Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What I do on Mondays!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 17 12:14 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Mistress Rose wrote:
Sorry to hijack your thread Buzzy, but we saw the first wood anemone yesterday in a warm part of the woods. It came up in bud first thing, and by half way through the morning it was in flower with a friend in bud next to it.

How lovely MR. I'll be looking out for them next time we are out - we often go to a nearby site where we look for the uncommon fungus associated with WA - Dumontinia tuberosa.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 17 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I will look out for that. I saw something on Saturday that may have been that or scarlet elf cap. It was partially buried in leaves, and I only saw it through a fence while I was holding a gate open. I will have another look tomorrow when I am up there. I know they are supposed to be different colours, but the shape is similar, and I couldn't see it terribly well.

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 17 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

When Sunday was so wet and miserable, I had feared that today's walk might be cancelled. But no, the weather gods relented, and sent us sunshine instead.

We had a very enjoyable walk at a site I hadn't visited before. A few birds on the lake, including this nesting pair of Great Crested Grebes (Podiceps cristatus):

Then we left the lakeside and wandered through some rough woodland and plantation, where we found several species of fungi, including Scarlet Elf Cups, which haven't been reported from there before. Quite a good colony - we counted nearly sixty fruiting bodies. There were alos a couple of fungi that will have to go under the microscope before they can be named.

Henry

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 17 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Saturday night we had a return to bitterly cold weather so I went on a rescue mission with the result that this was what my garden looked like on Sunday morning (and still does.)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 17 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Great crested grebes are amazing with their underwater dives. We used to see them when we were on the canals, and they stayed down for ages, then always popped up where you didn't expect them. I will have another look at that fungus I saw the other day and see if I can identify it. We have had elf caps around there before, but it would be rather exiting if it was the rare one too.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 17 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I had another look and it was definitely a scarlet elf cap, but on its own. The anemone has been joined by one friend, so it hasn't been too warm up there over the last couple of days.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 17 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Not from me, and from a state quite a bit further west, but still, thought it might interest the participants of this thread to see what is happening in our woods around these times (though probably not so much right now as we're headed for cold temperatures again - supposed to hit -16 C tonight)

http://www.earthtouchnews.com/in-the-field/backyard-wildlife/this-black-bear-trying-to-wake-up-is-all-of-us-on-a-monday-morning

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 17 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

that bear needs a coffee pot for it's birthday

buzzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 17 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

[quote="dpack:1474431"]that bear needs a coffee pot for it's birthday[/quote

]

Henry

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 17 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

This week we went to a Country Park. I'm not sure we expected to see anything in particular - as I recall the venue was chosen because of its good paths and likely freedom from mud.

We saw lots of white blossom - it's too early for Blackthorn and anyway the ones I looked at lacked spines, so they were probably Cherry Plum or some variety of Wild Plum. There were patches of white Violets, a few Celandines, and some daisies.

We also found a few Common Toads in one of the ditches.

But the highlight of the morning were these little beauties:

Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata). When we first saw them they were sitting quietly under the trees on a small island. Then they swam across to hide in some reeds, where it was just about impossible to get a good photograph. Then they suddenly decided to swim out into open water anf gave us the chance of some good shots. Introduced from China and spreading, I gather. Well worth the trip!

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 17 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

a very crispy duck photo

nice to know you have a few toads about, venerable creatures and very friendly if hand raised or gently "tamed" with the odd gift .

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 17 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dpack wrote:
a very crispy duck photo

nice to know you have a few toads about, venerable creatures and very friendly if hand raised or gently "tamed" with the odd gift .

A colleague found just how friendly they can be when he put his hand into the pond at work, and it was immediately grasped by an amorous male toad!

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 17 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nice picture of the duck. The white flowers might be Mirabelle plums; we have a lot of them round our way, some planted along the dual carriageway edge. They have been in flower for some time, but the blackthorn isn't out yet.

Lovely to see the white violets. We have a few primroses in flower in the woods, but I haven't seen any violets yet, although the leaves have come on well. The celandines are shining brightly when the sun in out too.

buzzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 17 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I didn't go for a walk this Monday, but here is another picture from last week - the Prunus blossom that we saw a great deal of.

Back to walking next week, assuming the weather is friendly.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 17 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That is beautiful Henry. Thanks for posting. The mirabelles up our road are going over now, but the blackthorn is coming into flower, so a second wave of lovely blossom. I passed a hedge down nearer the coast yesterday that was quite green. It is a mixture of elder and hawthorn, and both of them are early in leaf.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive