is placed relative to the fan, hence my note of caution about making sure you get the right serial number - on the Panasonic ones, it's the last character that designates orientation, if I remember rightly.

Might be worth Googling your model of microwave with the word "magnetron" in the search text to see what images it turns up. Once you've found it and read the serial number, type that in and see what shows up - a pattern replacement should be around the 30 quid mark.

arvo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing usefut to add that hasn't already been said but this discussion is fascinating.

Shane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be said "magnetron" is possibly one of the best words ever for a thingwotsit that actually exists in the real world

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now that we have a magnetron in our hand, does anybody know how they are getting on with using microwaves for wireless energy transfer...

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shane,that picture has helped enormously,

It sits right above the main Capacitor and is a doddle to replace,

I presume i will be able to see if the Graphite is cracked after removal,as it is,its mainly metal looking at it,but like yours,the air vents at the back were kind of partly blocked,and as the cooling fins face the fan inside the vents,that could be the reason it packed up,but it is around 8yrs old.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
It has to be said "magnetron" is possibly one of the best words ever for a thingwotsit that actually exists in the real world

We were just saying the same. It sounds like it should transform into a spaceship or giant robot or something.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 14 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
So, now that we have a magnetron in our hand, does anybody know how they are getting on with using microwaves for wireless energy transfer...

it works rather well for toasting a crowd

heart warming

as for running the fridge and telly i dont think so

Shane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 14 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruining the telly, maybe

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 14 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking you may have misunderstood. Look up "power beaming".
I'm thinking it may be a way of getting energy from a hydro plant in the river back to the house without a load of expensive copper.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 14 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was talking about this yesterday with our corporate innovations man. He was saying that there are new capacitors being developed that can store the same energy density as liquid fuel, and can be recharged at over 100 Amps. Made of sheets of carbon fibre a few atoms thick, just for extra coolness.

I thought it would be pretty cool if you could fit them to cars and have power beaming stations embedded in the road so that you could recharge them on the move.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 14 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
Was talking about this yesterday with our corporate innovations man.

Why did my careers adviser not tell me about that job?! Bit -ing late now.

Quote:
Made of sheets of carbon fibre a few atoms thick, just for exta coolness.

Do you mean graphene? I think I heard the same tale on the wireless.
I was most surprised to be told that it was first made using ordinary sellotape. Apparently, all you do is stick it on a block of graphite and pull it off, it takes a layer with it, stick tape to the layer & split the layer. Repeat until you're down to one atom thick.

Quote:
I thought it would be pretty cool if you could fit them to cars and have power beaming stations embedded in the road so that you could recharge them on the move.

I understand they have flown model helecopters with it, but I'm not convinced about charging cars on the move.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 14 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re non wire energy transfer there are rumors of some of teslas's ideas being developed and tested .

perhaps with weaponisation rather than sharing energy as the motive the tech might get to a functional stage but probably not in the best way it could be used .

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 14 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
re non wire energy transfer there are rumors of some of teslas's ideas being developed and tested .

perhaps with weaponisation rather than sharing energy as the motive the tech might get to a functional stage but probably not in the best way it could be used .

I believe it is functional, but not terribly efficient. It depends what you want it for: the big idea is beaming energy down from orbital solar collectors, we're a way off that I think.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 14 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
Shane wrote:
Was talking about this yesterday with our corporate innovations man.

Why did my careers adviser not tell me about that job?! Bit -ing late now.

The innovations thing is a fun little sideline for my group - and it means we get to do some cool stuff like play with Formula 1 teams.

Hairyloon wrote:
Quote:
Made of sheets of carbon fibre a few atoms thick, just for exta coolness.

Do you mean graphene? I think I heard the same tale on the wireless.
I was most surprised to be told that it was first made using ordinary sellotape. Apparently, all you do is stick it on a block of graphite and pull it off, it takes a layer with it, stick tape to the layer & split the layer. Repeat until you're down to one atom thick.

<Reaches for the sellotape>

Hairyloon wrote:
Quote:

I understand they have flown model helecopters with it, but I'm not convinced about charging cars on the move.

Hey - innovating is about coming up with fancy ideas. No-one ever said anything thing about them actually being feasible.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 14 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
the big idea is beaming energy down from orbital solar collectors, we're a way off that I think.

Doesn't that big yellow thing do that quite well at the moment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive