Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How long does fudge keep?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 9:12 pm    Post subject: How long does fudge keep? Reply with quote

I am thinking about making fudge for adding to an advent calendar for the boys as all the chocolate ones in the shops have palm oil in them. My recipes all say - keep in an airtight container - so what would be the best way to keep a batch 25 days?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a new batch every day and eat the bits you don't need for the advent calendar?
Seriously, no idea. I've never kept fudge for more than a week. As long as it's somewhere dry it should be fine though. I'd have thought soaking up moisture would be your problem rather than air per se.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear on what you want to do - will there be 25 pieces of fudge put in the Advent calendar all at once or is a piece of fudge handed out one day at a time?

If all at once I think anything over 14 days is pushing it. You could try wrapping individual pieces in wax paper, over-wrap with tin foil, then "top coat" with plastic wrap. Each piece has a 3-layer wrap. We sometimes have "holiday" plastic wrap with snowflakes or whatever for seasonal embellishments.

If handing out once piece at a time - lightly score the pan of fudge to indicate cut lines. Wrap the block of fudge in wax paper, then tin foil, and put into plastic storage container. Remove to cut that day's handout pieces of fudge, re-wrap as tightly as possible and back into storage container. Do try to cut so the block of fudge has straight edges.

If plastic wrap / plastic storage container are an anathema for you then ignore the above suggestions.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-3 weeks tops, they say.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it freeze? Or would it go (more) crumbly? I suppose you'd need to test it. No good if you want to fill it up in one go though.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maple fudge keeps practically indefinitely, but that's a whole different animal, and probably prohibitively expensive on your side of the pond (unless I've finally convinced someone to try to make syrup over there)

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks - I was thinking about the boys being able to eat a piece a day I so could keep it in a tin (sorry that wasn't clear) .... I could make one batch on Nov 30th ready for the first say 12 days and then either make a second batch or make something else like coconut ice for the remainder of advent. I did read that it doesn't freeze well.

Woo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea Rosie. Slim we have seen maple syrup here, its safe to visit.
funny how no one knows how long a box of fudge will last.
reassuring not everyone keeps packets of fudge in the cupboard, stiff upper lip disciplined not snaffeling the stuff!
it would be like asking how long a bottle of good wine will keep after opening

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fudge freezes and defrosts really well, in fact it doesn't really harden that much. Obviously when you take it out you may need to deal with condensation so it couldn't go straight in to the advent calendar pouch but it does at least make it more convenient to mix up a big batch in one go without being forced entirely against your will and better judgement and the desperate sad eyes of any passing dog to eat it all at once.

Ahem. Anyway could you wangle something with advent clues eg 3rd: Benny, look in the oven, Billy, check your left Wellington. That way you aren't constrained to the size of the pockets and can give them socks or screwdrivers that you might have got them anyway on some days and a piece of fudge or cake on others.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like that idea Bugs. We have kept fudge for months in just a cardboard box with the normal waxed paper inside. It may not be as good, but as I am not keen on fudge anyway it tastes as good/bad to me as when it is fresh.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Ahem. Anyway could you wangle something with advent clues eg 3rd: Benny, look in the oven, Billy, check your left Wellington. That way you aren't constrained to the size of the pockets and can give them socks or screwdrivers that you might have got them anyway on some days and a piece of fudge or cake on others.

I like this idea. In the past I have made calendars and given them a mix of small amounts of money and bought sweets - I really don't have the time to make an advent calendar this year so this means I don't have to ... and like you say, they always need new socks etc.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what Christmas stockings are for!!

We have just done a treasure hunt for Dinovember and J loved them. I have been forced to make them all evening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive