links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Replacing web pages with pdf files?

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 11:50 am    Post subject: Replacing web pages with pdf files? Reply with quote

I'm having awful problems with my website at the moment, and I think the only way for me to tackle in in the short term whilst I continue my hunt for someone who can do a proper rework for me at a price I can afford is for me to save the whole thing to disc so I can reference what has been there, then wipe the entire lot completely from the host server and rebuild a page at a time starting with the most critical bits.

I've got a lot of pages about previous projects that I wouldn't want to lose but which aren't top of the list for getting the site up and running again, and I'm so busy at the moment its realistically going to take me several months at least to be able to rewrite those from scratch.

So, I'm wondering whether it would be sensible to save the current versions as pdf files and load those up, so, for example, someone wanting to read about our neolithic archer's outfit project currently clicks a link and goes to a web page on it, but if I do this, they'd go to a page where they can download a pdf of the same page instead.

Is that a silly idea? Is there a better way to keep as much info as possible available whilst stripping the site down to the most no-frills building blocks whilst I try to sort out the mess its got into?

I think most of these problems started when we moved the main site to wordpress, it was an inelegent mess before, but we never had any real problems with hacking attempts, and in the last year we've had about 5, each one of which has left holes in the code when its been weeded out. I have approached a few web developers about doing something new from scratch, but all the professional options are out of our current price range ( I have a budget of several hundred available, apparently this is one 0 too little for anyone professional to build a website) so whatever I do for the moment it has to be something I can manage myself.

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got wordpress properly locked down? I'd say it's probably not a good idea to go down the PDF route especially when your website is essentially your shop front.

Do you want me to take a look at it? I've got multiple wordpress installation experience and I know how to lock it down tight.

You can pay me in plague rats

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanne wrote:
Have you got wordpress properly locked down? I'd say it's probably not a good idea to go down the PDF route especially when your website is essentially your shop front.

Do you want me to take a look at it? I've got multiple wordpress installation experience and I know how to lock it down tight.

I'd love you to take a look, I've got the host site helpdesk unpicking a current problem, so lets give them a few hours to get everything up again and if you have time to do a bit of a health check on it I'd be very grateful indeed

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
joanne wrote:

I'd love you to take a look, I've got the host site helpdesk unpicking a current problem, so lets give them a few hours to get everything up again and if you have time to do a bit of a health check on it I'd be very grateful indeed

PM me the login details when it's back up and running and I'll have a look this evening.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can be affordable www.wiss.co.uk . Happy to heavily discount DS members.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
We can be affordable www.wiss.co.uk . Happy to heavily discount DS members.

And it'd be money well spent.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 15 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks vegplot I'll get Jo to help me trouble shoot to stabilise things for the moment, then will be in touch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive