Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What are you reading now?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 04 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldest brought home Winne the Pooh by A A Milne from school - I had a lovely afternoon reading it from cover to cover! OH has brought me swallow and amazons and thats next!

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 04 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I guess we've all had books for Christmas thought I'd bump this up to see what you folks are reading now!

I've just finished Swallows and Amazons, didn't read it as a child. A good book to remind you of carefree childhood summers!

Have also read Monty Don's Fork to Fork and am now on The Psychic adventures of Derek Acorah! (Mrutty will understand!)

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 04 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly between books at the moment as am not travelling and enjoying pottering at home, and knitting! - had started Alexander McCall Smith's Professor series but not got in to it yet.

Do not let anybody convince you to read Life of Pi which I have just, thankfully, finished. It's atrocious and has no redeeming features that I can think of . You are much better off with Winnie the Pooh, in fact I might have to dig out some old Paddingtons to cleanse my mind with .

mrsnesbitt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 04 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie, read The Daydreamer by Ian McKewan..................you'll love it.........you will weep out loud with laughter when you read it to your boys!

Fullup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 04 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your books sound so much more interesting than my current ones. I'm reading 'Teaching Scuba diving' and re- reading my old notes on diving. I'm booked on a scuba diving instructor foundation course in a couple of weeks. I've just got the course notes and apparently I'm supposed to know what I'm doing before trying to teach...oopps better get reading !!!

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 04 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimp & Zee
The Shrek Annual
Noddy Annual
etc...

daniel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For christmas I was given The Wee Book of Calvin by Bill Duncan, I haven't finished it yet but its been fascinatingly atmospheric so far. I say that but its not a novel, its an insight into what he percieves as the North-eastern Scottish mindset...
Also I recieved Jamie's Dinners by Jamie Oliver. I've tried his sticky toffee pudding recipe which was so soft, and softening its sweet date-iness. I didn't have the exact ingredients for the sauce so i just trhough some cream, dark sugar, and butter in a an and melted them together. An adjustment to his recipe would be cooking it in a cooler oven about 140 degrees for an hour, itjust wasnt done at 180 for 35 mins. I also want to try the roly-poly, he seems to have a better method of cooking it than the one in River Cottage Year. Jamie's one is stemed in the oven above a tray of bain marie. He does suggest using fresh fruit in it as well but i'd use a bag of frozen summer fruits at this time of year.
A book I finished not long ago was Nick Hornby's About a boy, which i thought was excellent,and with quite a differnet story the the film adaptation. And while I'm on it, I thought the soundtrack to that film, by Badly Drawn Boy, was outstanding.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quickly working my way through the Adrian Plass books, which can send you to two extremes of emotion in a matter of pages. I also am rading "one man and his plot", Cottage Economy, The complete atkins diet, and John Seymour.

Lindsay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix again, and am currently reading "Triumph of The Moon" by Ronald Hutton (library book) and Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen (present to myself).

I do have a pile of books to start, as the large library in Bexleyheath has closed for 9 months for refurbishment - I went on the last day they were open as they were flogging off ex-stock (fill a bag for 50p) and I got:
Fred Archer, Farmer's Son
Alison Weir - Elizabeth the Queen
Bernard Cornwell - Harlequin
Winifred Foley - Back to the Forest
Joyce Fussey - Calf Love
and Readymade Job Search Letters for the kids

Shame I haven't got anywhere comfortable to sit and read - I have a quiet room but no armchairs or beanbags!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good library bargain Linds, why were they selling the books.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rereaded "God Knows - Joseph Heller" the biblical David's story in his own words Something to offend everyone Most of it taken from his writings in the book of Jasher if ever you can find it.

jema

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitchen Garden Magazine! (In the bath, where all good magazines should be read!) I've just finished Alexander McCall Smith's 'In the company of cheerfull ladies, but I won't be starting any more for a couple of weeks, except things with titles like 'The NHS plan' from the DoH. Scuba diving sounds a lot more interesting!

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's this month's Kitchen Garden, WW, don't miss Bob on bananas.

Or rather, given your exisiting collection of weird plants, it'd be better if you do miss that page.

Treacodactyl already has plans involving our banana plants, the compost from the former pumpkin patch, and the middle bit of the greenhouse (cos it's taller...).

Who needs tomatoes and chillis anyway

Sarah D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a fascinating book by Margaret Fay Shaw called From the Alleghennies to the Hebrides; all about her life, collecting of Gaelic folk music, and marrying John Lorne Campbell and buying the island of Canna. A wonderful book, stunning photographs and hugely interesting story of her life, but definitely one for Gaelophiles..........
Not sure what's next. I'm sure I'll find something.

Deedee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 05 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved Urban Dreams,Rural realities by Dan Butler and Bel Crewe am just waiting on Out of your Townie Mind from WHSmiths I love James Herbert and have all his books apart from The City which is a bit like HFW's Cook on the wildside to get hold of..its only a comicbook(graphic novel they call them to bump up the price!) but it changes hands for £50+ on ebay I just want to read it as its a follow on to the Rats Trilogy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive