Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 17 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early geographers posited the idea that there was a land mass in the south of the globe to balance the land mass in the north - that was Terra Australis Incognita. The early Dutch explorers named it New Holland and that name continued across the map as they discovered it was quite big. https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/evolution/rare-surviving-17thcentury-wall-map-of-australia-discovered-in-italian-home/news-story/aa5b157208c1281af3819751388132d6

Tasmania (and New Guinea) was originally thought to be part of that and the more accurate mapping of the coast was not achieved till Flinders circumnavigate the place, twice. The East Coast was named New South Wales by the British colonists. and that name applied to all of what we now know as Queensland, NSW, Victoria, South Australia and the Northern Territory as well as Tasmania till we worked out it was a separate bit. Which is when we became VDL and they started thinking it would be a good idea to establish a colony here too to keep those nasty French from claiming it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_Australia

Flinders was the person who suggested the land mass be renamed Australia (from the terra Australis) and this was accepted in 1804 or thereabouts (the time my first relatives arrived as free settlers). https://www.google.com.au/search?q=naming+Australia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=CEWVWfCxHazr8Aed6JzgBA

It was also Flinders who first established Tassie was a separate landmass in 1798 (ie ten years after settlement).

The Aboriginal people who we conveniently lump together as a coherent mass were actually a very diverse range of cultures, expressed in their art, stone tools, physical appearance and cultural practices and best defined by European scholars by their language groups

So no. No united name for the land masses - placenames tend to relate to the characteristics of the place in terms of resources, water availability, weather (my village is named for the preponderance of frost and fog), or their role in the many creation stories (which are now being found to have a basis in fact as further research and understanding of our environment progresses). Tassie is not on this map, but has five main language groups.

Here endeth the lesson, haha.

Cold and windy today, but at least nice and sunny. I held court in the History Room rather than actually getting much done - which was a good thing as I was feeling squarmish. But Patty called in and talked about things Council should do but hasn't, Ron called in and talked about the stuff he does (he is our 80+++ handyman, increasingly deaf and frail but keen to do stuff). He had problems with the lawnmower which has a pull cord and wants us to buy him a new cheap chinese one which I am reluctant to do. So I took it to the service station and discussed it with them. It seems the cord pull works a treat, so the problem is with Ron's increasing frailty. I have suggested if they are unable to rig something up to make it easier for him, perhaps we could trade it in on an electric model - second hand. It's not a bit area to mow, so an electric job would do the trick I suspect.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 17 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in for a short time, going at the weekend, most packed up that is left, and ready for the off and most left ad lib at the other end, and so that is when the work starts, what to throw, sell or keep. Absolutely certain that at least half of what is there has to go. I am also in the early stages of building a field shelter for a big horse for the winter. The couple grazing the field accidently have the old horse back as the buyers didn't like him in the end, so they are landed with 2 and no grazing. and granny has sent to me a pie and cake so what can I do. They have (yippee) expressed a wish to buy the place so that has possibilities, I have no ties and may just approach the council for an oap bungalow, and spend the rest of my life travelling round seeing old mates, with a small base when the mates get fed up of me! An option, get the spare rooms ready girls!! On the other hand I like the house so we may just get round to sharing-there is already 2 kitchens, 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms and is divisible. What a bonfire I have planned for November!

All pie in the sky at present. The friends whose children are the beneficiaries of my will, would be glad not to have the cleaning bill to pay after they have cleaned up and thrown most away!

Main priority is to get the kindling done and chopped and netted ready for winter, I am waiting on the sacks to get started! I am about half way with bulk but only 6 weeks of nets-panic!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 17 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is so very busy. You are all operating at warp speed.

Gregotyn, just think how nice it will be when you are - at last - in your new home. All will be well, ending well.

Cassandra, sounds like you are getting the history room into good shape. What else could they expect when you become president. (Care to take on a county? Ours could certainly use a stern talking to.)

And Mistress Rose, I think biscuit making is definitely a downsizer-y activity. Where would we be without them - needed to fortify the charcoal workers.

I am packed. Himself was of course all packed yesterday. We are trying to get away with just a carry-on and a personal item each. If it weren't for some small gifts, chocolate, coffee - and how I will manage to get my cookies into one or the other without crumbling I do not yet know.

Computer performing very nicely. Managed to write the long book review, get images off the camera card. Here's a link to a few of them:
This Week

I'll be absent until weekend after the upcoming one. Stay well. I'll look forward to catching up with all your events and happenings when I get back home.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 17 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i can see how picking a day to celebrate as a continent would be rather tricky

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 17 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good holiday Jam Lady. I find a 1l of slightly smaller ice cream pack ideal for storing biscuits.

Hope you finally get moved in Gregotyn, and you find somewhere to live, either there or a bungalow where you can settle comfortably.

Thanks for the history lesson Cassandra. As you see, I knew parts of it, and may once have known more, but a bit patchy. It took a long time to find Tas was separate, but I suppose they didn't explore all of it at once, and it is quite large. Your family can be regarded as among the earlier of (free) white Australians by the sound of it. It seems husbands ancestor was transported, but to the mainland I think, and decided to stay. I always thought he came back, but apparently not.

Finished my second oak leaf spoon yesterday, put the detail onto some other pieces, some in ink and some with pyrography, and gave most a first coat of oil. I think I might give them a second coat this morning and put them away this afternoon when it has pretty well dried.

In the afternoon, we did 20 charcoal bags from the charcoal in store and 10 log sacks. 10 of the charcoal bags have gone to an outlet this morning with son, and we need some for the weekend. The logs go to the same outlet next week with more charcoal bags. We didn't open the kiln as we didn't really want to empty it completely yesterday, so will probably do that Monday.

In the evening, the Scouts had invited us to their camp banquet. Tables set up in the hall with glasses and serviettes, and canapes. Three course meal, mainly cooked by one of the Scouters, but with help from the Scouts. They also foraged some blackberries from the woods and we had blackberry and apple crumble, so nice finish.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 17 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - some stayed, some went home. I can't imagine why any of the later arrivals returned, but can well understand why those who first arrived might have decided to do so. My lot (on all sides) found themselves in vastly improved conditions and opportunities, so even the convicts (of which there was a scant 2) made good. Sadly, not so good I got to inherit anything of worth, sigh.

I have been quietly laughing up my sleeve at so many commenters whose ignorance of their own history is only exceeded by their vast pride in something done by some distant ancestor. Such empty lives to have only that to cling to.

It has been trying hard to snow all day, and tomorrow is apparently not going to be much better, so I will happily stay indoors once again.

Great news about the young couple Gregotyn! Do make sure you go through a lawyer though if you enter into an agreement with them. I don't think I could stand another replay of the saga of the bungalow. And how you would cope is beyond me! So take care of yourself this time. They sound nice though, so as neighbours they will be good to have around.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 17 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie! All planned to do a load tonight and finish tomorrow. I have to take "stuff" out of the new shed to get to the back to start getting kindling boxes out to put into nets as the season seems to have started and kindling is starting to fly off the shelves. I counted 50ish already netted, but that won't last long, and took 4 out to take to the shop. The season is obviously under way!

The sale, Cassandra, if there is to be any sale is a while yet, I have so much to do before I can start living properly again, sorting the water out for no.1. But I will try to get it somewhere in a week and then talk to them to see if they are serious, so don't hold the breath, but it would be a bonus to me to get it off my hands. They have nowhere to sell as they are in rented accommodation across the road from me and I suspect it is extortion! I plan to get the horse shelter sorted out first. It would as I said divide into 2 sections, what do I want with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms anyway?

Have a good break Jam Lady, I am pleased that you are back with the computer behaving itself.

Well done the Scouts. I was there myself as boy at school, MR, progressing only to a few camps and a bit of backwoodsman stuff, fires, camping, cooking in the open and the inevitable knots, which have proved useful on several occasions and in day to day life too. Scouts also taught manners, sadly lacking in so many today, telephones seem to rule!

Knowing me I will be in in the morning

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 17 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I wasn't really aware of my ancestry until my father did some digging on his cousin's behalf. We come of a line of small farmers and smallholders, so nothing special, but nothing awful either. We have just wandered along not being anything special, but never at the bottom of the heap either. Quite comforting as there is nothing to live up to.

Yesterday was food bank day, and another busy one. I am glad to say that during the week, plenty more baked beans had materialised, so the shelf was quite full again. I was a bit worried we were going to have to limit the numbers we give out, but still OK at the moment.

Hope to hear from you from the house next Gregotyn. As Cassandra says, if you do decide to subdivide and sell half to the young couple, make sure you use a solicitor.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 17 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good idea if you can split the house and still live there with good neighbours to care for you and keep an eye out for you if you have a fall or something. I had planned that sort of arrangement when I moved here, but since the neighbours pay no attention to each other except in terms of gossip, it doesn't seem likely to pan out that way.

My ancestry was a bit of a mystery MR - crazy uncle archie once gave me a garbled version while he had me trapped in dad's workshop when I was about 12, but other than that, neither of my parents talked much about their backgrounds. Dad because he had been raised by his grandparents and had an unhappy childhood (mother sending him back to the grandparents when her new husband belted him, and him presumably assuming he was being further punished), and mum would rant on at length but mainly to complain about mistreatment real or imagined from various neighbouring relatives. My grandmother on that side had fallen out with her brothers and so forth. So it was more a matter of fitting Uncle Archie's stories with the history of Australia that had me puzzled as the relevant names did not occur in the relevant records (Archie, who is actually a cousin, associated us with every significant event in Australian history!). So unpicking the truth from the fantasy was a priority for me.

Today was doing the washing as it was sunny and breezy if a little chilly. And doing the bank which was interesting in itself as they have decided I may not use chemicals. I must do all cleaning (including glass!!) with hot water and a microfibre cloth. Today's first attempt was compromised by the fact I had no clean microfibre cloths (a situation now remedied) and so I ended up with water dripping and smeared everywhere. So I appropriated one of their teatowels (also now washed again) to dry up after myself. On Monday I will try again, using one of the two cloths wet, and the other dry (I have a coarse one and a fine one for glass) and see how that goes. But getting the glass clean and shiny will be problematic unless i can have more cloths to work with as once used for one surface, the dry one will leave smears on the glass. There is also the problem of what I put the hot water in, as well as how I dry the cloths I have used. But I will try both options and provide feedback on the process to my employers (not very positive feedback or a shopping list of materials needed).

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 17 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand the lesson in Australian history, Cassandra, but as you can imagine, it is hard to take in as I read it, when I have more time I will re-read and find the questions I need to know the answers to-or basically I'm a bit thick. I only did geography for 2 years, and subsequently never got depth to what we were taught in those 2 years. I was only ever going to be in farming to which physical geography, was all I wanted to know at the time, soils and rocks and so on, who and why didn't really matter then, got to pass the geology and soils exams. was all that counted. A shame as now I am more interested, I don't have the memory capacity. Sod's law rules!

Family wise my Fathers' lot were farmers in the Scottish Highlands and got the boot out of there; they went to Suffolk, on a tenanted farm-got the agreement to that from the 1700's, somewhere, and subsequently to Sheffield as steel operatives-all downhill really, father's side, but good musicians. My mothers lot were farmers, bakers and coal merchants all at the same time and there were lots of them, granny said she loaded coal carts as well as bread on the same delivery wagon and horses The family were based in Shrops./Worcs. borders and that's about it. My grandfather on mothers side ran an engineering company in Willenhall, by Wolverhampton, and manufactured those silly little destination holders for papers to be attached to railway wagons for South African and Rhodesian railways-keeping the company afloat in the big slump. He told me he used to guarantee the wages when things got tight! So not much special in my lot, but we have like you, MR, wandered on, not causing any trouble.

As you know I have "summer grazing" for horses on my ground, and I also have hay made. The current tenant and I are going to put up a field shelter to "part house" one of them in the winter. He has promised to reseed in the spring, as it is starting to cut up a bit now with both out, and it has been wet.
My plan is to put up 2 shelters, a small hay store and tack room. We are planning to make hay next year and I won't be selling it-well giving it away as usual. The horse lady says they will make it and use it-bonus. The chap is going to help repair the lean-to attached to the barn which has fallen in and too much for me to do alone. The previous owner built it, using a living tree at one end-what ever next?

I will be going to the house tomorrow morning, leaving the van for the last time, and its glorious view. It is called progress, I hope.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 17 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity you will be losing the view, but being in a house with good neighbours nearby must be a bonus I would think. Hopefully you can get the house comfortable quickly and get well settled.

I can see why you wanted to find out about your ancestors Cassandra. Must say that to hear talking about theirs and knowing nothing about ours made me feel a bit adrift. It is comforting to know that we have always been ordinary people who never did anything special, but just kept the land going.

Spent the day at a show yesterday. A bit too breezy for comfort, so we had to put the sides and back on the tent, but not bad. Got quite a lot of quiet enjoyment from watching the antics of the gun dogs on the opposite side of the valley. There were two retrieving courses which some of them failed completely, but with great tail wagging and abandon, and one obstacle course made up of different heights of straw bales. One dog tried to dig its way under one row, which was very amusing, and another forsook that course and went over the fence into the other one. It had to be retrieved under owners arm.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 17 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those dogs sound like they have a lot in common with Seb - lots of joy, not much brain, haha

Someone on that thread I have been discussing the date of Australia Day on suggested if I didn't like it I could go back where I came from. Could be tricky as this involves Denmark France, Germany, England, Scotland and Ireland. I guess I could be chopped in pieces and distributed on a pro-rata basis!

The day in the History Room was only broken by one group of visitors but they spent a lot of money (she was a lot tighter than him and had to be reminded we charged for photocopies when she got her camera out (despite the 'no photos' sign). So he and I settled down for a nice chat about the difficulties of recruiting and retaining recruits and managing their activities.

In between this I was having discussions about banning burqas, and destroying statues (both of which I oppose on the grounds that what is actually needed is an understanding of the issues rather than imposing ideas on others by violence or statute) and knitting my second sock (half way down the leg section).

Pizza for dinner so I had best pop it in the oven!

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 17 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Someone on that thread I have been discussing the date of Australia Day on suggested if I didn't like it I could go back where I came from. Could be tricky as this involves Denmark France, Germany, England, Scotland and Ireland. I guess I could be chopped in pieces and distributed on a pro-rata basis! "

such things are quite amusing, knowing ones ancestral origins does add something to ones responses in such matters

some might claim im a yorkshireman but in my case i know how gg grannie ewart was from galloway and got "cleared" in the earlyish 19th c ,she walked to west yorks and married a chartist blacksmith, gg grannie two was the only survivor of 6 kids and two parents from the tatie famine , aged 13 she had the family resouces in the form of a ticket over the water and ten bob which lasted last till she had walked from liverpool to finding a job minding chooks in west yorkshire (that line goes back to the kings of connaught and relates me to both a famous pirate called mary flaughaty [spp is fluid between erse and english] and oscar wilde), in the 1840s,gg grandad one jumped ship in the late 1840's in falmouth having come, probably from what is now afganistan, and was first recorded as "mr husband " (usman seems like a possible origin of the name ), the rhodda family ( matrilinar grannie's dads name ) is proper cornish (hah hah hah bronze age trading etc onwards ) mr "husbands" daughter married into the rhoddas.
this bit is a slight embarrassment as i have no love of the descendants of w the b's chums or their activities. in 1067ish mr thewlis, who was one of will the bastards knights in the invasion force, died ( probably of bad water but ....? ) on active service and his reward was given to his nephews who came over from norway to hull to assist in the harrying of the north and took their share in west yorkshire (oddly in and near the village i grew up in ) their families fell out in the next generation and a night raid ended one half of the family:roll: charming folk ,i wonder where i get it from.
there are other threads but i know only a bit about them, one becomes clear from about 1800 in the potteries and the others are more than vague

as far as ancestry goes it is probably best to remember that all humans have mitochondrial dna than can be traced back to an african "eve" and broader dna evidence that gives a "human " population that was at one point around 30 individuals.

im sorry if that is a bit garbled, it confuses me sometimes

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 17 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds very confusing. My father never got back much further than the 19th century, although we have evidence that an ancestor, possibly not direct, but of the same family, lived from 1628 to 1723, which made him 95. Enough for a special note to be made in the church register of the fact. The most exotic was my great grandfather who was born in St. Helena, of British parents was added.

Cassandra, if your ancestors were free immigrants in the early 19th century I would say that gives you more right than most to be called Australian. I noticed in a post you made on FB that about half of Aussies are 1st or 2nd generation. I rather suspect that a good part of the remainder are 3rd generations who's grandparents took the £10 passage from the UK.

Your people at the history room sound quite interesting Cassandra. It seems that most of these Confederate statues only date from about the 1920s -1950s as there was a bit of in upsurge in white supremacy during that period. By British standards, that is modern, but nothing wrong with the statues, just the reason for them being there.

Our second day at the show was pretty poor. Nobody seemed to be buying, although an number did say they would come back and didn't. Another dog did a spectacularly bad run, which was really amusing. It couldn't find the lure it was supposed to, so pushed through the fence into the next bit, then jumped over the fence into the car park. Owner whistling all the while of course. A lure was shot into the next bit for another dog, then the first one jumped over the car park fence, picked up the lure and returned it before the second job had a chance. It was finally retrieved and sent back to its owner.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 17 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the statues are indeed fairly recent, and sadly are further evidence of the failure of the revolution/civil war/ civil rights movement to achieve real change in the South. The main reason we were arguing was because while I wanted to discuss the concept that violent change is temporary change, or conversely, negative change, and that actually mediating the situation would achieve a better outcome (though god knows it would take time and the patience of a saint), the blokes I was talking to (both Canadians and rather further left than me) wanted to talk about why it was OK to destroy statues and did not constitute violence in their book. Anyway, I have blocked them both now as despite several increasingly firm requests they stick to my original point they were just bulldozing ahead with their views and I have better things to do than debate the future of the US deep South with a pair of Canadian communists. Especially when they want to resume the debate just as I am sitting down to dinner.

A sunny calm day permitted me to finish off the washing and do a bit of stuff around the yard and inspired sufficient activity that I managed to download some articles about the local picture theatre (back when we had one) to pad out the next window display.

DPack your family seems to have been involved in every major event in British History. I gave up on mine after a few generations back on the auld sod as it was becoming too expensive to gain access to the various online resources that would have been necessary to pursue the matter. I know where I come from and have unravelled the various family myths and that's good enough for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 279, 280, 281 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 280 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive