Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
duck and chicken eggs

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 16 3:19 pm    Post subject: duck and chicken eggs Reply with quote

One of my ducks has been trying to get in on the action with one of my broody hens.
I don't have a drake so her own efforts are pointless.
the broody has hatched 2 chicks from her original clutch and I have moved her into a small run as after 3 days there have been no more chicks. the other eggs are later deposits made by the other hens which are part incubated and I couldn't tell which were her original few.
I excluded all comers for a few days to give her peace and quiet.
this morning after I moved mrs chicken and her small family out, mrs duck made a beeline for the house and tidied up. cleared out an egg with a dead chick in and settled down.
I don't know how much luck she will have but has anyone had success with ducks bringing up chicks?
we only have a washing up bowl for the ducks to do their ablutions in, but will she try to teach them her duck like ways??

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 16 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc broody hens can raise ducklings,not sure about the other way round.

no harm to let her sit for a while to find out.

if she does i hope the chicks are "waterproof"

Woo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 16 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one chick hatch earlier in the summer under another duck,
it was the same day as another clutch were hatching so I carefully snuck her out from behind the ducks back, avoiding her anger and popped it under the hen. the duck then continued on to hatch her brood 2 weeks later!
she was sat looking quite content when I checked on them a bit ago.
she had pulled the nest to order. she built a great nest around the eggs when she was trying to kidnap them, lined it with her feathers and built up the sides.
my hens are a bit more slab dash. one had taken up residence in the collecting trailer of a ride on mower on top of left over grass clippings.
I will wait and see....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive