Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
pigs and chocolate

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 17 8:26 am    Post subject: pigs and chocolate Reply with quote

I have some Easter chocs that i don't like. Are pigs sensitive to chocolate like dogs?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 17 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocoloate is poisonous to everyone. I can't imagine an Easter egg or two would hurt a pig, as they are so large, but personally I wouldn't feed it to them.

I believe the lethal human dose is 22kg, but I only heard that on QI, so I'm not sure it's reliable!

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 17 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

defra would not approve, all human food chain stuff is banned for piggies unless it has been officially pressure cooked with its own paperwork or has been diverted direct from a field.

as to toxicity see above

SteveP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 17 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
defra would not approve, all human food chain stuff is banned for piggies unless it has been officially pressure cooked with its own paperwork or has been diverted direct from a field.

as to toxicity see above

It has not entered a kitchen or contain meat products which is the Defra test. legality aside is it toxic to pigs like it is for dogs?

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 17 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveP wrote:
dpack wrote:

as to toxicity see above

It has not entered a kitchen or contain meat products which is the Defra test. legality aside is it toxic to pigs like it is for dogs?

It's a wee bit more complicated than that.

Quote:
It is illegal to feed any pig any catering waste (including used cooking oil) from restaurants, kitchens (both household and central), and other catering facilities even if those establishments cater solely for vegetarians.

It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs,but this must only be done from those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have (HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and these procedures have been agreed with the local authority.

So, as long as the Easter Egg factory has the HACCP signed off, you're good to go. Healthwise, probably best avoided.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2008.725/pdf Page32.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 17 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Google has this to say about pot bellied pigs: "Salt and chocolate are two foods you never want to feed to your pig. Pigs can acquire salt poisoning from having too much salt in their diets. In some cases pigs are highly allergic to chocolate."

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 17 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not feed chocolate to pigs. I would read the DEFRA guidelines to your pigs and tell them they should not eat all the vegetable scraps off the compost heap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive