Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 17 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad everyone is keeping busy. Much the same here.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 17 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the public anger is because TM ordered a Public Enquiry (knowing it will go nowhere) and not an inquest, which would lead to prosecutions. There is a thing on (I think) Change.org demanding an inquest and I have signed it. As a former firefighter myself, watching that blaze, and knowing what the recovery teams are now facing, I remain sick to the stomach.

Yesterday was supposed to be nine degrees and cloudy so I was not much looking forward to my day at the History Room. As it was, I had a lovely day as the sun shone and there was not a visitor in sight! I managed to spin up enough light grey wool to finish off the vest (now only 3 pattern blocks away from the steeks for the arms, though I may add another pattern block if it seems too short) and do a fair bit of knitting to boot! Today is also sunny, but there is a real bite in the air after the subzero overnight temps, and I have decided to have a day of doing nothing in particular.

As a result, I have a pork rump slow roasting in the oven, have done some knitting, some reading, and generally messed around. Oh, and go in some firewood as well. I will be needing it over the next few days. We have had a ridiculously mild winter so far, and apart from the odd frost, you would think it was early Autumn, but the solstice looms and presumably the chillier weather will arrive soon enough.

My friend's house is miles from nowhere, so it is unlikely she will be pressured to have tenants any time soon. Apart from some traffic noise from the Highway it sits in blessed solitude and peace. And many of the attic rooms are more by way of box rooms than habitable space. They have lovely small deepset windows that overlook the pastures and trees - quite idyllic.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 17 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be at least one inquest, probably a series of them, as one has to be held for any unexplained death. It won't cause any prosecution though, as even if an 'unlawful killing' is proved, it is then a job for the Court Prosecution Service (CPS) to make the prosecution. The coroner will almost certainly make some recommendations about various safety factors in tower blocks. Sadly it is not mandatory to follow them. If the public enquiry gets started it will be something as there have been recommendations by coroners for the last 10 years about safety in high rises.

It is hot here. The trouble is we have to have the windows and curtains open to get some air in and as it is getting light very early we are waking up about 4 am. Definitely hide under a tree weather, and our charcoal is selling like hot cakes.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 17 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be officially summer until Wednesday but today is hazy, hot, and humid. Last night a thunderstorm passed well north of us. Fortunate as it was raining over 4 inches / 10 cm an hour. Another heavy storm coming this afternoon, flood watch already in place. This morning's laundry went from washer right into dryer. I may like the way sheets smell when dried on the clothesline but the operative word is "dried."

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 17 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you missed the thunderstorm then Jam Lady. Are you very prone to flooding? I thought you were on a hill, but the area round you might be low lying of course. It is hot and hazy here with very little breeze at the moment. The hot weather is forecast to continue for a couple more days, but luckily back to reasonably warm rather than hot by the weekend.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 17 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on a hill, Mistress Rose, but the flood warnings are for the general local area and not specific to us. There are county and local roads prone to flooding. And remember that we live on Creek Road which runs along the Nishisackawick creek that feeds into the Delaware River. It has flooded in the past.

This image is from 2009 - flooding on Creek Road. That is a driveway bridge to a farm. You can see all the timber caught on the upstream side of the bridge and appreciate the force of the flood waters.

And this one from 2011 is of the Delaware River. It is a major watercourse. Shoreline is beyond the trees. There was water in the post office which is two streets over from the river. I didn't go into town to photograph until the water had started going down.

Today is much less windy, clear skies, much lower humidity. In fact, a very nice summer day.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 17 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot today, but still with a pleasant breeze, so tolerable. I can't cope when it gets very hot, stuff pours out of me, quite embarrassing but if that's the way I'm made, there we are!

Hope all goes well in your neck of the woods Jam Lady, and you don't get too wet! 10 cms. per hour is a lot of water to accommodate. I guess it would be "deeply white" by now if it was winter!

I can get a dumpy bag on my trailer and probably 2 if I try, MR, but rather a lot of weight on a single axle trailer 7ftx4ft. The volume of the trailer is such that when I fill the trailer level to the sides then I fill a cu. yard and have a bit left over for me! My plan is to sell in a dumpy if I can; but I will be trying by the bag too as there is more cash in that!-5 feed bags for £10 or £2.50 each. It is mainly ash with some oak and very well seasoned that I was thinking of rescuing some from the firewood to make tool handles. I just need to find a source of suitably small feed bags!

About the fire, we should have learned a lesson, are there any other properties out there with the same potential to give us an action replay and if so what is being done today; should have been the day after in reality? Talking does not save lives! Do we know what actually caused the blaze, and the names of any other buildings needed to be looked at/evacuated?

Glad you had a good spin in the history room Cassandra, always seems a real plus when things you don't expect, turn out well. Your friend's house sounds like my idea of heaven, no near neighbours, bliss!

Last edited by gregotyn on Fri Jun 23, 17 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 17 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looked bad Jam Lady, so hope you don't have any repeats. I have heard of the Delaware river and know it is pretty big.

Gregotyn, some of the ash might be ideal for tool handles. Before we turned to imported hickory we used it a lot as it has a bit of resilience which makes it good for things like axe and hammer handles. In fact cricket bats still have ash handles. Good luck with the firewood.

We have to have another firing of the big kiln next week as every one seems to want charcoal at the moment. Hoping it will cool down a bit as dealing with charcoal when the temperature is about 30 C is not any or us's idea of fun.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 17 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose, keep in mind that these were two isolated incidents from 6 and 8 years ago. So on the whole roads are fine with the typical rainfall. A picture of the road on an ordinary day would not be as attention getting.

Gulf Coast will be a different story with the storm sweeping in today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 17 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true Jam Lady it is always the atypical that causes the sensation! Just keep safe is the main thing if it comes again anywhere near you.

I was looking for a long piece of ash for a hole digging spade, but these have all been chopped for the fire before I got there, however I have some of my own to fell soon, which I hope will yield a decent straight grained stale about 4ft. long; I can find and old handle anywhere-I never throw anything away; guess what I always need is 'it' once 'it' has been disposed of to the scrap heap/fire!

I would see the charcoal business as money coming in and not be too bothered about the state I get into. Making money by sending up smoke sounds good to me, but I see what you mean, a lot of work to cut the wood, cart it to the kiln and then to get it loaded and running and then empty the kiln-dirty job-and bag it probably equally dirty all for sale, and then deliver it to the customer, who probably doesn't have a clue what is involved and whinges about the price. Do you cut sizes especially for the kiln or for the charcoal sizes you want to sell? Are the offcuts used of any timber already felled, mixed types, or is charcoal as good regardless of the starting timber. As a process it interests me, but I am sure I wouldn't want to do it myself-"idleitis" has set in a bit lately. I suppose it is the move that is taking most of my waking hours along with the job. I am able to chop kindling at the rate of around 3 nets a day, so in theory at 500 a year I should have enough to get to next Jan/Feb., but I enjoy the wood chopping that I will just keep on going. Once I retire I may go for another shop to chop for!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 17 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son messaged us yesterday and we now have 52 bags in arrears. Came home from holiday today, and he has collected and cut some wood and collected some more, so with any luck we can get going tomorrow by loading the big kiln and the little one and maybe firing the little one.

We tend to cut most of the wood between 12 and 16" for the big kiln Gregotyn, but we put all sorts of odd bits in; some that won't split, although they often have to go round twice as they don't fully charcoal the first time, and sometimes failures at things like spoons or turned things. Sadly they come out the same shape to remind us of our failure. We have to break up large bits as they would break anyway as they are so brittle, but we leave them a reasonable size, perhaps up to 6" long. The little kiln has to be packed more carefully to get a reasonable yield, so we put a layer of 16" bits, as straight as possible, in the bottom, end up, then another layer on top and finish with odd bits and brown ends. Brown ends are the bits that don't fully charcoal so they tend to stay brown and they are still really wood, so get put in to have another go.

I am sure you know, but if you can get your handle out of a quartered log, cleaved rather than sawn, you will get the strongest result and it shouldn't split.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 17 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have enjoyed the break-back to it today I hope!! I am hoping the parcel made it-or have you said that? my memory pretty bad now. Good to have a son at work when you are off on holiday, seems as though he has worked hard whilst you have been gadding. I must admit I like working and I never use all my quota-I get more money that way, I always do 6 hours a day, but holiday pay is 4 hours. I have forgotten to book a day for the Royal Welsh Show this time, must do that on Monday or I won't get the time off.
I learned the hard way MR, with a wooden handle a few years back, when I joined a timber pallet making company in the saw mill, seeing a straight piece of log decided to turn a handle for a sledge hammer and the result was that it split-green wood-as it dried out-before I had even hit a stake! Lets face it at 24 I knew it all, 40 odd years on I realise how much I still have to learn, and less time to do it in! The ash logs are all well seasoned and are mainly 12 to 14 inches long and mainly quartered some of it is 10 years old. I was thinking of turning a few for chisel handles and so on for sale, (thoughts of fork 'andles came to mind too!!) just an idea.
Thank you for the gen on the charcoal, I like to understand these things without doing them. I had visions of you cutting timber to size before you fired up the kilns! Though I suppose you would get less "still wooden ends" after firing for reburning the smaller you cut them in the first place, but that is a guess. Will your charcoal burners make 52 bags in their allotted burn time between them, or will you be on the case for a bit longer than 2 burns?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 17 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ash should be good for chisel handles Gregotyn.

Depending on how it feels, we usually get about 50 or so bags out of a kiln, but we need to try to get ahead a bit, so we will fire the second kiln as well. We have 2 ring kilns that were supposed to stack, but it didn't work out. Not sure if the geometry was wrong or we didn't have the experience, so we bought another lid and can run them as 2 separate ones. We haven't run the second kiln on that site, so the chances are that it will give a lower yield. We will run the little kiln as well, and that should give us another half dozen bags.

Got the first kiln filled yesterday, so will be firing this weekend.

The parcel got through all right. Thank you very much.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 17 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, MR, I got the pm, but it didn't register until I was logging out, so I got back into the pooter and replied; glad you liked the contents.
I have been out and about, looking for various things this morning, lunch, an anti woodworm potion-failed too expensive-diesel will have to do, and a new pair of working trousers.
I wonder if others have the same problem as me in that my waist size varies from winter to summer, by around 6 inches. Basically I eat more in the winter to keep warm, and eat much less in the summer as I am working outside at home as well as carrying stuff at work for 6 hours. I have been this way for years so I don't worry. Perhaps I should find a sport for the winter to keep the weight down. I swim every week courtesy of the local council, who give the over 60's a free swim in school term time, but charge for non term time, even though to pool is heated year round.
Thank you for the low down on the charcoal I really shouldn't be so nosey as to how it operates, but I like to understand other peoples' enterprises as it broadens knowledge.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 17 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to know too Gregotyn. We also like people to understand what goes into making the things we sell, so we enjoy people taking an interest.

I am having the opposite problem to you with trousers. I have lost a little bit of weight, mainly round the waist, and as I am wearing men's trousers I am having problems with too much cloth slipping out of the belt. If I get women's trousers same problem as women of the 'certain age' I am are not supposed to have waists. As I need hard wearing ones, fashion ones are no good, and home made trousers never seem to work well.

After all the hot dry weather we have had, we did a show yesterday and it was drizzly and with a gusty wind at times. One gust blew over several parts of our display, and I had to give up with the cards as they were spread for several yards behind the tent. Luckily by that time it was dry. Son turned a creole or jess holder for the ferret man who also has hawks and he was very happy with it, so a satisfied customer. I finished a spoon I started at the last show which had a natural curve in the original wood. Lovely grain and figuring too, but a brute to work smooth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 269 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive