Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
World Wetlands Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 15 9:16 pm    Post subject: World Wetlands Day Reply with quote

Wetlands are one of our most important and most threatened habitats, home to a significant proportion of our remaining flora and fauna, and a significant carbon store (and pretty important to us here at Rosewood, too).

Monday 2nd February

www.worldwetlandsday.org

Quote:
This day marks the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on 2 February 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea.

Quote:
The future of humanity depends on wetlands

They purify and replenish our water, and provide the fish and rice that feed billions. Wetlands act as a natural sponge against flooding and drought, and protect our coastlines. They burst with biodiversity, and are a vital means of storing carbon

Unfortunately, these benefits are not widely known. Often viewed as wasteland, 64% of our wetlands have disappeared since 1900.

Help us turn the tide on the loss and degradation of our wetlands. Join us for World Wetlands Day 2015 – and beyond!

For RAMSAR sites near you see this link.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 15 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely the one I expected to find; Farlington Marshes isn't there. I can only assume it is not a Ramsar site but is all sorts of other Nature Reserve. All our local ones are coastal.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 15 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect there'll be something going on at many non-ramsar sites today/tomorrow too.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 15 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a wetland, but perhaps this might be of local interest to you.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 15 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt notice anything around the city being promoted to highlight the riverside wetlands which are often percieved as either wasteland or a park depending on the level of monoculture grass mowing underfoot.
spose i cant moan as i didnt organise owt

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 15 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was something going on at Wheldrake on Sunday, with bird ringing demos, bird box building for kids and guided tours of the Ings. Unfortunately most people don't care for wetlands, as you say, they're thought of as wasteland, to be drained and 'improved'.

Plenty bang on about the rainforests, even though they hold a smidgen of the world's carbon by comparison.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 15 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is bird ringing a bit like the "mouse organ"?

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 15 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 15 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I was aware of grazing of various sites around us. Some are on farms, in some cases farmers have their animals on the Downs, and in other cases animals are brought in for specific grazing jobs. Currently our Parish Council has some horses on one site and has put up fencing on another to graze a Down. The problem they often have is dogs, as we are rather suburban and so few people understand their dog will chase or at least upset grazing animals if not kept under control.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive