Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 17 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are lovely Jam Lady. They don't bloom at Christmas here, but are usually given as a put with the bulb and compost in and then start to grow indoors from soon after I think. I have never had one, so don't really know. As I said, we don't grow them outside here, as they are regarded as house plants. Probably too wet or cool summer or something.

Had a quiet day yesterday after getting out to open the gate to the wood for a running race that was going through. Only had to be there for about half an hour, but it made it easier than them all using the kissing gate.

I did a bit of pottering in the garden, some watering, which turns out to have been unnecessary as it is raining today, and some more to my knitting. I was trying to work out a change in the pattern from a raglan to a set in sleeve, using another pattern and all in a Shetland lace design. Interesting. Think I have got it about right with any luck. It is very flexible anyway, so some imperfections should sort themselves out. I also need a non-patterned edge to ensure I have something to sew into, so need to make sure I get the right number of increases and decreases in each end pattern. Fun.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 17 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap Jam Lady, I too am moving lots of bits of wood and timber that might come in, interesting grain is one of them. In some ways I have been lucky-the dreaded wood worm has struck-so it has had to go but some of the better pieces have almost had as many moves as I have! I used to take home 3"x2" timber 6ft1" long for the length of time a job was running-around 2 years- at 9 pieces a night and oh dear I still have them 9 years on, however i have to build another shed as the building I have had put up is too small, at least I have enough for a complete frame for a shed about 12 ft. square.

I hope the runners appreciated your gesture of opening the gate for them MR, and that they didn't leave any aftermath!

It is possible that the NZ Radiata pine is related as it sounds like the type of growth that the Portugese M.T. follows. I suspect that it is pretty fast too. We used it when the average diameter under bark would be around 6-7 inches, to give a reasonable yield from the tree as well as cover for the fence panel-using the least number of nails we could! Often there would be slats of 3", but that is life!

Today I have been able to log in to here, but can't do e mails as the council are being a bit over protective, but I suppose I can can see their point. It affected the library I in so much as they won't let emails in or out till they are sure that they are protected. This is a nuisance because I am going to the Smallholder Show at the weekend and want to know where to collect my ticket from, and parking slot on the camping area, hoping to sleep in my friend's trailer, they wash it after the pigs have gone out! I said it wouldn't make any difference, but they said they would wash it after me just the same! I will be back on into the library Thursday and hope all is clear by then; I go on Friday to help set up and perform on Saturday and Sunday and then help take it all down! And a day off on Monday to recover!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 17 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you manage to get e-mails all right soon Gregotyn. I can see their point, but they should be all right by now I would have thought as the infection is finished. Someone found the way to stop it spreading further thank goodness. Also hope you have a good time at the Smallholder show if we don't hear from you before.

We managed to empty the kiln and do 20 bags yesterday, so at least we have a bit sorted. We have an order for 10 bags, so they will hopefully go off this week. We also spent some time moving cut and split firewood in the store, as we had a couple of loads dumped that needed to go on the main heap. Good exercise if nothing else.

Weather here has gone from very dry to intermittently rainy. Everything damp in the woods now. Should be good for the garden and bring on the cabbages and leeks I planted out if the slugs and snails don't come out too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 17 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No e-mails again today. Perhaps an over enthusiastic reaction to the crisis. I think they are worried for other things to be hacked outside of the health service. I would have thought that those who did the hacking could use, what are considerable skills, to make money legitimately. My computer skills are nil.
I have just been informed that we may be able to use the email service this afternoon, when they are hoping to be in the clear.

It is where I am going to sleep at the show that is the current issue. Rather than pitch a tent I was hoping to sleep in a friend's stock lorry which makes life easier-I have 2 tents one is to sleep only the other is for 6 people to live in and takes a lot of time to put up and take down. The small tent only allows me to lie down so getting changed in the morning and evening is hard work-an age thing- and cooking is a pain in that if it is raining. Wish I had sorted the caravan now! Such is life. I think I will just turn up anyway, something will happen.

We are in the same weather pattern as you MR., alternate sun and rain, but fairly warm. I hope the charcoal trade keeps running even if you are having some rain. I am assuming that when you say you are moving logs into the store, that they are going undercover from where they have been seasoning. I may be wrong but when I have done logging in the past I have cut the tree into lengths left them to dry a bit outside-3 or 4 months, then cut them into log lengths, split them and stack inside along the wall of an old cowshed This doesn't apply to ash as it burns anytime, but I still like to rest it a bit. Our ash trees are not showing any signs of life yet, the oaks have been coming into leaf for some time.
This intermittent rain has brought on the grass and several farmers have taken first cut silage, and I am seeing quite a few fields now well and truly shut up for the one cut silage makers.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 17 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather has decided it is already time for summer. Mid-morning (10:30 a.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time) and it is already 30 degrees Celsius, with a predicted high of 33 C. In Fahrenheit terms that will be about 20 degrees warmer than normal.

Mistress Rose, local annual precipitation where I am is twice the annual precipitation of London, England. It is 46 inches inches / year over here, but only 23.5 inches / year in London, England.

The big difference, I believe, is that you get frequent dribbs and drabs of rain, plus lots of overcast. We can get heavy downpours, intense sunshine, and hotter summer weather than do you.

The hippeastrum are in pots, set outdoors with midday shade in summer.

Sister's surgery went well. She was sent home yesterday, could shower today, and I just got some pictures of her out shopping for produce in an outdoor display.

Now my break is about over - came in for something to drink and sit for a few minutes. Finish up with some repotting, tidy things away, then shower so I am again fit for human company - going on a garden visit this afternoon. Perhaps I'll take an umbrella to use as a parasol / sunshade . . .

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 17 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you find somewhere to sleep all right for the show Gregotyn. There must be some secluded animal stall under cover if all else fails. You might just get an e-mail in time if they will be available later.

We now have 40 bags ordered and probably more over the next week or two, so some more bagging to do from this firing and another firing next week.

I asked the farmer about the grass, as it is growing well again after the last silage cut and he said they would be taking a hay crop off it when it is ready. Another few weeks I should think, then by the looks of the way it is growing this year they may even get another crop off.

You do have a far more extreme climate than us Jam Lady. So far, although we have had the odd day where it has been 'shirtsleeves' weather, it hasn't been that warm. Better than last year, which was a very cold spring, but not too warm. Hope you have a good garden visit, and taking a sunshade seems an excellent idea. Sounds as if you get about as much rain as Gregotyn, but it doesn't get as warm in Wales. Glad to hear your sister is all right, and hope she doesn't need any more treatment.

Ended up having an odds and ends day yesterday, with a lot of cooking. Took some charcoal over to a new outlet, then came home, made some rhubarb fool, baked biscuits, and made a stew with the chicken carcase from the roast. Managed to find out where I was in my knitting, which was actually 4 rows on from where I thought I was, so back on track with that now too.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 17 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garden was, as always, lovely. The rhododendrons were superb. Mistress Rose, here's an image for you.

They are, however, Spanish bluebells.

Up at the crackers of dawn this morning and up on the roof to put the greenhouse shade cloth - one large piece - over the 4 side-by-side great room skylights. Virtuous woman that I am I even cleaned the skylights first. Also the outside of other windows only accessible from the roof. All this before my morning coffee too, as it had to be done before the sun was high enough to clear the trees and shine on that portion of the roof. It was 21 degrees Celsius when we got up there, 24 degrees Celsius when we came back in. Another hot day, I'm afraid.

Yesterday we put up the curtains for the bedroom skylights. They can be reached from in the room with a large ladder. Which Mr Poe cat likes to rapidly climb up but is slower coming down. Years ago I made muslin panels for each of the three skylights, that each have pockets on the two longer sides that hold spring tension curtain rods. Other than the ladder and threading the rods through the pockets they're easy to do. Look good and reduce solar heating.

More re-potting etc in the garden today. There's so much to do, in fact, that I've decided not to go on the garden club outing to a nursery next week. Their display gardens are said to be quite nice but my resistance to purchasing new plants is poor. And I have enough waiting to be dealt with as it is.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 17 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit of garden looks lovely Jam Lady. It would look even better with English bluebells, but I suppose you can't get them. Ours have been lovely this year. They kept their slightly purpley royal blue for ages, but now are over. It means the woods are less busy, but I love the sight of them.

We are doing a course today, so have to meet up with the 2 people on it and take them to the woods. I have the course notes sorted, so just have to get us all there and sorted out. Son is involved as well, and husband is firing the little kiln. The last firing didn't work as the seal had gone, so we ended up with mainly brown ends, so need to refire today.

Weather here is looking good; sunshine and should be fairly warm later, although I think it is a bit chilly now.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 17 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show is not till the end of the month - meantime i have been knitting and spinning like a demon as I wanted to know what I had to enter before lodging my entries. It is two photographs, a skein each of Raw fleece, dyed tops, and alpaca, as well as two beanies, and some art yarn - I have entered two pieces and done three, so once they are all done I will have a choice of which to enter. Very busy as a result That a dodging the various bits of weather being thrown at us of late (lovely day today, freezing tomorrow), taking delivery of a new back awning and chasing the concreters to make the pads, entertaining the plumber, designing our 'shop front' entry at the History Room (we have a major art event in Hobart each year called Dark Mofo which is spreading its tentacles into the hinterlands this year, and our window display has to be red and illuminated), and working and doing various other things about the place .... well you get the picture.

This is the latest beanie and an entry into the Show - I am not blocking it this way any more - I discovered the best way to do them is on a dinner plate of the right diameter so that is what is happening now.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 17 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you have been busy Cassandra. That hat is lovely. I think we would call that a tam o' shanter. Your spinning has come on really well if that is hand spun.

We ran a course on Basic Woodland Management on Saturday for two people. One wanted to just understand a bit more about woodland, and the other is interested in taking up coppicing or similar. He is currently working in forestry as a sub contractor, but wants to take his work further. They both got what they wanted out of the day, which was the main thing.

Yesterday I spent in the garden mainly planting things out. I got the mangetout peas, courgettes, squashes and sweetcorn out, then erected the bean sticks and got the French and runner beans planted out. It all took a lot of work as everything then had to be watered in, and the bean sticks, being hazel, weren't over co-operative. After I had finished I trimmed up the ends on my last basket and did a bit of scraping on a couple of spoons I have made that have dried now, then cooked a roast dinner. Husband decided to go to the woods and do a bit more painting and have a quiet time, so a busy and productive day for both of us.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 17 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a productive day in the woods yesterday. Did 20 more bags of charcoal, emptied the small kiln, found some bean sticks and plant stakes and got half load of firewood on the truck for delivery this morning.

The weather has decided to be warm now, so rather than 14 C last week we now have nearer 24 C. Bit of a shock to the system and makes it more pleasant in the breeze than last week when we tried to keep out of the wind.

Woke up this morning to the news of an explosion in Manchester, thought to be a bomb. Awful.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 17 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no emails, so not too happy. I got to the show ground very early, around 7 am the gates are open but no guards! So I got access and drove to the pigs section, parked and started to work, straw in pens and so on. Then went to the office to see if they could give me a parking ticket to get to the place I was to be sleeping, passing the guards on the gate-all potential Hitlers if you haven't got the bar coded sticker! The girl in the office very kindly did the ticket for me, and off we go. The box got parked and I set bed out and bits then went and set the stalls out with another lad. He and I get along very well, strangely. He is a communist and I am the opposite, he goes to Cuba for his holidays, I stay at home. We do however have the gift of the gab when it comes to selling "stuff". We do draw the line with a child's lucky dip at £1 and the youngster gets a cheap credit card holder, so they get another go!
Not as good this year as a lot less people there for some reason, weather good and all in place for a good day. There were some very good pigs there so I enjoyed it overall. And met some new people who live about half an hour away from me who have asked me to go and see them sometime, so I will strike when the time is right and hope they are in! be after I have moved anyway, which is still in progress. The new shed should have been twice the size, but will have to do for now.

I have to apologise to you MR, having not posted the parcel as promised; it is in the motor waiting my attention, I have just not got round to it! Silage is now over for the early pit filling men; it sort of wasn't then suddenly it was all go and over. My friend doesn't make early silage, he goes for bulk to fill bellies and feeds the nutrition aspect of feeding cattle with corn and minerals. I would prefer the early cut quality and then a later cut of either hay or second cut silage, but what do I know I am not doing the job. I am seeing that the season for charcoal is in full swing in the south. It surprises me that you don't do more in the early spring to be ready for the onslaught which happens around now in the south on an annual basis. I assume you could do some in the winter too-just get the product cold enough to bag up in daylight-or am I not understanding enough about the job, which is the most likely.

I think we have hit summer here as it only rained once over the week-end, during the night and I had covered my stock box accommodation with a large sheet-tarpaulin-water proof cover. So not so bad with the water situation, although rainfall here is high, I can't find our annual figures. We do, from near where I live, supply Liverpool with a lot of water, pumped from Lake Vyrnwy. This was dammed in Victorian times or thereabouts, And it occasionally runs out. It is so strange to see the village as it was laid out, but in ruins. There are people who know whose house was whose as they had family living there; you can even see the bridge which crosses the original stream-still running-and walk across that same bridge.
I am glad your sister's surgery went ok, Jam Lady, let's hope for quick return to normality for her. Shopping is therapeutic so she will be better soon!

Do you run courses on how to cut lower limbs off trees without killing oneself. MR? I have several which need attention badly and would warm me over the winter well!

Cassandra the beanie is really good. I can see you have been busy I have to go now as the children are coming into the library and making a noise, so I can't concentrate. Back in on Thursday!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 17 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a good time at the show Gregotyn. I think people are being wary about spending money at the moment as things are going up in price-imports are more expensive because of the devaluation of the pound and this also reflects in cost of things manufactured in the UK as most of the raw materials have to be imported. Look forward to receiving the parcel.

I asked at the farm last week as the grass seems to be well on its way to a second cutting, and he said they would take hay off this time. Whether there will be enough for a third cutting for something I don't know, but it is doing well for the cows as it is.

We can't really make too much charcoal over winter as it gets damp. Charcoal absorbs anything; that is why it is used in gas masks, and is very good at absorbing water. If we had some sealed plastic containers it might work, but we have limited storage space as we don't want to cover the woods in store rooms. We are also working quite hard at firewood most years until the charcoal season starts. At present we are just about keeping up. Husband and son are going to prepare the next load for the big kiln today, so tomorrow I will either be helping with loading or looking after it while it fires.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 17 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only sell nick-nacks on the pig stand, and enrol those who wish to join the ranks of the Wales and Border counties Pig breeders association. Our aim is to keep our heads above water financially, but to promote pig keeping and help newcomers. I have one or two that I visited locally to me when they were starting to keep their first weaners for fattening. With a new enterprise, there is nothing like having someone tell you that all is well. My pig experience was many years ago, but assurance is always good to have.
Thank you for giving me the gen on charcoal I should have remembered that it is a good absorbent of water. Keeps you out of mischief any way!

Still no emails, I think they are being too cautious now, or having a lot of overpaid computer technicians who don't know what to do, or more correctly, don't know what they are doing. I just think that if the NHS can be got on the move in a few days we are at least a week into the problem. I however have no claim to any computing working knowledge, just how to get on here and to send emails, so perhaps I shouldn't shout too loudly.

Keep reminding me, regarding the parcel, if you would as my mind is a bit slow. It should stick in my face as it is in the truck, but I am not always thinking straight!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 17 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having someone who has experience of pigs to have a look is always useful Gregotyn, even if your experience was some time ago. We have the same with beekeeping in our Association. We can get a mentor to work with new beekeepers, and they are also offered a course on beekeeping. I personally think the latter is of less use as the bees never do what they are supposed to.

We filled the big charcoal kiln again yesterday, and while husband and son were cutting the wood, I roughed out a couple of spoons and a scoop. On the way home I picked a few field maple leaves as I want to put one on the scoop as a handle. Managed to find one just the right size, so will have to get on with that before the wood dries. We are hoping to fire the kiln tomorrow, so will try to finish all of them and do some on the next basket while firing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 265 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive