Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
muzzles ,a warning (nowt too scarey or unpleasant)

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 16 2:28 pm    Post subject: muzzles ,a warning (nowt too scarey or unpleasant) Reply with quote

have a spare ,i have just ordered a new running basket for the big lad after an hour of looking around the house for the one we (i ) seem to have lost

i took it off him a couple of days ago but i seem to have lost it either on the way home or somewhere in the house .

as he is a big lad with a pointy snout (think ant eater) a visit to a pet shop or vets etc is likely to lead to disappointment .

tis a lovely afternoon for a run in the muddy swamp but i cant risk him grabbing ki's legs when they are playing or fetching a small fluffy mutt as a gift.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 16 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my two muzzled when we are out in public.
One vets bill for next doors cat was enough.
It has modified their behaviour as well.
It's funny though how some people react to them when they see the muzzles. I keep telling people they will be OK as long as they haven't been eating fava beans & drinking chianti but they don't believe me.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 16 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 16 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary of a muzzled dog. Any dog might bite. But one with a muzzle on has a track record! Greyhound types are exceptions, as I've known so many that were muzzled for their own safety.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 16 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a dog in a muzzle cant bite

he might give something a bit of a bump even if he cant bite.he can flip a mastiff even in a muzzle.

the big lad can get over excited and play rough when they are running together, a no teeth order with a basket does even things up for ki who is a little slower on solid ground (but faster in a swamp or soft sand) although she is very able to bite if needs be

it is also much safer for any random small critters ,ki just turns and returns them to my feet (salukis are good at live catch),he is half greyhound and might grab which would be unfortunate for whatever got grabbed.

there is also the issue of his difficult childhood and some behaviours i am still training him out of.

27 kg of athlete moving at close to 50 mph is best without the teeth option just in case

ps off lead he is very sociable and polite as well as having good distance obedience/recall but i will not risk him getting into bother by catching some small fluffy mutt.as he is faster than most things if he has a problem with a grumpy mutt he can run away

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 16 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
a dog in a muzzle cant bite
Exactly. & my dogs track record has more to do with hanging from Alsatians necks & playing tug of war with kitty.
They are both 100% with people.
Good with kids, but I wouldn't leave them alone with young kids because young kids are far less predictable than my dogs.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 16 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Can you get child versions?

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 16 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 16 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
yep

I can see the holes in the plasterboard walls once little Johnny works out that can be used offensively.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 16 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new running basket just arrived ,a big up for jans greyhound gifts ,good value,good coms and rapid

www.jansgifts.co.uk

tarvae

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 16 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have muzzles for the collies, Harp is in one so that she can't constantly nip at Sam to make him run faster and he's in one as he's a tennis ball thief of epic proportions and trying to apologise to other dog owners gets old fast...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive