Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How often can you freeze chicken?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
 Message
Annemieke



Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 128
Location: Somerset UK
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 17 3:40 pm    Post subject: How often can you freeze chicken?  Reply with quote    

I bought a fresh chicken and froze it. Two weeks later I defrosted and cooked it. The leftovers I froze again. I ate those yesterday and kept the bones for broth, froze them. When I have enough bones I will defrost them and make broth - to freeze this, again, in portions.
Is it bad to freeze and defrost a chicken so many times? I tell you, that broth is lovely ..

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 7055
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 17 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I've done it and I'm not dead.

Midlandsman



Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 17 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

It's fine, because you've processed it between each stage.

MM

bagpuss



Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 10505
Location: cambridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 17 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Midlandsman wrote:
It's fine, because you've processed it between each stage.

MM


This,

Defrosting food gives any bacteria on it time to grow, defrosting and refreezing raw food makes this particularly dangerous.

Defrosting food and refreezing it without heating or processing it sufficient to kill bacteria is very dangerous.

It is worth noting defrosting and refreezing always carry some danger with it, so doing this when feeding small children, pregnant women and other immune suppressed people carries increased risk

Annemieke



Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 128
Location: Somerset UK
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 17 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That all sounds very sensible Bagpuss, but only if you keep off the cupcakes as well!

Midlandsman



Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 17 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

bagpuss wrote:
Midlandsman wrote:
It's fine, because you've processed it between each stage.

MM


This,

Defrosting food gives any bacteria on it time to grow, defrosting and refreezing raw food makes this particularly dangerous.

Defrosting food and refreezing it without heating or processing it sufficient to kill bacteria is very dangerous.

It is worth noting defrosting and refreezing always carry some danger with it, so doing this when feeding small children, pregnant women and other immune suppressed people carries increased risk
I agree. It is always worth taking extra precautions with 'at risk' groups.

However, freezing previously frozen raw meat after cooking is a fairly standard practice that even the FSA say is fine, without mention of the risk groups. So, in this case the risk can be assumed to be negligible.

MM

bagpuss



Joined: 09 Dec 2004
Posts: 10505
Location: cambridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 17 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Midlandsman wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
Midlandsman wrote:
It's fine, because you've processed it between each stage.

MM


This,

Defrosting food gives any bacteria on it time to grow, defrosting and refreezing raw food makes this particularly dangerous.

Defrosting food and refreezing it without heating or processing it sufficient to kill bacteria is very dangerous.

It is worth noting defrosting and refreezing always carry some danger with it, so doing this when feeding small children, pregnant women and other immune suppressed people carries increased risk
I agree. It is always worth taking extra precautions with 'at risk' groups.

However, freezing previously frozen raw meat after cooking is a fairly standard practice that even the FSA say is fine, without mention of the risk groups. So, in this case the risk can be assumed to be negligible.

MM


I agree with freezing stuff which you cooked once, the freeze/thaw freeze/thaw operation described in the original post I might approach with more caution

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32722
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 17 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

if the stock bones collection was boiled from frozen it removes one stage of potential bio challenge from the process.

i have not noticed any difference to stock quality when using frozen bones strait into boiling water/veg bits.

Annemieke



Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Posts: 128
Location: Somerset UK
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 17 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Good idea. xA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->