Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 17 6:08 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

It does depend on the size of the dumpy sack Gregotyn. 80 for a full cu m isn't bad, but a cu yd, or 1 ton sand dumpy sack is about 50-60.

Down here work has already started on silage and hay making, so the maintenance should have been done by now. I suppose soon after the hay is in the other crops will be coming along, although they aren't anything like fully grown at the moment.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 17 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

They Dyson was bagless - the industrial strength machine has a bag - it is my standby and usually lives in the shed as I have lost the heads for it (so only use it for getting under stuff and doing corners indoors). The heads from the new machine fit it though, so as I waited for the air filter to dry after I washed it, I used the IS one. It's all good. I now have 3 vacs - those two and a cordless one that will not be deployed till the vinyl goes down. It has a detachable hand-held bit that has been useful for things further up the wall.

I have been watching the fire in London in horror for the last few days - it is consuming the news here too. I pray for their souls.

The day today was a busy one that involved going to Hobart to talk to the shed people about the footings they had installed for my awning (they are 500mm further out from the house than they should be), sorting out a solution, buying paint and other such bits and bobs, visiting a friend and then visiting Steph at her home in the hope of sorting out the History Room's Facebook page. It is still not sorted out and we could not work out how to get the internet to work. Sigh. I tried. I have suggested she gets her son to load it onto her new phone and will try from there. Still, the visit to her home was lovely. They own one of the larger properties in these parts, and the house was built shortly after it was settled. The kitchen is in the new addition (built in 1840!) and has a lovely fuel stove, and she took me on a tour of the house which has about 8 attic rooms (surprisingly, as the downstairs does not seem large enough to accommodated that). It was great to see someone else has rooms full of 'stuff' as well.

Gregotyn, I still smoke! and am nearly up to 50 years of doing so (45 years), so no - that is no excuse at all! Though it is on 'the list' to stop doing it. I will have to get my act together to go see my friend who does hypnosis as all other methods have failed so far. I am too good at 'self-talk' and so need someone to switch that off.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 17 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Cassandra, if had I carried on smoking I would be dead by now, and only gave up when someone in the factory said would I go to the other canteen as they didn't want me to die in the one I was in! But I loved every minute of it, but oh boy I am richer than I would have been if I had carried on with the weed. I smoked for 50 years and am one of the lucky ones, I only needed stents in my arteries, could have been a bypass-no fun at all. I watched the operation and that was very enlightening and interesting-I have been smoke free since 2009. However I enjoyed smoking whilst I was doing it, and understand how it took over me. Money up in smoke!
8 attics in a house is some serious size of property and I would be letting them out.
I don't have a tv but the pictures of the London fire in the paper have been horrendous. Someone, somewhere will be in a spot of bother! and rightly so.

I only have the small, 1 ton dumpy sack, I am hoping that my 7ft by 4ft Ivor Williams trailer will be the same size as the dumpy sack-throw a load in and drive away and today will be the test I am going to drop off my storage box at home then go to collect some logs in the trailer then come back and put it in the bag, results on Tuesday if all goes to plan!

We are getting ready at work for some silage and hay to be cut, but not for a week or so where I am for silage bales. The clamp men will be another month, except my friend who does nothing till August and then usually gets his hay in before his silage as he wants bulk fill belly food rather than quality silage, and feeds corn out of the bag. Our customers at work are all coming in for their silage net and wrap now ready for first cut. And of course we are also selling spare parts and machines, ready for action. I've loaded about 20 packs of black wrap this morning and I only went to collect a large box 8ft x 4ft x3ft deep-for storing logs. Another one to be collected on Monday.

I hope Jam Lady is well.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 17 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That house sounds amazing Cassandra. They are fortunate to be able to keep it up themselves; most here get turned into flats, or hotels if in a suitable place.

I think the repercussions of the London fire will go on for some time, and rightly so. The inquests will no doubt look at the 'why' and if someone was negligent. In the meantime the survivors have to be rehoused and found food and new basic belongings. I understand that there have been so many donations of food and emergency bedding etc. that the charities involved have asked for no more for the moment. Nice to know people are so generous.

You should be able to get your dumpy sack on your trailer Gregotyn. We put two in the back of our Ranger truck. Currently it is all go for charcoal. All the stuff we bagged last week is accounted for, so we will have to do another firing of the little kiln this week at least. Weather is being unreasonably hot at the moment, so we are keeping out of the sun as far as possible.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 17 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Glad everyone is keeping busy. Much the same here.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 17 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Much of the public anger is because TM ordered a Public Enquiry (knowing it will go nowhere) and not an inquest, which would lead to prosecutions. There is a thing on (I think) Change.org demanding an inquest and I have signed it. As a former firefighter myself, watching that blaze, and knowing what the recovery teams are now facing, I remain sick to the stomach.

Yesterday was supposed to be nine degrees and cloudy so I was not much looking forward to my day at the History Room. As it was, I had a lovely day as the sun shone and there was not a visitor in sight! I managed to spin up enough light grey wool to finish off the vest (now only 3 pattern blocks away from the steeks for the arms, though I may add another pattern block if it seems too short) and do a fair bit of knitting to boot! Today is also sunny, but there is a real bite in the air after the subzero overnight temps, and I have decided to have a day of doing nothing in particular.

As a result, I have a pork rump slow roasting in the oven, have done some knitting, some reading, and generally messed around. Oh, and go in some firewood as well. I will be needing it over the next few days. We have had a ridiculously mild winter so far, and apart from the odd frost, you would think it was early Autumn, but the solstice looms and presumably the chillier weather will arrive soon enough.

My friend's house is miles from nowhere, so it is unlikely she will be pressured to have tenants any time soon. Apart from some traffic noise from the Highway it sits in blessed solitude and peace. And many of the attic rooms are more by way of box rooms than habitable space. They have lovely small deepset windows that overlook the pastures and trees - quite idyllic.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 17 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

There will be at least one inquest, probably a series of them, as one has to be held for any unexplained death. It won't cause any prosecution though, as even if an 'unlawful killing' is proved, it is then a job for the Court Prosecution Service (CPS) to make the prosecution. The coroner will almost certainly make some recommendations about various safety factors in tower blocks. Sadly it is not mandatory to follow them. If the public enquiry gets started it will be something as there have been recommendations by coroners for the last 10 years about safety in high rises.

It is hot here. The trouble is we have to have the windows and curtains open to get some air in and as it is getting light very early we are waking up about 4 am. Definitely hide under a tree weather, and our charcoal is selling like hot cakes.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 17 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

It may not be officially summer until Wednesday but today is hazy, hot, and humid. Last night a thunderstorm passed well north of us. Fortunate as it was raining over 4 inches / 10 cm an hour. Another heavy storm coming this afternoon, flood watch already in place. This morning's laundry went from washer right into dryer. I may like the way sheets smell when dried on the clothesline but the operative word is "dried."

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 17 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Lucky you missed the thunderstorm then Jam Lady. Are you very prone to flooding? I thought you were on a hill, but the area round you might be low lying of course. It is hot and hazy here with very little breeze at the moment. The hot weather is forecast to continue for a couple more days, but luckily back to reasonably warm rather than hot by the weekend.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 17 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

We are on a hill, Mistress Rose, but the flood warnings are for the general local area and not specific to us. There are county and local roads prone to flooding. And remember that we live on Creek Road which runs along the Nishisackawick creek that feeds into the Delaware River. It has flooded in the past.

This image is from 2009 - flooding on Creek Road. That is a driveway bridge to a farm. You can see all the timber caught on the upstream side of the bridge and appreciate the force of the flood waters.

And this one from 2011 is of the Delaware River. It is a major watercourse. Shoreline is beyond the trees. There was water in the post office which is two streets over from the river. I didn't go into town to photograph until the water had started going down.

Today is much less windy, clear skies, much lower humidity. In fact, a very nice summer day.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 17 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hot today, but still with a pleasant breeze, so tolerable. I can't cope when it gets very hot, stuff pours out of me, quite embarrassing but if that's the way I'm made, so there we are!

Hope all goes well in your neck of the woods Jam Lady, and you don't get too wet! !0 cms. per hour is a lot of water to accommodate. I guess it would be "deeply white" by now if it was winter!

I can get a dumpy bag on my trailer and probably 2 if I try, MR, but rather a lot of weight on a single axle trailer 7ftx4ft. The volume of the trailer is such that when I fill the trailer level to the sides then I fill a cu. yard and have a bit left over for me! My plan is to sell in a dumpy if I can; but I will be trying by the bag too as there is more cash in that!-5 feed bags for 10 or 2.50 each. It is mainly ash with some oak and very well seasoned that I was thinking of rescuing some from the firewood to make tool handles. I just need to find a source of suitably small feed bags!

About the fire, we should have learned a lesson, are there any other properties out there with the same potential to give us an action replay and if so what is being done today; should have been the day after in reality? Talking does not save lives! Do we know what actually caused the blaze, and the names of any other buildings needed to be looked at/evacuated?

Glad you had a good spin in the history room Cassandra, always seems a real plus when things you don't expect, turn out well. Your friend's house sounds like my idea of heaven, no near neighbours, bliss!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 17 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That looked bad Jam Lady, so hope you don't have any repeats. I have heard of the Delaware river and know it is pretty big.

Gregotyn, some of the ash might be ideal for tool handles. Before we turned to imported hickory we used it a lot as it has a bit of resilience which makes it good for things like axe and hammer handles. In fact cricket bats still have ash handles. Good luck with the firewood.

We have to have another firing of the big kiln next week as every one seems to want charcoal at the moment. Hoping it will cool down a bit as dealing with charcoal when the temperature is about 30 C is not any or us's idea of fun.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 17 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Mistress Rose, keep in mind that these were two isolated incidents from 6 and 8 years ago. So on the whole roads are fine with the typical rainfall. A picture of the road on an ordinary day would not be as attention getting.

Gulf Coast will be a different story with the storm sweeping in today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 17 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That is true Jam Lady it is always the atypical that causes the sensation! Just keep safe is the main thing if it comes again anywhere near you.

I was looking for a long piece of ash for a hole digging spade, but these have all been chopped for the fire before I got there, however I have some of my own to fell soon, which I hope will yield a decent straight grained stale about 4ft. long; I can find and old handle anywhere-I never throw anything away; guess what I always need is 'it' once 'it' has been disposed of to the scrap heap/fire!

I would see the charcoal business as money coming in and not be too bothered about the state I get into. Making money by sending up smoke sounds good to me, but I see what you mean, a lot of work to cut the wood, cart it to the kiln and then to get it loaded and running and then empty the kiln-dirty job-and bag it probably equally dirty all for sale, and then deliver it to the customer, who probably doesn't have a clue what is involved and whinges about the price. Do you cut sizes especially for the kiln or for the charcoal sizes you want to sell? Are the offcuts used of any timber already felled, mixed types, or is charcoal as good regardless of the starting timber. As a process it interests me, but I am sure I wouldn't want to do it myself-"idleitis" has set in a bit lately. I suppose it is the move that is taking most of my waking hours along with the job. I am able to chop kindling at the rate of around 3 nets a day, so in theory at 500 a year I should have enough to get to next Jan/Feb., but I enjoy the wood chopping that I will just keep on going. Once I retire I may go for another shop to chop for!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 17 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Son messaged us yesterday and we now have 52 bags in arrears. Came home from holiday today, and he has collected and cut some wood and collected some more, so with any luck we can get going tomorrow by loading the big kiln and the little one and maybe firing the little one.

We tend to cut most of the wood between 12 and 16" for the big kiln Gregotyn, but we put all sorts of odd bits in; some that won't split, although they often have to go round twice as they don't fully charcoal the first time, and sometimes failures at things like spoons or turned things. Sadly they come out the same shape to remind us of our failure. We have to break up large bits as they would break anyway as they are so brittle, but we leave them a reasonable size, perhaps up to 6" long. The little kiln has to be packed more carefully to get a reasonable yield, so we put a layer of 16" bits, as straight as possible, in the bottom, end up, then another layer on top and finish with odd bits and brown ends. Brown ends are the bits that don't fully charcoal so they tend to stay brown and they are still really wood, so get put in to have another go.

I am sure you know, but if you can get your handle out of a quartered log, cleaved rather than sawn, you will get the strongest result and it shouldn't split.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269
Page 269 of 269
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive