links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bulk damson and nut trees?

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 17 2:49 pm    Post subject: Bulk damson and nut trees? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of places that sell reasonable quantities of damson or nut trees?

Damsons, for example, tend to be sold as fairly large trees for around £30. I'd rather buy 10 or more small whips rather than than 3 large trees. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells small cultivars.

I'm having the same trouble with hazel nut cultivars, the ones I've bought in the past have been quite big plants and I'd rather buy small whips provided they are named cultivars.

Can anyone suggest places to look?

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 17 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linky to rv roger who might be able to help.

somewhere i have a lead on decent value named hazel and cobb whips but i think it might have been on quite large numbers to get them cheap , iirc 100 were about £2.50 each

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 17 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest supplier used to be simpsons in cambs. I think they closed down though.

Frank p Matthews used to be quite cheap on hazels, I think I paid around 5.65 about 5 yrs ago

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 17 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did once find a hedge supplier that sold damson seedlings very cheap but can't remember the name. Might have been scottish

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 17 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to get hazel from a forestry supplier, but they won't be named nut varieties. Not sure about damson, but you might get them. I would try to get British raised ones either way. After the problem with Chelara in ash, I would be very worried about buying imported stock.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 17 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can get common hazel for pennies and I can collect my own. I've also tracked down some plain Filberts for under £5 each but I specifically want named cultivars, i.e. ones that have been bred for nuts.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I've ordered some fairly cheap damson type tress, probably more bullaces, but I'd like some good small plants as the damsons I've bought so far have been large plants that don't seem to establish well.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 17 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Frank p Matthews used to be quite cheap on hazels, I think I paid around 5.65 about 5 yrs ago

They seem to have a decent range. Have you posted any updates on your hazels at all? Curious to know how well they've done and the quantity of nuts you've had.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 17 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More nuts than we can sensibly harvest, but then we have 224 of them. Pruned them with tractor mounted hedgecutter so should have much less this year

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 17 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For rods we cut the shrubs at ground level with a chainsaw. This is quite quick and gives a good result as far as regrowth is concerned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive