Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Small eco-style camping stoves
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
This looks quite funky. And folds flat which could be good with limited boot space.

This is somewhat cheaper.
(Wow! I managed a link shortening without a safety net! )

The link fairy wrote:

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 14 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that a lot, but it's not a small single burner stove, which is what I need at the moment (I might get one as well, though for other occasions)

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 14 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a car use that to charge things,

kelly kettle will boil water almost as fast as an electric one and cook dinner with sticks or charcoal

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 14 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't use the car when were away. I'm not actually that bothered about charging things. I want a single burner wood stove that's fast and efficient. At the moment it's between the biolite, the woodgas and the solo. There's a biolite on ebay, and if that goes for silly money I'm probably going for the solo. The lack of a grill and the secondary burning thingy are what's putting me off - I like woodsmoke! Which is also why I don't want a storm kettle.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 14 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The storm kettle with the cookset* means that you take the kettle off when it's boiled then stick the grill over the fire. Thus giving you smoky bacon.

The cookset includes a grill.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks OK and cheapish. Made in China but I bet 90% of the pricey ones are too.
Evil Amazon Linky

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things with woodburning is the amount of soot it leaves on your pans, you wouldn't use it in the porch of a tent unless very well ventilated & when your wet & cold & need a warm meal the most your fuel is wet as well (unless you're carrying some dry).
Trangias have gone green by default now anyway.
Meths is gone from most shop shelves & being replaced with bio-ethanol.
Far more controllable & cleaner than twigs IMHO.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twigs dont leak into ones loaf or fill a space with flammable vapour:lol:

for carry fuel i recon good charcoal is hard to beat and most places there are enough sources of wood to replace it.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
twigs dont leak into ones loaf or fill a space with flammable vapour:lol:

for carry fuel i recon good charcoal is hard to beat and most places there are enough sources of wood to replace it.
Anyone who carries liquid fuel in anything other than a recognised container made for the purpose deserves meths sandwiches.
I wouldn't use a trangia in an enclosed space like the inside of a tent but fine under an open porch/vestibule when it's tipping down. I backpack & weight & size are important.
You wont convert me I've been using Trangias for over twenty five years & only just had to replace the simmer ring & the pot holder/top windshield, & that only because I was using it with far to big & heavy a pot.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recon i can make a brew and cook dinner as fast with sticks /charcoal as i can with a stove

kelly kettles are ace for boiling a larger amount of water and with a decent bung can be used as a water carrier that is only a little heavier than a reused plastic bottle .

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did buy one. I still might though. I can tow the caravan now I have a whole car, so I can always use the gas in there. I prefer wood though, where it's practical. I like the idea of being able to make a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich on wood without having to wait for the bucket barbeque to heat up. I think I would use it a lot more than the barbeque. They do a barbeque version too, now.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a brew and to cook a few rashers some small twigs or split dry wood can do the job very well

stuff the diameter of a pencil is ideal for that sort of thing

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 15 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big kit to light a few sticks in is daft

knowledge weighs nothing and packs down into a very small pocket

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 15 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find a strong enough tin these days to make that lovely little barbecue? I think it is rather good apart from that.

As others say, I would prefer to use wood, although we make and and sell charcoal. English charcoal should light directly with a lighter btw, but I find, having used wood since I was a Guide, that I can control it better than charcoal. We use a storm kettle at shows because we are producing wood shavings and chips all the time which are ideal for fuel for the kettle. On a hot day, a fine wood shaving is virtually seasoned by the time it hits the ground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive