Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
on a happy theme...please join in we need it
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Author 
 Message
Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 8419

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 16 7:28 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Look good. I was given a patty pan squash today. One of the men who helps at the food bank brought a lot of runner beans, some beetroot, marrows and squashes for us volunteers. He grows them on his allotment. So far I have managed potatoes and a few sugar peas. The blackberries are coming on though, and I picked enough yesterday to have with some strawberries and ice cream.

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 8419

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 16 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Went out into the garden yesterday evening and the smell of the buddhlia was amazing.

Woo



Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 766
Location: Mayenne, Pays de Loire
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 16 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

We were given a basket full of mirrabelles yesterday by our lovely neighbour.
today they are jam, stewed spiced plums, vanilla stewed plums ready for the store cupboard and freezer and a plum cake for tea.
I'm a bit warm now...
its 40 degrees on the monitor and the pool looks tempting despite being full of noisy beasties.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32591
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 16 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

i read that as nosy beetles which could be far more intrusive than noisy ones

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 8419

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 16 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    



I managed to get mange tout peas and kale for dinner. Doesn't sound much, but with the way my garden has grown this year, it is amazing.

Woo



Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 766
Location: Mayenne, Pays de Loire
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 16 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dpack wrote:
i read that as nosy beetles which could be far more intrusive than noisy ones


they are nosy though!

Sherbs



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Posts: 1931
Location: Swansea
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 16 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

My chilli plants are absolutely bursting with chillis this year, I can't keep up with picking them and we can't eat that much chilli so I think some people are going to be getting chilli oil for Christmas

Woo



Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 766
Location: Mayenne, Pays de Loire
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sherbs wrote:
My chilli plants are absolutely bursting with chillis this year, I can't keep up with picking them and we can't eat that much chilli so I think some people are going to be getting chilli oil for Christmas


they freeze well, not that chilli oil isn't great. I still have bag from 3 years ago which I dip into and grate into food from frozen.

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 8419

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 16 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

My kale is still producing gently, we have had a couple (and I mean just a couple) of runner beans, and the odd handful of mange tout peas. The sprouting broccoli has finally started to grow, so although I am not expecting much through the winter, we will have some of our own veg.

gz



Joined: 23 Jan 2009
Posts: 5790
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 16 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

The Tuscan Cavolo Nero kale is doing very well in the raised bed..quite closely planted, thankfully in this wind! Looking forward to overwintering leeks too.
We're pleasantly surprised at how much we've had from two 6'x3'beds and one metre square bed.

Sherbs



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Posts: 1931
Location: Swansea
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 16 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Woo wrote:
Sherbs wrote:
My chilli plants are absolutely bursting with chillis this year, I can't keep up with picking them and we can't eat that much chilli so I think some people are going to be getting chilli oil for Christmas


they freeze well, not that chilli oil isn't great. I still have bag from 3 years ago which I dip into and grate into food from frozen.


Thanks for this suggestion, I was thinking of drying them but maybe now I think I might freeze some instead

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 8419

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I tried the other sort of kale last year, but didn't like it as much as curly and it was no better at overwintering, so have gone back to curly this year. I have a few leeks in, but they didn't do very well, and son dropping some branches on them not noticing they were there didn't help much either.

Slim



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 4450
Location: New England (In the US of A)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mistress Rose wrote:
I tried the other sort of kale last year, but didn't like it as much as curly and it was no better at overwintering, so have gone back to curly this year. I have a few leeks in, but they didn't do very well, and son dropping some branches on them not noticing they were there didn't help much either.


If by the "other kale" you mean a toscano variety, we grow it exclusively. Much better for making smoothies in the morning!

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32591
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    



my idea of a morning smoothy goes like this

500gm fresh tomatoes ,frozen to -5 c
dash worcester sauce
dash angastura bitters
tsp fresh grated horseradish
300ml good vodka,chilled to 3 c

blend,pour.

a basil leaf decoration is optional.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32591
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 16 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

for a citrus alternative shamalamas are pretty good first thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->