Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Free (simple to use) Video Editing software?

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 6:44 am    Post subject: Free (simple to use) Video Editing software? Reply with quote

I foolishly offered to make a short video (from footage taken on my phone). I downloaded VSDC (its free) but it seems my laptop can't handle it (barely runs).
Is there any no-frills software out there that people can recommend?

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows movie maker is part of the package with some of the os versions,it is a no bells and whistles thing but the timeline editing is really easy and quite adequate.

avoid overuse of the "effects" when editing segments together as they come across as annoying rather than "arty"

iirc it has a storyboard to plan the sequencing which you can then cut shot video to match, if im having a senior moment and it does not, write a story board on paper and edit the footage to that.

PPPPP.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video editing is very processor intensive. Free apps are often 'infected' with adware/trojans/bots (almost everyone at some point wants to edit video and they're easy victims). If your laptop is struggling with what you've got it's unlikely that you'll get much traction with alternatives.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it simple

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Free (simple to use) Video Editing software? Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
I downloaded VSDC (its free) but it seems my laptop can't handle it (barely runs).

Have you compared the system requirements with your system and checked that you don't have lots of background clutter slowing things down?

Quote:
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP SP3 / Vista / Win7 / Win8 / Win10
Intel, AMD or compatible processor with the work frequency at 1.5 GHz or higher
Screen resolution: 1024x768 pixels with 16-bit color or higher
RAM 256Mb for the program
Microsoft DirectX 9.0с or higher
At least 50 MB of free disk space

They don't seem particularly high... I'm wondering if there's something in my loft that'll meet those. I think there is not, but I'll look next time I'm near it.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 16 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be a matter of converting the phone footage into a different format before editing.modern phones can be too high res for easy editing on a lappy.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 16 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded Movie Maker and it does the job and works on my lappy
Thanks very much for the info

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 16 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome.

i have found movie maker much better than some of the industrial strength packages especially unless you build a tower pooter with lots of ram and graphics boards to run them.

a couple of things re phone /small camera to presentation standard.

phone/camcorder microphones are carp,use a decent microphone and overdub any commentary/acting or whatever in production(or record the sound using sound equipment when filming.)

beware of trying for high resolution in the final rendered product
use mpeg 4 compression which most things will be able to play and make look good.

clean cuts work better than the fancy fades between shots imho but using a titled break page between parts (think silent movies) can work and is far easier to read than overlaid text.

the cutting selection for exactly the right start and end of each shot gets easier with practice

have fun

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 16 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtleyLad wrote:
I've downloaded Movie Maker and it does the job and works on my lappy
Thanks very much for the info

I stand corrected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive