links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cordless circular saw

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 15 7:51 pm    Post subject: Cordless circular saw Reply with quote

I've looked at cordless circulars saws in the past but have been put off by the price. I note Lidl have one for £40 next week which is far cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

The main use I would have is cutting large boards up before loading them in my car. Full sized boards are much cheaper per square meter than smaller ones and the DIY sheds round here either don't offer an in store cutting service or if they do it's usually not working.

A quick calculation would suggest the saw would quickly pay for itself if it lasted a year and I do have a few other uses in mind.

Any opinions (useful ones)? I would consider a well know branded say but I don't have any modern lithium battery kit so I can't even save buy buying a body only.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 15 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it wise to use one in a B&Q car park?

If so, it has a three year warranty, and even the cheapest ones I've had ripped through boards easily, so worth the risk I'd say.

Although, our local builders merchant is half the price of even Wickes, and they deliver for free. Another option?

Falstaff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 15 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I'm tempted to get one of those myself !

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Is it wise to use one in a B&Q car park?

It wouldn't be B&Q but I know what you're saying. I've seen people cut up boards in a car park quite often but never seen someone do it with a power tool so it might raise a few eyebrows.

A suitable, good quality, hand saw will take longer but might be more acceptable.

My main concern about the lidl saw would be the quality of the battery. I would be more tempted if I needed a drill so I'd at least have two batts, but I don't.

It would be interesting to hear how anyone else gets on with them.

As for deliveries, I would expect to be charged so not worth it for just a couple of boards.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ripping a couple of boards into car size bits it might be a good buy.

for all day work it would not.

it is a bit underpowered for use with thick ,dense boards (25mm marine ply and such )or for cutting structural timbers but for generalframe timbers and medium boards it looks plausible,

the battery is 18v and with the motor stated it might give about ten mins cutting ie plenty to rough a couple of boards but rather frustrating if you want to make wardrobes

the blade looks ok for rough work but will probably fray a composite board or worktop and might be messy for cutting some hardwoods

for what you want the thing looks possible but TRY THE GUARD TO SEE IF IT LIFTS OVER A CORNER AND FLIPS BACK OVER THE BLADE EASILY if it does fine ,if not it will be horrid and dangeroos to use

ps an a and e consultant told me circular saws gave him his best diy related customers so have a look online for how to use them safely, for instance if the blade grips and jumps they can hop out of the groove and into the femoral artery area which stings a lot.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get away with ripping a couple of large boards into sections but if I start building a wardrobe in the car park I expect I'll get moved on.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I might get away with ripping a couple of large boards into sections but if I start building a wardrobe in the car park I expect I'll get moved on.

"What are you doing sir!"

"I've seen your prices. So I'm building a portal to get back to reality"

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely I'd be building a wardrobe to get away from reality? I suppose that would be even more risky in the current climate of Aslanaphobia.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Surely I'd be building a wardrobe to get away from reality? I suppose that would be even more risky in the current climate of Aslanaphobia.

Anything is possible if you have a wardrobe. Keep one in your back pocket for emergencies.

onemanband

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dpack said you want one that works properly/safely. Will a cheapo saw guard still work smoothly after it's been dropped or thrown in the boot a few times ?

When I replaced my corded circular I nearly bought a cheapy (cos mine gets a lot of abuse), but then I looked at them in the flesh and they were horrid - looked easily bent, heavy, badly balanced, nasty handgrips etc - got a Dewallet in the end and it's ace.

Even if the battery does hold enough charge for a B&Q visit, will you remember to charge it before you go ? Almost not a problem with Li-ion gear.

You justify £40 for just a years tool use, but I'd say buying decent cordless tools and batteries is a better mid to long term investment.

Rusticwood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 15 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamar Trading at Holsworthy cut to size, and I've always found the service excellent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive