Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 17 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't get them, but I have heard of them. Do they hibernate?

Got the bed prepared for the potatoes and sowed the cabbage seeds in trays. They are in the greenhouse, so hope they germinate.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 17 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was up in the coppice again yesterday sorting rods and tying up pea and bean sticks. It was a lovely spring day; sun was shining, it was warm enough to work in short sleeves, bluebells are starting to flower, birds were singing and saw 2 orange tip butterflies.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 17 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose, woodchucks aka groundhogs aka whistle pigs do have a relatively brief period of hibernation from sometime in November into late February.

My day tripping WWOOFer came yesterday. A delightful young woman. Since it has been raining and was intermittently raining things were soggy outside. I parked my car outside and we set up saw horses and a work space in the garage bay, then started replacing the bubble wrap insulation in my greenhouse. I truly don't remember how long the old stuff was up but some was disintegrating as we took it down. Washed the glass, measured, cut, and put new bubble wrap up for about half of it. She's coming back today so we'll do as much more as I have new bubble wrap for, close to all of it I think.

And after we finished with that (lunch in the middle) we made fresh acid set cheese - something she was very interested in. I sent her home with some.

When she comes again in late April we'll - fingers crossed - work outside. And bake bread, something else that interests her.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 17 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cassandra, good to talk to you, and hear the news. I hope all is well with you. How awful to be on social media, and getting stick personally; proper debate is the essential thing not personalities of those taking part-it is the main reason I don't do the fb and so on as I don't really understand how it works, I tried with the 'we were river cottage', but couldn't cope with that either. This is enough for me, and seems to work ok as far as I am concerned.
I am in favour of keeping the status as an 'Historic High Street' if that is the way forward for the good of the town and it's future. Putting a swimming pool in the middle of that seems a bit silly. I guess that some folks want to see the town enter the 21st century with gusto, so a swimming pool in the town's main street is how they see it, and will want further progress. Others want to preserve the town as a sample of how things were 2 or 3 centuries ago. I do know that rational argument is the only way and to give in gracefully if the majority is against your wishes.
I will be back here on Thursday to hear the results!

We don't have a lot of birch around us as far as I know, MR, not sure if I would be able to recognise it now, been a few years since my scouting days at school-55 to be precise.

The only trouble with most area based plastic is that it gets upset in sunlight, Jam Lady, but good to have help with the chore of replacement. I find now that I like food, but hate its cooking and worse, its preparation.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 17 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social media can be a little unruly at times. The 'stick' was not being waved at me however, so all is well. And the one person who was being unpleasant has simply been blocked so I don't have to listen to her any more. My FB page is fairly tightly locked up in terms of non-friends being able to see content, so it's all good.

The meeting was a complete farce with it made very clear by the end that we could like it or lump it. But I did get some telling questions in, though with most unsatisfactory responses. Not to worry. I will live to fight another day and hopefully my interventions this time will stand me in good stead in future battles as I remain on good terms with most involved (though one person who just does not know when to give up is testing my patience at present).

Not much happening here as we are having bad weather (overflow from the cyclone up north combined with the onset of autumn) and getting around is something to be avoided if possible. So today I will be staying at home and getting on with stuff like emptying out kitchen cupboards. Though I may pop into town for some lunch and a top up of gossip.

Looks like they copped a bit of a battering up in Queensland, but seems no lives lost so far and the worst is over. Now if they can just keep out of flooded rivers all should be well.

Took my brown fleece back and obtained a refund as it was tender in a rather awkward spot that made spinning it impossible. It will be good for someone who is into felting, but not much use to me. The refund was reasonably easily achieved (new technology which made it hard for her to get it to recalculate given the 10% discount on a multi-item purchase). Also picked up some more cupboard items for the kitchen. A long drive for not much, but it was worth it.

I will be heading back down to Hobart on Friday as a friend is opening an art exhibition and it will be good to support her. She has aspergers so gets in a bit of a tizz in this sort of situation. It will be fun - I like her work (though I would not have it in my home) as it is quite confronting and creative.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 17 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find 'we were river cottage' on FB but couldn't as I would like to see who is there and what is being discussed at least. I haven't fully got the hang of FB, but luckily son has, so deals with our business use of it.

We have two types of birch in the wood Gregotyn; silver and downy. The silver is quite distinctive and I am sure you would recognise it as it has white to silvery bark. The downy birch has similar bark, but orange brown rather than white.

I am glad that although the outcome of the meeting was bad, all remain on reasonable terms Cassandra. I hope a reasonable compromise can be found before anything irreversible is done. The middle of the village where the woods are was converted from a beautiful thatched cottage place to 'modern' in the 1960s, so we are now lumbered with some unattractive shops along the main street. The pub was also pulled down and was a prefab, but was converted again a few years ago to something much more in keeping with the original village houses thank goodness.

Husband and son did the last run for birch yesterday as we are not allowed on the site after 1st April as apparently the birds start to nest then. Not sure they can read a calendar, but that is the official day. Dogs and walkers are allowed anywhere, which seems rather more of a risk to ground nesting birds than us carefully removing logs and driving along tracks, but those are the rules, so we have to stick to them.

I finished sorting out the bean sticks yesterday and put points on them, but otherwise not a lot of progress.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 17 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep we never seem to learn the lesson MR - our village is blighted with the odd cottage encumbered by a breezeblock porch and cement render, or a very unimaginative 'modern' extension out the back clad in sawn crazy paving style sandstone - you have to wonder what goes through people's minds. I am all for the 'if you can't afford to do it properly, at least do it in a traditional manner'. Which is why my extension is not the ghastly double gabled (but lower than present gables) extension council tried to talk me into. As I pointed out to them, I was replacing like with like and what was good enough for the original builder was good enough for me - there are enough modern features (concrete slab, window form etc) to distinguish it as a replacement, but it is not an 'in your face' obscenity. Oh well.

Had some horrible people in the History Room today - clearly well-heeled if dressed down, boasting of connections to various larger properties, wanting to do family research and view the museum. Our fees are $3.00 per adult, $1.00 per child, and $5.00 for a family. They claimed to be a family which I took to be a joke (a bad one but an oft-repeated one) but they were dead set serious and argued their point. I held my ground and they eventually paid up, but really! Then, having found 22 pages for me to photocopy for them they headed off to the museum while i did this, collected their photocopies and went to leave without paying. They then went through a similarly ghastly charade of 'oh, didn't you pay, no, etc', waved a $100 bill at me hoping I would not be able to change it for them and finally parted with the $22.00 they owed me. Easy to see how they hold onto their money - scum!

Apart from that had a happy day as two of my books arrived so I read them from cover to cover (well, one of them, the other I have already read but wanted for reference purposes).

I think the RC group went 'secret' which means it will not be accessible or searchable so you will need to PM someone who is on it. Lorraine who is the artist whose posts I 'like' is a member.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 17 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the' we were river cottage', but can't remember anything of how to get on there now. I couldn't understand how it worked so I gave up. Yes, Cassandra, Lorraine is an artist. You would not know that I sent her some copper wire a few years back now, as she was doing "stuff" using it. She is very talented, some of her sculptures are spectacular. To get on RC, it is possible that I have written it down somewhere so IF I can find it I will give you the gen, and you can have a nose. A few said to persevere, but I really couldn't be bothered in the end as it was past my brain power. I am happy here, if it is ok with you girls, and I am not looking to expand. RC sort of became an exclusive club. The one I miss there was Dave Cook who I was scheduled to meet in Craven Arms during the summer, but I packed in before it was settled.
Well done you in the History room, Cassandra, with the 'Idle Rich'-too lazy to reach into their pockets. And sorry about the swimming pool-historic town with modern centre piece

I knew about silver birch now you mention it, MR, but downy I don't recall. I didn't realise that silver birch had any qualities apart from looking good!
My friend who lives in south Shropshire takes his dog, a lovely springer, through the woods on the Brown Clee hill every day regardless of time of year and she is a true gun dog in her attitude, working in scoots sideways and forwards. It is a miracle that there are any birds ever in the wood, but she never attacks the birds she encounters. I suppose she is waiting for her master to shoot them after she has done her bit towards the job by putting them up in the first place, and I suspect she thinks he is a bad shot!

Our boss has been away for nearly 3 weeks lambing at home and returns on Wednesday next week. So for that time we have had a new boss imposed on the no2 and me. Luckily he leaves us alone to get on with it, and intervenes when we ask. So I am getting in more hours than I want as 'The Move' is fairly close, and if the lad would just put the doors on the shed I would get moved. This will involve holiday I expect, I am a hoarder so lots of "stuff" and a fair few loads on my trailer. Annoyingly I am selling a lot more kindling right now, so having to chop and net as well as pack stuff up.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 17 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a nice lot of people by the sounds of it Cassandra. Pity they got away with anything. Of course if any of their 'contacts' can identify them, you may be able to send the bill on behalf of the History Room.

DMCP sent me a card at Christmas mentioning the 'we were River Cottage' group, but seemed to assume that I would be able to get onto it, which I haven't.

Gregotyn, I don't know if you have downy birch near you, and anyway it looks quite like silver birch but with a browner stem. There are other differences, but that is the main one. Hope you get your shed finished very soon so you can deal with everything.

We went to a forestry meeting yesterday going round the woods son used to work in when a student. They had also invited students from the college he attended, but none of the lecturers he knew. Sadly one had just died, and the other had an accident recently so wasn't able to come. It was interesting to see what they were doing, and the afternoon was mainly about coppice. As they are a county council site they had problems with using deer fencing, as the public don't like being shut out of areas, even if they never walk in them, so the coppice wasn't regenerating very well. Rather sad, as they could make so much of that wood. An interesting day anyway, and the rain stayed off until after we had finished.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 17 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had an interesting day at the forestry meeting. Always good to be looking over the fence. It seems silly to me that the public have to know everything about deer fencing for them to know why it is put there. It should be obvious-deer wreck trees. Surely the powers that be should put appropriate notices around the place? Then monitor the site with hidden cameras, with non reflective lens fitted to them. Basically if the fencing isn't there the trees get done. Sensible high gates could be provided with auto returns?

There is a name from the past, DMCP, social services if recall, lived in Eire? I also remember the Lancashire lass who lived in Eire, who was of a cult that I don't remember either geared to the moon?, bright red hair and a good gardener; we exchanged various forms of pest control. In so many ways a shame to loose that gang, but I find here more friendly, but then I haven't ventured too far. There doesn't seem to be a don around! MR, not that it is important, I can't remember your name on RC., anymore than I can remember mine or Cassandra's-Oh Dear!

I will go on a downy birch hunt, MR, armed with the info. you have given to me and have a look around. I know the silver, and now the difference between the 2 types, thankyou.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous thunderstorm last night, rain continuing today. About 3 1/2 cm by mid-afternoon. Soggy, as you can imagine. Delaware River is high, and the local creek is running like chocolate milk. Rain is supposed to continue for the next few days. The green hellebores I moved yesterday have been very well watered in.

This afternoon I went over to a friend's house. She's a potter and has a studio set up in her basement. I made some beads and another friend was making sets of buttons. Next will be firing, then glazing and re-firing. Fun afternoon as the three of us sat and chatted and messed about with clay..

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about deer fencing Gregotyn. Trouble is, if you put gates in, someone will always wedge them open, so best to exclude the public altogether. As the coppice is rather thin, they ought also to be doing layering, so keep the public out otherwise someone will trip over a layer. The downy birch also has downy leaves and is inclined to have more epicormic growth, so you will be able to feel the leaves low down. Silver tends not to do that and has smoother, rather coarser leaves.

Your rain sounds pretty horrible Jam Lady. Hope things settle before you get floods. As you say, the plus side is the plants getting watered in.

I went looking for my onion sets yesterday as they weren't showing any signs of life, and found one starting to shoot, so with any luck most of them will be growing all right.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find the administrators here got rid of the person you named many years ago for similar reasons to the ones that caused me grief Gregotyn. You were Grego, MR was - oh dear, I forget!

Many former RCers are here under different guises - I think DMCP is one of them - lovely woman - I wear a beanie she sent me many years ago.

I went to Hobart yesterday to an art gallery opening. A friend of mine was exhibiting her work. Not to everyone's taste, she uses 'found' objects and makes them into things that look lovely until you get close when their dark side is revealed. I bought one of her 'Dystopian Dream Catchers' which will look wonderful over the fireplace once the room is done.

Today was spinning group with lots to show and tell as it has been a while since we got together (last month was Bothwell). Lots of chat, very little spinning done, but a good day in all

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is a lot of rain in a relatively short period of time, with that amount the green helibores you planted may well find a new home though not necessarily voluntarily.
Pottery is fun, though the results don't always come up to expectations I am told. Not for me, as my hands don't perform as well as they might. I had a wonderful night in a B+B in Shifnal with some friends from Aus. The owner was also a potter and we watched him in the studio where apart from his interest in potting animals, he also made the emblem for a brewery in the form of a toby jug. One was to be given to every person who went on an organised trip round the brewery. As you can imagine the order was enormous over the period of a year. The brewery wanted the basic jug to be the same, but, they had to be made individually to avoid that 'mine's the same as yours look'-what a winner!

It is the cameras that need to be in place MR. at the entrance to the forests/woods and blank ones with lights in obvious seen places and working models in the not so obvious, across the road etc. to the car park, but I suppose it is too much work and not enough money available even to monitor the situation. In the perfect world of monitoring, a small camera focused on cars coming in and those who leave gates open is a small price to pay in relation to the fines that could be imposed If the first fine was well published and the fine high it, could easily deter many other transgressors. Of course if you patrolled the woods with drones then that could keep the deer out too! Oh dear technology for a few idiots who can't close a gate!

It has just stopped raining after a gently falling on and off most of the night, nothing in comparison to you JL., but still overcast. My plans are to go home via a friend's farm for a chat, and hope they have got over the cold they say I gave them, and then do something in the packing up line; but as an after thought my neighbour wants me to make a tepee affair for the play group, so I am on a wood hunt at home for various lengths and sizes of timber, the floor will be a pallet but the 4 uprights will be 2 inches square and around 6 feet high-that's the challenge, I don't acquire much timber in the 6ft lengths. Actually most of the wood I get is from the 'cheap' end of the quality spectre, with lots of big knots from south facing fast grown softwood. Not really the thing for children's toys, I will have to bite the bullet and buy some quality.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was Alchemist Cassandra. Your art gallery sounds interesting, but not sure it would be the sort of thing I would want. I am rather conservative about the little art we have. We still have a couple of pictures to put up that we bought several years ago. As long as you had a good time at your spinning group, it doesn't really matter how much work got done. We tend to find that a bit at coppice group meetings; the 'networking' i.e. chatting, is as important as the rest of it.

That order for jugs sounds amazing Gregotyn, and must have cost the brewery a fair bit. Really understanding the difference between mass produced and hand made. We do have cameras in our yard. It is worrying if we see someone around, but at least they can be identified later if anything goes missing, and if they are that sort, the police often know them anyway.

We had our first show of the year yesterday. We managed to find everything, and had just about enough stock. Son did some more leatherwork and had made some hair 'barrettes', or slides held with a stick. He has done some purple emperor and red admiral butterflies. Must say I am rather tempted to have one of the purple emperor ones for myself. We were lucky with the weather with only one very light shower which only meant moving one stand back slightly to avoid the rain. A lot of interest including son being pictured on the pole lathe by a couple of news photographers, and moderate sales. Nice to see some old friends among the other stall holders, and sample some local cider, which is pretty good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 257 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive