Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Where can I get small acrylic blocks (for block printing)

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 7:42 pm    Post subject: Where can I get small acrylic blocks (for block printing) Reply with quote

I'm doing a Masterclass in block printing at the end of June, so just starting to sort out materials.

The whole process is so much easier if we can mount the blocks (cut on 2mm lino) on acrylic blanks. All the 'crafty' suppliers have them but my materials budget per student is miniscule (around £2 - £2.50 each), so just wondering of anyone can think where else I might get some.

It needs to be pickupable, so a decent depth - ideally cut to a standard size, 5 to 6cm square would be perfect but I may be able to sort out a way of chopping up a larger sheet.

EV

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried eBay?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Have you tried eBay?

Yup, that was my first port of call, that and Amazon.
They're not expensive (a few quid each) but I need at least 2 for each for 10 people.

EV

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be acrylic? Would wood do? Is it just to make, essentially, a handle for the Lino?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Does it have to be acrylic? Would wood do? Is it just to make, essentially, a handle for the Lino?

Yes, but the benefit of using acrylic is that it makes it an awful lot easier to position each 'mini' print. The craft ones come with a printed grid, even better. I'd get them to mark key points of the design on the underside of the lino to help line things up.

EV

p.s the lamb (hogget actually) was meltingly good

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off cuts from a sign makers might do the job .
if you have to find cutting facilities(a college or joiners workshop with a table band saw would be good but a pillar band saw would do part sheets)

if you are cutting they might need a quick sand on the edges as most blades made for wood can leave them with rather sharp bits(again workshop kit will be easiest)

if you have a lot to do and a big sheets of lino and acrylic to start from it is easiest to glue them together(evostick) first and then chop them into squares.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 16 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another possible source of off cuts are folk who make display stands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive