Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 17 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no knowledge of electronics, in any way. don't know what they are talking about when the boys at work do 'things'. I can get the parts they want as they are all in a packet with an old fashioned number printed on the side! I can also do the self service at the super markets but that's it. Best of luck with the dishwasher-I have a dish cloth and it works for me! Glad the cats are happier with each other.

Pleased you managed with the charity walk in London, MR, not a place I like or intend to go to again in my life except to maybe use the airport. I have never felt at home there-guess it is the pace of life that is too much for me now. The girls in the library are all good at the pooting I am lucky, wish I hadn't wasted so much money on various short courses, 10 down to 8 weeks at a time for £33 a go at the end. And the girls here could have done the lot fore me, over a longer period of time. I read about the dog walkers-how stupid to walk dogs through cattle, both walker and dog are in serious danger of being maimed or killed! My sheep dog Meg was however much better with cattle than sheep, she just stood in front of a small herd of escaping bullocks and barked and they went back, major relief for me but she was brave. At the time they were chasing a small dog that was in the back of the pickup that the farmer had parked whilst he was working and had not closed the gate, when the cattle came she jumped out and ran for it they gave chase; I was taking Meg a walk at exactly the time they were close to the main road and we just stood whilst my now deceased Meg went mad at them and they stopped and went back to the field.

I am exiting my current abode under the barn this week, well Friday I hope so communication may be a bit sparse. It isn't that I don't want to talk to you just got lots to do, and not a lot of time to do it; the land lord is being a bit nasty shouting and so on but I am bigger and stronger if needs be, but at my age there will be restraint. I am no longer physically a boy, only mentally! He is in for a shock as he has been stealing things off me and hiding them in a locked shed, but he has made one or 2 mistakes and left some things out on view. And of course the caravan couldn't be locked and he snoops-he once told me how rich I was!

Librarian has just found a book, Green Woodwork, by Mike Abbott for my bedside reading at night! Looks like hard work from the outside cover.

Rained today going to work at 5am and has just started again as I am getting ready to go home.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 17 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope one way or the other you get the dishwasher sorted Cassandra. We have had one for a long time and do all the dishes in it, although I still hand wash the pots. I have Le Creuset pots, so would have to take the handle off every time they were washed as they have an aluminium end to the handle and a wooden grip.

Look forward to seeing the vest when it is finished. From what I have seen so far it is looking good. I am stalled on my knitting again at the moment as I am trying to work out what row I am on for the other side of the front neck.

Gregotyn, unpleasant that your landlord is being nasty. Hope you get the move finished this week and can be comfortably settled in your new place by the weekend. I do some of the things in Green Woodwork, which we have got, but by no means all. I do the besoms, spoons, spatulas and a basket that isn't in there. Currently working on a coffee scoop with a feather shaped handle. I have done most of it now; just have the detail on the handle and shaving off the top of the scoop part to do.

Husband was looking through the footage on the security camera yesterday and found that we don't just have one leveret, but a female hare with 3 leverets. I haven 't seen it yet, as I was in the middle of doing a stocktake of our greetings cards and didn't want to give up part way. He thinks they may have been living under one of the sheds we have. Rather nice anyway.

We had rain yesterday too, but husband and son managed to do some firewood. I stayed home and did the greeting card stock take and some housework. Managed to get down the garden and picked some courgettes and French beans. The garden certainly needed the rain, although things seem to be growing quite well on the whole.

cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 17 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dishwasher is finally functioning well and i am rather happy with its efforts so far - plastic containers I thought had gone cloudy from being in the machine are now transparent once more (which makes me wonder how much grime I have consumed over the last 8 years) and having the half-load option is excellent. Means I can do the dishes more frequently. The Le Creuset model I have has a plastic knob and steel pin, so not a problem in the washer, though limiting somewhat in terms of temperature ranges in the oven.

I did two loads of washing as it was sunny and there was a breeze, but the second load failed to dry so I took it with me on the way to clean the bank, popped it in a drier at the laundromat and collected a nice dry load on the way home.

The rest of the day was spent preparing the next window display for the History Room, so I have the spars for a kite, and associated tissue paper, glue, string etc, sheets of paper for paper planes, my Arthur Mee's Childrens Encyclopaedia open at the page for making a model plan, a spotters training poster for WW11 plane silhouettes, flying helmet and goggles as well as a WW1 recruiting poster including the RAF. So that should work as the theme is 'Flight'.

It will be nice to get my bedside mat back as the floor has been a bit chilly lately with minus degrees on a regular basis.

Gregotyn, what a horrible landlord! I hope you recover anything of value before you leave! And best wishes for settling into your new (old) home.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 17 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason I always hand wash cooking pots. Dishes, glassware, cutlery (not sharp knives for prep cutting meat and vegetables) go in the dishwasher. My Le Creuset pots have a black plastic knob handle for the lid, handles on body of pot are integral formed metal with same enameled coating. The pot I use for baking bread goes into the 450 degree Fahrenheit / 232 degree Celsius oven, never had a problem with the knob. There are some baked on black spatters on the outside of the pots - thinking about spraying with oven cleaner to see if it will remove them.

Still working away on sour cherry preserves. Today will finish off the sour cherry jam with red wine. The blueberry lavender jam is quite nice.

Pity your landlord is finishing out your tenancy with bad memories, Gregotyn. After the length of time you've been there I would have thought he'd be sorry to see you go and want a peaceful fare-thee-well.

No hares, Mistress Rose, but the late day rabbits outside the kitchen are very regular. Here's a couple of pictures to see when you have nothing else claiming your attention.

Your history room window display sounds magnificent, Cassandra. Please take a picture and share it with us.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 17 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have finally got the dishwasher going Cassandra. Did you have to get someone in to look at it or did the odd bits you did sort it out? The History Room display sounds interesting.

Like the pictures of the rabbits Jam Lady. Are they European rabbits or are they home grown American ones?

I have a visit to a Lavender Farm this afternoon, but before that I have an appointment with some charcoal bags, so a good wash is in order between the two I think.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 17 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sorted out the mechanical issues MR, and then resumed a more logical and patient approach to interpreting the displays and buttons. The instructions are less than comprehensive so it took logic and patience to work out what they were actually trying to communicate with their images.

The window is now dressed - but i am dissatisfied with the result as there is a bare corner that needs something - ideally a model plane of which I have none. And neither do we have one in our collection. I will post a photo when I have loaded them onto the computer.

I accompanied the display with some printed descriptions accompanied by pleas for additional information from members of the public - I concluded there was no point having a static display, but that engaging with those viewing it would be useful to increase our collection of information.

The fire is lit once more and i am looking forward to bangers and mash (after I have washed the casserole dish) for dinner.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 17 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our weather is just the opposite of yours, Cassandra. Today will be brutally hot - and humid too. My bananas are loving it. Me? Not so much. In fact, not at all.

Mistress Rose, when I've visited a lavender farm and come home with an armful I make lavender vinegar - fill a large jar with flowers and cover with white vinegar, let steep and then strain. Nice for cleaning. And lavender sugar - strip off flowers and add to jar of sugar. That's what I used for the blueberry lavender jam. It is also nice for lavender shortbread. And lavender bottles using fresh lavender and a narrow ribbon, lavender color of course. Tie an odd number of fresh lavender stems just under flower heads. Gently bend stems back up over them. Weave ribbon under and over until you reach the end of the stems, then trim. Let dry. Makes a lovely sachet. Called a "bottle" because it narrows when you weave beyond the flowers using just the stems.

Genuine American rabbits, Mistress Rose. The larger one has a tiny white tip to one ear, makes it recognizable. And the young one is so funny - full of energy, just leaps up and dashes around, then goes back to eating the weeds in the lawn.

Sour cherry jam with red wine is wonderful. Had enough liquid over for one jar of jelly. So today I think I will make sour cherry berry red wine jelly, with strawberry and raspberry added in.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 17 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the move, just want my property back, stolen boxes, a plough he had under false pretences and 2 useful cloches made of box steel which he begged off me and has never used. I suppose he always got his way at home as he was the baby-last one of 6-3 already gone. It was so different when I was fencing the place with him, he had a labourer to help swinging the sledge hammer!

It may be that you have the job at my house if you should need to come back to the UK, Cassandra, subject to the quote! I am impressed with your kitchen alteration skills and general practicality; I am just getting older and don't want the hassle anymore. I have a few major problems with the house in so much as the septic tank, sceptical as we call it, doesn't want to work so there is a few bob to spend. And a lot of water things to do I will get there eventually I hope.
I always would worry if I left a load of washing in the laundrette, that it wouldn't be there when I got back!

Where do the rabbits go in winter Jam Lady? I was thinking stew! But I suppose they will be too tough by then! I am not over keen on rabbit to eat, but as I used to shoot them, I didn't let them go to waste.

I may well not be in on Friday or Saturday as you can imagine I have a lot to do, even though I am a fair way on with the packing, I still have to haul it away-I have hired a man with a tractor to move the pallets with his loader and fork lift tines which will get the bulk out of the way quite quickly. I have to call on a chap I know to whom I lent a hand fork pallet truck saying that if I needed it I would let him know-well now I need it!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 17 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you make another small kite to put in that corner of the window Cassandra? It doesn't have to be flyable, but just fill a hole.

I don't find the pretty picture type of instructions much help either, nor do I understand icons quite often as you need to think the same way as the person designing them.

I have made lavender bottles Jam Lady. I used to get quite a lot of lavender and make them for sale. Haven't good a good cheap source of ribbon now, so it isn't really worth while. The preserves all sound good.

Gregotyn, hope the move goes well and you reclaim all that belongs to you. Look forward to hearing about it when you are next with us.

We decided to only do enough charcoal bags for an immediate order as the mosquitoes were horrible after the rain. Husband took that up in the afternoon while I was at the lavender farm.

We had a guided tour, but there was only really the field, which had strips of lavender and wild flowers to see. Very lovely as there were a number of different flowers in some strips such as corn marigold, vipers bugloss, both blue and white, cornflowers and ox eye daisies. The farmer told us about some of the crops they were growing, including letting out about 150 acres to someone else for potatoes for crisps. They used to grow hops, but they have only been selling them for decoration the last few years and the sales have been tailing off a bit. He has any lavender he wants to extract the oil from to someone else we know through Farmers Market who cuts it all straight into a container which can then be coupled up to a steam distillation plant. Had a nice cream tea afterwards.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 17 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weaving ribbon is not my strong point JL - my lavender bottles are more functional than pretty. But they do give a lovely smell to the knicker drawer and linen closet.

It was about 8 degrees warmer last night than I expected so I had a very bad night's sleep as I rearranged bedding to reduce the heat. I finally got off to sleep at about 3, so slept in quite spectacularly thanks to the overcast skies. Fortunately the dog was in the mood for a snooze too, so it worked out well.

So having had a late start I took a tip run then called in to visit various friends and came home to split wood before settling in for the evening - which is what I am doing now.

We had a drop of rain but the gauge had only 3.5 mm this morning and though more has fallen I doubt it was much more than that again.

Minus 3 again tonight so I will not permanently rearrange things, but I think the quilt will be replaced by the summer one once these frosty mornings are past.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 17 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful outing Mistress Rose. I always enjoyed my visits to the lavender farm over here. But no cream tea. That's something I've only experienced once in my life. Of course it was when I was in England. It was at Banwell Castle. Fond memory.

Cassandra, if you want something even easier than a ribbon-woven lavender bottle - health food stores over here sell empty tea bags for making up your own. If they are available where you live, just strip off lavender flowers and bag them up for sachets.

A memory just came floating up - I used to sew up little packets. Lavender voile type fabric with a white lacy fabric overlay. For lemon scented (lemon verbena, lemon balm) it would be yellow fabric / white lace. Also made some with Epsom salts and the herbal fragrance for bath salts.

Problem was it was long ago and I was so far ahead of the curve that the people I gifted them to were not as enthusiastic as I was.

Hope you have good weather for the move and settling in to your new home Gregotyn.

Someone supposed to come and clean the chimney this morning so of course it is raining. Never fails.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 17 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea about the tea bags. Jam Lady.. I haven't seen them for sale. here although. I did see one at a tea shop yesterday.. You can make your own clotted cream, strawberry jam and scones for cream tea, but. you need single cream or unhomogonised milk. for the clotted cream.

Cassandra, hope you get a better night's sleep tonight. Your weather is even more unpredictable than ours, and that is saying something.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 17 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can get the teabags on line, but I prefer to make my own lavender bags - much as you describe JL. I have a bundle of suitable fabric, a bag of dried lavender flowers, and no time or access to the machine to put them together. So at present, the paper bag is in the drawer and the lavender is doing its work anyway!

Fortunately I have a number of friends with productive lavender bushes so no shortage of the base material.

Today was washing day - lovely sunshine and a fair breeze, so everything dried, including the winter quilt. I have retired that and replaced the summer quilt, now retrieved from the History Room window. Tonight, of course, I will be needing an additional blanket, but hey, that's life here in winter.

Going back to the political debate - I had the temerity to suggest that the rebel Senator might want to look at herself since she had had similar conflicts with all previous party leaders. Once is a personality conflict, three times does require a little self-examination, I feel. As a consequence I have been blocked from the discussion page - apparently run by the rather further to the left people than me. As I said in my parting shot - suppression of opposition is clear evidence of a failure to grasp the principles of 'grass roots democracy' which they so loudly proclaim. Oh well, that's about 30 people off my friend list, and less clutter of irritating views.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 17 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came in to check the emails, and find that there are none! However, I did do a longish post yesterday and find there is none printed! wondering if that is because I am on chrome?
I must go D Day is with me and I'm moving. see you all next week with a no doubt blow by blow account!

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 17 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best with the move gregotyn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 273 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive