Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Apps for foraging

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 17 6:20 pm    Post subject: Apps for foraging Reply with quote

I am not to happy with the apps I have. The main ones I have are for Fungi. Does anyone else use one? and what's your opinion on it?
Next I want one for edible wild plants, again has anyone got one and your opinion on it.
Trees would also be useful.
Now the the main thing I have problems with is recording and saving both location and description of food source.
The latter is my main problem, so strictly speaking it doesn't have to be a foraging one.
Thank you

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 17 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a gps with waypoint+description function would do the location and id thing my garmin can do such things but as a forage map it is a clunky system to get useful info out of.

i tend to remember what i have found in a place by time of year (or come back later) and dont keep records beyond remembering " that dead tree is good for velvet shanks for a few years " or " field 4/5 , 5 posts back , st georges"or "the may mussels are smaller but have a better flavour"

a good app that could record location , time, find, etc as well as link to relevant and accurate info re id, toxicology, recipes etc would be a rather nice tool.

hackers stole my samphire is a downside of that sort of info on one big database

if i was going to make a forage data base i recon place name/os map reference/gps, find, date and any other info kept in a ledger and cross referenced to a perpetual diary by page number from date and find would be a good way to decide where to go pottering today.

for example a diary entry for november 15 th might say field blewits/ pg 267 and page 267 of the ledger would say corner of the flood bank by the horse field, let the hounds loose as bunnies pass by .
a more detailed location could be provided

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 17 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post on an app that anyone can access, don't you find all and sundry go to the place, remove anything edible, do a lot of damage and annoy the land owner including people like NT and Forestry Commission. I am not into this app lark, so have no idea what is available or if it is just an aide memoir for yourself.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 17 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
If you post on an app that anyone can access, don't you find all and sundry go to the place, remove anything edible, do a lot of damage and annoy the land owner including people like NT and Forestry Commission. I am not into this app lark, so have no idea what is available or if it is just an aide memoir for yourself.

Apps can be just for personal use, so not broadcasting required.

Google maps on a smart phone allows you to drop a pin in a location, and add notes to it. You can stick a label to within a few feet to say Plenty of wild garlic here, June 12.
You can save them in lists, so you could have mushrooms, herbs, branches of Greggs, etc.
You can also share them with the world, or specific people by text or email.
Any use?

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 17 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought of doing google maps, but it just seems clunky....

Maybe I'm just not practiced with their options.

I'd love to be able to have locations pop up by date, though I suppose by species would work in just about the same manner.

sd-235

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 17 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim idea would be the perfect app but can't find one.
There is no chance of telling anyone where I have a foraging find.....unless its of benefit to me ie firewood.

sd-235

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 17 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

Yes an aide memoir for myself.

sd-235

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 17 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

Apps can be just for personal use, so not broadcasting required.

Google maps on a smart phone allows you to drop a pin in a location, and add notes to it. You can stick a label to within a few feet to say Plenty of wild garlic here, June 12.
You can save them in lists, so you could have mushrooms, herbs, branches of Greggs, etc.
You can also share them with the world, or specific people by text or email.
Any use?

Didn't quite grasp what you were saying first time I read your post. Would it show up on all my devices. ie avoid me having to move info from one device to another and of course the possibility of losing info and never finding the Prince and Scarlet elf caps again? Opps the later has already happened!

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 17 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing so if you sign in to a Google account on each device.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive