Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 17 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this extreme weather! Here the turn of the year has been heralded by a sudden plunge in temperature. We even got snow the night before last - though gritty grainy snow it was and soon gone. Tonight is heading for zero which is an improvement on the minus 4 the other night, and I am huddled by a heater that has yet to make any real dent on the chill that built up while i was at the History Room today. And that was so cold I had to raid my beanie stash to keep my ears on my head!!

I do like winter for all of that, and have been enjoying having the excuse to remain indoors and potter about pulling the kitchen apart. It is all gone now bar the two cabinets that must stay due to plumbing requirements, and one cabinet that seems to be fixed to the benchtop at the back. That will stay till Thursday when I disconnect the dishwasher.

The washing machine will be dismantled tomorrow assuming the weather remains inclement - if it fines up I will do a few loads of washing before unplugging it. I have to remember to install the stabilisers so don't want to do it at the last minute, and there is always the laundromat in emergencies.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 17 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you folk remind me why i like DS ,

ps a blanket in the back of a washing machine is a good substitute for missing "stabilisers" if needs be

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 17 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoy our chat Dpack. Sounds as if you are busy Cassandra. As you can gather, we have been having the other extreme of weather, but as we are trying to get our charcoal supplies back on an even keel, the weather is turning. We are threatened with a low pressure area sitting on us at the end of the week, so unloading the kilns might be a bit problematical. We fired both the big and little kilns yesterday, but the big kiln wasn't too bad and we finished by about 6.30 p.m.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 17 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a different situation to you Cassandra, I don't have a washing machine, but do have a lot of old trousers, so rather than go down to the laundrette and wash the trousers I am wearing them to destruction and slinging them! I have replaced one pair, in case, so far; in case meaning that if I have to go to work and expecting a visitation from a dignitary, I can at least look smartish, even if I am the 3rd storeman on the left and sited in the lorry garage, occasionally I get introduced to the MD of a major customer or supplier. I will be buying another 3 pairs in the near future, jic-just in case-I get fame, Ha, Ha!

I have the solution, MR, add a few extra belt holders round the waist band to accommodate the belt and reduce the sag of the excess cloth or when I have such a problem I wear a long pullover!.
How long does the big kiln take to complete its' cycle MR? I went to a demo a long time ago now-25 years ago-on some mountain woodland below Builth Wells, where the chap had started the job the day before hoping to be able to show the smoke change after, I think, 12 hours burning and then the hole blocking ceremony. It didn't happen whilst i was there so I learned very little, but was fascinated by the description of its workings thinking I would like a go. Well past it now, too much hard graft. Next time I fall a tree it will keep me in warmth and hot water for a couple of years I hope-ash!

We all knew each other at a previous forum, dpack, so it wasn't hard to get back to talking again. I have to say this is a better all round forum; and I haven't seen a cross word yet from anyone. Plenty of aggro where we came from, if you wanted it, mostly stemming from one man in particular. I am much happier here, more advice available if you need it.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 17 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually takes about 12 hours for the complete burn Gregotyn, but can be anything from 10 to 15 depending on how dry the wood is and whether the hearth is dry. The first burn of the season is usually a long one so we try to do it after the clocks go forward as it gets a bit tricky in the dark. Some people light theirs then run it on one chimney and one part closed vent overnight, then finish the next day, but we prefer to run it straight through. We then have to leave it another day to ensure it is fully out and cool before digging out. There are stories of people opening it the next day and having to put the bags of charcoal out when they caught fire.

We managed to get the digging out done and 30 bags filled before the rain came yesterday, so we have some to distribute. Husband and son hoping to be able to bag some more today and do a run to 3 places in one direction while I deliver the other way.

Had some mange tout peas (sugar peas) from the garden in a salad yesterday, and one French bean.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 17 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing much to report.

Invited neighbors over for dinner last week. They arrived an hour early. Summertime, cold meal, so that was all taken care of but they caught me before shower and change of clothes. Oh well.

Driveway being seal coated tomorrow. Cannot drive on it for minimum of 48 hours. Will not go out to eat on my birthday as I don't want to trudge up the driveway after a good meal and a couple of glasses of wine. Next week maybe.

Be well, as you all seem to be doing.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 17 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have put that stuff on the road outside our house, but it didn't take quite so long to dry luckily. Hoping it will keep the road good for a some years. Anyway, have a happy birthday at home Jam Lady.

We had a really wet drizzly day yesterday so couldn't do a lot in the woods. I went shopping, delivering some charcoal and sawdust on the way. Everything was fine until I got near Chichester, then got tied up with Goodwood Race Track and their Festival of Speed. All sorts of odd things on the move, the supermarket was full of groups in corporate wear who I assume were involved, and there was a distinct lack of quite a lot of the things I wanted to buy. Sadly I think everything is supplied centrally so they never think about local events clearing the shelves. Rather grumpy.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 17 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always grumpy MR, that way when things go right I am twice as elated!
We have had showers on and off, but overall weather has not been too rough over the last few days. What is noticeable is that the nights are not light as late as they have been in the evening and are just that bit darker in the morning when I go out. I notice it more as I am always on the road by 5am and sometimes before.

Happy birthday Jam Lady. I am sure his Lordship will do the cooking on the day-just say it was one of the girls who suggested he would! I hope all goes well with the drive sealing and that you can go out for a celebratory meal.

Thank you for the gen on the burning MR. I always thought it was about 12 hours with draught and then a further 6 hours without, but as I said it is a long time ago and the memory is a bit hazy to say the least.
I am still packing at night and chopping by early mornings, not sure how I manage to fit work in! It will be worth it to get away from where I am and be able to do what I want, and when I want to do it, regaining some of my property back from the wild. I have to hire a man with a strimmer as my arms are not up to the job now. I will then get a kill all weeds spray-goes a bit against the grain-but it will be quick and clinical so that my pathways are clear. Then I will start the big dig in and get a veg patch going next year. If I don't get enough done then I will go back to container veg growing, which I have done before and quite enjoy sitting down to weeding!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 17 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchtime, and the seal coat guys not here yet. Coating surface dries to rain in an hour, Mistress Rose. Underneath takes longer. IDK - maybe they use something different on public roads. We want this to last as long as possible. If that means no vehicles for 48 hours that's fine.

Gregotyn, good thought but not an option. Mr Jam Lord does not cook, beyond hot dogs in a toaster over. And I don't especially care for hot dogs.

Off to pick sour cherries after lunch.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 17 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be nice for you to finally move Gregotyn, and get a garden again. We used to go narrow boating on the canals, and it would have been an attractive life for a while after we retired, but I don't think I could have done without a vegetable garden. Anyway, we got the woods and won't really retire now I don't think.

Hope you get plenty of sour cherries Jam Lady. Are they yours or do you have to get them from elsewhere?

Managed to bag some more charcoal yesterday, so that fulfilled 3 orders all up one main road. Still have 22 outstanding and another 22 on longer order, so doing another firing over the next few days. Husband and son got some more wood in yesterday, so hoping to cut it and load today.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 17 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pick the sour cherries at the nearby orchard where we buy peaches, blueberries, strawberries, apples. Not many people want sour cherries so I'm allowed to come and pick alongside Mike. Two buckets / 13.5 pounds = just over 6 kilograms. I'll get more this weekend.

Today I'll go back for some sweet cherries and - hopefully - the first blueberries. Mike will have picked those.

The seal coat workers had just gotten here when I returned home so I was able to drive up with the cherries. For the next couple of days I will be schlepping things up through the woods wearing my ash splint backpack. Oh joy, says she grumpily.

And Tuesday is the Glorious Fourth of July, Independence Day.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 17 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today started well enough got a lot chopped this morning, did all I needed to do at work in time for the boys arriving and everything was as rosy as 'they' say. Left work at 1.00pm as has been normal for this week, one of our number being on holiday. On my way home I call daily to get lunch and evening meal. Today, however, I went to the bank first to get some cash, more than the card would allow, so off to the cashier who wouldn't give me the money as she said my signature didn't match that they have in the bank's computer. So I went to the cash machine and got what I could, and will be calling there daily from now on for 5 days! And the plan is to leave the bank and go elsewhere asap. Not sure where to go as I don't want pooter banking. I have enough trouble understanding what I am supposed to do, without another complication to give me issues to deal with. Happy now that has been aired, I will repent by Monday.

MR I have seen gardens on barges-narrow boats-(barges when I was a child), and they were full of coal and other goodies as cargo, taken over by the roads and big lorries now-not a veg or flower to be seen! This trend may change when/if diesel is banned and canals may even come back into favour!

I am not much of a cook either, Jam Lady. I tend to be heating things up to eat-not proper cooking. I can get a jacket potato, tin of peas or carrots and a piece of fish heated to make a meal sort of, though lately I have been eating vegetarian steak as the grill has decided not to work. I hope the coating people arrived to get the job done for you and to your satisfaction.

Tomorrow I will be carting more stuff from my current abode to my house and new shed in the afternoon, post posting here. It is a great shed but was build on concrete already laid a long time ago to hold manure from cattle prior to spreading in more clement weather. It was laid in sections and not sealed so the water, when it rains comes up and flows through the shed, I am not happy; I have to put all things aquaphobic in their own waterproof container-I'd do things differently using hindsight now, but foresight earlier would have been very useful! Once I am in then I will put a layer of screed down which will stop the problem instantly-hopefully.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 17 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cherries look lovely, but can see why most people want sweet ones. What do you make with them Jam Lady? Please could you post a picture of your back pack. That isn't a tradition here, but I know some people in the US make them.

Gregotyn, banks can be difficult. The cashier must have been having a grumpy day as everyone's signature changes with time. I don't think internet banking would work for you as you have to use the library one anyway. Pity your shed floor floods. I hope you can get it sorted all right.

I picked a courgette, some French beans and mange tout peas when I went down to water the greenhouse yesterday. The garden is coming along well this year, although I am not sure I will get a good crop out of some things. The cabbages are looking good and the potatoes doing well, but the onions keep sending up flower shoots, so not sure if I will get much from them.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 17 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cherries do look good Jam Lady; strange that my post went up after yours, but I didn't see it before I posted my post on Friday, maybe some delay somewhere? Glad the drive has been done for you even if there is some inconvenience associated. Now there is a word I have never heard before "schlepping". I am guessing it means trudging-walking under duress! Enjoy the fruit harvesting whilst you can, it is a sign!
It is not a flood that comes through the shed but a rising with the water table when it rains and so there is not much flow I will next summer empty the shed-a lot of work-and put a mix down of a screed about 1inch-25mm-thick which should do the trick of waterproofing. For now I will put in some shelves to get that which needs to be above ground safely out of the wet-firewood does need to be dry. Got to go or I will lose this.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 17 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already done one long E mail to friends who I haven't seen for a while. I am too busy in reality to go, but they are, and have been so good to me, and I have known them for about 40 years, when they had problems-2 young children, so swings and roundabouts! They are busy now-3 young grand children, but we make time for each other.
Anyway the computer wouldn't give me more time, and shut me off, there must be a technical hitch.
I hope Cassandra is ok.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 270 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive