Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Loft insulation
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 15 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a possibility that you may be able to get some grant through your county council. Ours were offering it a little while ago, and I don't think you had to be on benefits to get it.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 15 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing on offer at our local council that I can get, well unless I'm willing to wait at least 9 months...

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 15 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any deals, but would recommend CCF for bulk purchase.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air-seal first!

GrahamH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not air seal if using laid lagging. By putting insulation on to the top of the ceilings means your loft will become less warm so ensure you lag any pipework and tankage within the roof space. Some do not fit the lagging below such items to allow the rising heat to warm these items. If choosing this method, lagging is placed over the top.
Sealed will cause problems with wood rot, you need a controlled air flow, not a gale.
If you are applying insulation to the underneath of the roof covering one can then air seal the roof space; air should circulate from the rooms below.
Soffits are sometimes fitted with the vents to allow the required air flow to insulated roof spaces.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamH wrote:
Do not air seal if using laid lagging. By putting insulation on to the top of the ceilings means your loft will become less warm so ensure you lag any pipework and tankage within the roof space. Some do not fit the lagging below such items to allow the rising heat to warm these items. If choosing this method, lagging is placed over the top.
Sealed will cause problems with wood rot, you need a controlled air flow, not a gale.
If you are applying insulation to the underneath of the roof covering one can then air seal the roof space; air should circulate from the rooms below.
Soffits are sometimes fitted with the vents to allow the required air flow to insulated roof spaces.

have no idea what the American equivalent of laid lagging is, but it sounds like you're talking about the difference between a hot roof and a cold roof. Seems like it's one of the most common screw-ups in DIY home improvement.

Don't rot your rafters!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
air-seal first!

I'm not sure what you mean but you wouldn't seal an old loft. As Graham says, leave ventilation around the edge of the loft and lay a layer of insulation between the ceiling joists, then a layer at 90° on top of that. Put insulation on pipes, leave an uncoverd area under a tank and take care to not cover cabling to avoid overheating issues. The rafters would be ventilated from the gaps in or around the soffits..

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
I don't know of any deals, but would recommend CCF for bulk purchase.

Thanks for that. They don't show online prices do they?

I've picked up some bottom lay 100mm insulation to start the project. I picked it up from Wickes with a £20 off £100 spend. Possibly more expensive but it means I don't have 50 rolls of stuff knocking around while I clean out the old rubbish.

onemanband

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to phone/visit branch for prices.
Not the sort of place you go for a couple of rolls or boards, but usually cheaper than merchants on large purchases. Also got trucks with forklifts on if you ordering lots of boards.
Oh and there's Sheffield Insulation They got on-line prices.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 15 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Slim wrote:
air-seal first!

I'm not sure what you mean but you wouldn't seal an old loft. As Graham says, leave ventilation around the edge of the loft and lay a layer of insulation between the ceiling joists, then a layer at 90° on top of that. Put insulation on pipes, leave an uncoverd area under a tank and take care to not cover cabling to avoid overheating issues. The rafters would be ventilated from the gaps in or around the soffits..

I forget how differently our homes were built. By and large we don't have any plumbing in attic spaces.

I meant to air seal the living space from the attic space, the attic space should still be well ventilated, and is often times benefitted by increasing the ventilation. Spray foam, or at least caulking around ceiling panel joints, around the top plate of the house, around any intrusions through the ceiling panel. etc.... that's what I meant by air sealing before putting down the new insulation.

Here's a nice diagram showing the jist of what I'm saying
https://sunshinecontractingcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/insulation-diagram_winter1.png

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 15 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Loft insulation Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I need to clean out the old insulation in a loft and insulate it from scratch.

Firstly, I don't suppose anyone is aware of any deals at the moment? You used to be able to pick up loft insulation for a £1 a roll but those deals are long gone. Not being on benefits and having some insulation seems to rule me out of anything I can find.

Secondly, is there anything special I should be looking for? The cheapest options seem to be the recycled glass or plain glass mineral wool.

Prices seem to be £20 for around 5.5 SQM @ 20 cm thick.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=nt-hiya&utm_term=29-Sep-15-v4&utm_campaign=utilities&utm_content=17#britishgas

They're talking as if the deals are back on, maybe.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 15 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Nick but I still fail on the following "You have existing loft insulation more than 50mm thick, covering more than a third of the loft. "

The good news is the Wickes insulation I mentioned to is now buy 2 rolls for £30 and they currently have a spend £100 get £20 off reusable offer, so I've got another car load at the reduced price and another £40 off. Thankfully I have a roomy gas guzzling 4x4 to get it all in.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 15 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope your vacuum cleaner has a long lead,i found out the hard way that the wrapping on insulation might be ok on your rolls but if one split beforehand it sticks to the outside of the packaging until it meets a car seat.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 15 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't seen the car, I use dust covers to keep things clean when I put them in the car, not to keep the car clean.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 15 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

however there is dirty and there is horribly itchy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive