Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Flooring
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question is how much can you afford to raise your current floor without upsetting doors and such?

genesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with doors as we havent replaced these yet. One woory was the woodburners as we have had slate hearths put down

Dee J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its almost a case of 'you can't get there from here'. Trying to lay any sort of wood floor over a potentially damp, probably un-even surface is never going to be ideal.

For our lounge floor - currently about 50mm of concrete over soil with no damp course- we have the following plan. Break-up/dig out to a depth of 250mm. Blind with sand. Lay dpc. Then 100mm concrete. 75mm rigid insulation. 18mm t&g flooring chipboard as floating floor then floorboards (probably reclaimed). At with point it should be dry, warm, level and about the same height as before.....

Starting next tuesday...
Dee

Nature'sgrafter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wit dee take up the slate dig down ETC .

onemanband

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot Dee j said
Or similarly dig out and lay floorboards on joists, on brick piers, with insulation between/underneath joists.

Not saying that digging out is the only solution, rather that the 2 solutions above are tried and tested ways.
It may be possible to lay some form of damp proof layer, then batons and floorboards but there is more potential for damp issues and could raise floor level too much (unless you use spindley batons in which case floor could be bouncy)

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above,also the slate slabs are worth Good money,that people pay to lay kitchen floors.

genesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.I didnt think it would be simple. It would be a shame to put concrete over the slabs after we've just removed the concrete (there was no dpm etc and was causing damp problems. Many thanks

genesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 13 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted Dee and good luck!!!

Dee J

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 13 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, in some ways we are starting flom a slightly different point... you have a slate floor with a history - its part of the fabric of your house. And there's nothing wrong with slate over soil as long as its not covered and it's allowed to breath. In a previous house we had thick quarry tiles over soil - and once the lino, newspaper, screed and vinyl tiles were removed it was no trouble at all. But our current house has suffered much over its 3-400 years. Whatever previous floors were - packed earth/clunch/slate - they've long since gone - so I think we're allowed our bit of cultural vandalism. As for the slightly suspect green credentials of our chosen materials... our local climate (edge of Dartmoor) is so hostile that biodegradeable materials do just that - very quickly. At least the improved insulation and improved damp resistance should reduce the fuel bill.

Dee

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 13 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have recently lifted a large expanse of slate floor, several hundred years old. Dug out the area and then laid the necessary ground source heating system and then relaid the floor (okay not me personally). It is beautiful and even set to the lowest it is warm underfoot.

Another possible option.

onemanband

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 13 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
...... ground source heating system ....

Another possible option.

Do you mean 'underfloor heating' ?

Yes good option - re-use old floor slate, but bring the sub-base upto modern standards. And underfloor electric heating mats are easy enough to install (as opposed to hot water systems)

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 13 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, an underfloor heating system that is powered by some electricity which runs the ground source system? You know what I mean.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 14 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid putting down concrete as it will force moisture up through the walls creating a damp problem or making an existing one worse.

If it were me I would investigate digging out the slate floor, filling with foam glass gravel (insulating and will stop rising damp), cover with limecrete and finally the wood floor. This will allow the floor to breath without fear of damp getting to the wood.

Have a look at the Ty Mawr sweb site at https://www.lime.org.uk/

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 14 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with all of the above,do a proper job on such things as long term it will be nicer and cheaper than doing it properly later.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 14 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I would avoid putting down concrete as it will force moisture up through the walls creating a damp problem or making an existing one worse.

How and why does that happen, would it not be stopped by the damp proof course?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive