Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
USe for Dog Hair (other than choking the vacumn cleaner)?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 16 2:05 pm    Post subject: USe for Dog Hair (other than choking the vacumn cleaner)? Reply with quote

Our Springer looks more like a Herdwick sheep than a dog (I kid ewe not). So much so the sheep don't run away from him any more in a field.
So instead of paying £35 for another haircut I've ordered electric clippers (its a Whal something) and will do it myself.

Can I use the hair for anything? - or should it go on the compost heap. He's a sort of faded 'liver' colour at the moment so a wig is probably out of the question.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 16 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go...

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 16 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guard hairs are a bit spikey and slippery but underfur and soft coats are quite good for yarn and felting.

i keep meaning to do something with the binliner full of assorted mutt fluff.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 16 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samoyeds are superior in this regard. I once had friends with two of them, who saved me the fleece when they blew their coats one spring. Sent the rather large box to my sister who lives abroad. It caused some concern at customs - I labeled it dog fleece, for spinning - and they were not sure about the contents. This was many, many years ago.

I think that the First People who lived in the Pacific Northwest used to have a breed of smallish white dogs kept for their useable fur.

And there was a woman I knew who used to invite passing collies into her house for a brush up, spun and knit herself a sweater. Which on damp days smelled like a damp dog . . . .

gythagirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 16 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it til early Spring then distribute around garden for birds to use to line their nests...

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 16 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam Lady wrote:
Samoyeds are superior in this regard. I once had friends with two of them, who saved me the fleece when they blew their coats one spring. Sent the rather large box to my sister who lives abroad. It caused some concern at customs - I labeled it dog fleece, for spinning - and they were not sure about the contents. This was many, many years ago.

I think that the First People who lived in the Pacific Northwest used to have a breed of smallish white dogs kept for their useable fur.

And there was a woman I knew who used to invite passing collies into her house for a brush up, spun and knit herself a sweater. Which on damp days smelled like a damp dog . . . .

I love the idea of a smelly dog jumper.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 16 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gythagirl wrote:
Keep it til early Spring then distribute around garden for birds to use to line their nests...

Thats a nice thought too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 16 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be having a bit of a clip when the weather warms up normally thrown away-this years crop will be going to the birds, I thought of a cushion once, but realised it would have become felt if I sat on it.

jettejette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 16 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Australian friend made a pair of mittens from her dogs hair!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive