Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Single quail

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 16 7:39 pm    Post subject: Single quail Reply with quote

Due to the stupidity of quail (and in a bid to monopolise the poultry section!), I now have one lonely lady. Her friend escaped over the head of my chicken sitter while I was on holiday, and her husband (I suspect) flew into the side of the coop last night and damaged his neck. I found him unable to stand, with a twisted neck this morning and as he was no better this afternoon (he couldn't get off his side, and was unable to eat or drink) I put him out of his misery this afternoon.

So what to do with Ms Quail? I very much want some more, but everyone says you can't introduce new ones. I had thought of roasting her, and getting some new ones in a couple of weeks once the cockerels go, because it would ease housing pressure. But she's my favourite colour and it seems extreme if she won't mind a short solitary spell and can be mixed with a new flock later.

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 16 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont be able to add any females but you should be able to add a male bird.
Once again its just a shame that everyone is spread so far and wide. I say this, because I just happen to have some spare cock birds.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 16 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a nusciance. It'll be a pain keeping one pair separate, mind. I'll have to buy another house just for them, which seems a bit daft. It also seems a bit daft to cull her, for no other reason though.

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started keeping quail. I managed to get ten eggs to hatch and nine out of the ten were males. I gave the hen and the cock to a friends and ate or gave the rest away. I ended up buying nine yearling laying quail in.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I impulse bought a trio, but I'd like more ladies. J adores the little eggs, especially poached. What do you keep them in?

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo later on today.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 16 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. The daft thing escaped.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive