Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 17 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know of quite a few from various sides of the ancestors that went abroad from britain in the 19th C and early 20th C as well so there are some distant rellies in both the americas , africa and down under.

i find this rather amusing, a few years ago there was a photo of osama bin thingy's afgan second in command in the guardian.
the chap's bodyguard and myself could be twins , it was a bit odd to see " me " up a rocky mountain with a grin and an AK . if we had known we could have done a sly jobshare
when two different folk mentioned it and asked what i had been up to i had to say "it wasn’t me" but i'm not sure they entirely believed me
it does go to show that family resemblances can span many generations and genetic dilution but popping back as a long lost distant cousin is not on my to do list.
although it might be interesting it might be rather too interesting on several grounds not least that the chap had just met a predator drone and his bodyguard survived.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 17 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my relations went to Canada and Australia. I am still in touch with the Canadian side, as they only went about WWI. Great uncle went out to get settled, leaving wife and 2 daughters, then came back to fight WWI. Afterwards he went out with family and had another child, a son. This one has only recently died in his 90s, and I am in touch with his daughter. The farming side has come out in both one of her sons and mine, but oddly both wanting to do forestry. Her son couldn't manage it, so now climbs for the hydro-electric company. Mine stays on the ground.

Odd you should look like a terrorist Dpack. Could be a bit difficult in some ways.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 17 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all odd - we all have a twin somewhere!

I love the way family traits pass on also - I have a few habits such as pressing my finger nails with my thumb, and various arm movements that my niece also does. Since she last spent time with me when she was a baby she can not have learned them from me, but there you go. I recall my sister sent me some Christmas photos one year without writing on the back. I spent some considerable time working out it was my niece as it looked just like me - all very odd.

Today in the History Room I plucked up the courage to rummage in the file drawers that relate to our admin side - not terribly well organised I have to say - the folder with our mortgage documents also contains a planning program (drawn up in 2004, not yet executed), plans for various planning applications and all sorts of odd sods. I think I will sort them into individual folders, some of which can probably go into storage (eg those dating back to 1996). I also found our title deeds and commentary on our mortgage so now have a better understanding of that and how it all happened which is more than I have been able to extract from existing membership.

I found out the hard drive on the computer is full and it is impossible to save documents so printed out those I had drafted while doing all this and then deleted them.

I will take my hard drive in on Thursday and remove my own records (probably run a back up before that) and transfer documents onto it, then move the photos (which presumably are most of the storage problem) onto an external hard drive. Unfortunately the setup of the office computer is such that it is impossible to find out how to do a defrag or to work out the status of storage on the thing - god knows who set it up but they have also locked it down to prevent the sort of fiddling I had in mind. Never mind.

So it is all go - and tomorrow I will head to Hobart for an ultrasound (nothing to be alarmed about, probably a lipoma - I have turned into a labrador in my old age.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 17 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved! And a pleasure to sleep in a double bed which was a reject from the neighbours and so, so, comfortable, that I fail to understand why they got rid of it! My caravan single bed had bias to the right and I almost fell out a few times, now gone to the skies.

Now then dpack we have something in common. The name Ewart is my middle name, after my father-Ewart Gregory from Ecclesfield, just outside Sheffield. The Ewart name was given to him in relation to Ewart Gladstone, who in turn was named after a Scottish general from the Crimean War. My best friend at school was Arthur Ewart, direct line to that General He still goes to Scotland to visit relatives when he comes over to the UK! He now lives in Brisbane, but been in Australia for about 40 years as a doctor. Anyway dpack I am not going to give you my whereabouts, in case you feel the need to eliminate me as part of family tradition, in a night raid! Highly unlikely we are related, and I haven't gone into my family tree in any depth!

I have a lot to do at the house to get it into shape for proper living, but at least I am on my own with no one going through my stuff-his hobby it seems; I set enough traps-quite annoying but when the devil drives, you take it and say 'one day' to yourself!
The electrics work, and as I don't have tv there is no distraction from doing things to make life better. You have got it-radio2 and radio4 are my listening whilst "doing" anything. Chopped wood this morning at work for the first time for a few months and the arm is holding out. I had a problem with the right arm, following me holding a sheep and unravelling electric cable from said sheep, with the now ex friend, who released it before I did and sheep dutifully wrenched the arm, about 10 years ago and still it hurts!

First job tonight is to get the bedroom into a shape where I can walk round stuff as opposed to climbing over stuff!

Think if you want to come back from Australia, Cassandra, I would choose a Common Market , country, and come over to visit us!

I love watching gun dogs make a mess of things MR, especially Spaniels because they love life so much they are just happy and often oblivious to where they are and what they are supposed to be doing-I had a sheep dog who was much more at home with the shooting fraternity than sheep, and the Labrador I had was a wonderful pig dog, no fear of them, but scared witless with a gun bang! The people I go to see in Bridgnorth have a wonderful Springer who works the ground when on a walk with my friend; he says she always points when a bird gets up and when it doesn't fall out of the sky I guess she thinks my friend has a silencer fitted and he is a bad shot!

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 17 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was the thewlis side of the family, i am much fluffier.

the only ewart i have met was kieth ewart who owned ewart television studios back in the 1980's. we couldny find any direct link between us. i get the impression they were a fairly big and diverse clan and many of them left scotland after the rising as well as during the 19th c so they pop up globally.

the main tartans that seem to be associated with them are the same as the stewart ones but i have seen a "ewart dancing tartan" in a mindbending combo of yellow and pale blue. not even a japanese schoolgirl could wear it with causing the odd snigger

good news about the move

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 17 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have finally moved Gregotyn. Now to get yourself settled and comfortable, although it seems you have the bed situation well sorted.

I see lots of characteristics of my father in my son. Not too surprising in some ways, but they are odd things that I don't think son would have been aware of, so think it must be genetic. I am said to sound just like my mother did on the phone, which isn't too surprising as we have the same shaped face. Husbands cousin is said to look very much like him, but I can't tell as I have never met the cousin, who is in Aus.

Had a busy day yesterday with charcoal. We dug out the kiln, sieved the charcoal and did 53 bags. 27 of them are loaded in the van and are to be delivered this morning along with 10 log sacks. It's all go! Yesterday evening we had a coppice group committee meeting, so had to rouse myself enough to take the minutes. Luckily a short meeting, so we got finished by about 9pm.

cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 17 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregotyn, good news! Nothing like a comfy bed with a level surface. That alone will improve a night's sleep as I discovered when pitching a tent on a small slope once!

My trip to town was slow as it was raining and the back roads were greasy. I stopped a few times to let other speedsters past, as I preferred to go slow and arrive alive. The ultrasound had the expected result so nothing to be alarmed about (though the technician was alarmed as he did not listen to what I said. He asked when I first noticed the lump and I told him a couple of weeks. He then translated that to mean the lump had suddenly appeared two weeks ago - silly man. I never pay attention to my body unless it is doing something unexpected, it could have been there for months for all I know. But I will go see the doctor for the formal results anyway.

I did some window shopping for lawn mowers - did you know you can get cordless ones! How amazing. I found one that Ron likes (I took photos and talked to him about it this afternoon) and we will add it to our grant application and see how we go. If not it is only $399.00 so I expect our budget can run to that. It is only a small patch of grass without any humps and bumps so a battery job should not be over-stretched. And it comes with a five year warranty as well.

I did the usual shop and returned in time to walk the dog a couple of times, watch an hour and half of commercial news to catch the two minute coverage of our mayor's latest capers and headed into the bank to clean that. Now all I have to do is respond to a FB post that requires thought and a keyboard to provide an adequate response (the difference between planning and political will), and heat something up for dinner.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 17 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it was confirmed that the lump was nothing to worry about Cassandra. Best to get things checked properly.

It has been wet here for several days, and going down the garden I found that 2 courgettes had become small marrows. The greenhouse is looking bad as the courgette seems to have mildew on the leaves and the squash is starting. Must remove some leaves I think. Only other thing I can think of is some sulphur. I also need to dig the all the early potatoes and lift the onions, so as I will have some time today I think I will do that.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 17 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a happy day interfering at the History Room today. I took in my desktop computer and started to transfer files from the office one. Mine has an XP operating system, but the opportunity exists to upgrade it to Windows 6 - what do you think Dpack? I rather like XP but if 6 has some positive aspects that are missing on it, I will happily upgrade the machine.

The folder I moved was huge - images, Excel files, and goodness knows how many documents. And of course, totally disorganised. But it is the one Steph works with, so I am reluctant to reorganise it without discussion. Perhaps once the whole lot is on the same computer I can see what is duplicated elsewhere. I have suggested we move the images to an external hard drive for a start, so will see what the reaction is to that. Not all the relevant software is on my computer either, so some of the docs may be difficult to open till I get in there on Sunday and sort out some more transfers. Still, it's a start.

I am presently downloading those same images onto this computer (I hope they fit!!) so that I can have a go at developing a model for storage that Steph may be able to work with. Hard as we all have different logic processes so what works for me may not work for her. None of the other volunteers is technically literate so they avoid the computer like the plague, so what works for Steph and I should be fine with everyone else, haha.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 17 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the good wishes on the completion of the move; I on the other hand can't find anything, but there we go-what's new!
The weekend is to be taken up with the foundations of a pair of field shelters, tack room and hay store for the 2 horses I have presently grazing, in rotation with their normal home. As they are tenants they wouldn't get permission to put up a shelter from their land lord, for me it is an added bonus-as the shelter is mine, but they are providing the posts and rails for the shelter-I already have the tins for the roof. And the good thing is they are also have the digger for the foundation work to be done. It all happens on Sunday and Monday. They are interested in buying the place-we will talk, but somehow I don't want to leave yet till I have sorted my mess and got rid of a lot of rubbish-most of which was "it'll come in one day" stuff; it is being downgraded to, "I'll never use this". To follow with "it's out", (hopefully).....then again.......!

I guess I am lucky not to be related to the Ewart's, dpack, as pale blue and yellow are not my colours-anymore than dancing is my exercise! I will tell friend in Aus., that there is a Keith Ewart who did TV studios in the 80's.

Glad you are getting the winter fuel sorted for those who are sensible and buy early for Christmas, MR, as well as the charcoal; much too cold for bbq's in this part of the world, for cooking and eating outside?

I too am a slow coach when the roads are wet, Cassandra. Glad the lump is non-alarming. I am in a 'heat it up for dinner' situation as I can find the Microwave but not much else so it is another cauliflower cheese tonight, last night being camembert cheese on bread. I will do a jacket potato with it so not too bad, but hardly balanced, pud will be an apple, again!

I must admit I envy all of you who know about computers, and whether to change to this or that, I simply operate what they give me and I hope they don't change anything soon. I seem to be getting used to how this one works, and would never contemplate buying one, in case, if I accidentally mastered it, I would never come off it-not a good move with 5 acres to play with, and a lot of fencing to play with-read repair! I also have a few trees to fell-not trees, but weeds, as they are plants, but growing in the wrong place. My other "Plan" is to cut and sell logs at the farm gate. My local shop sells around 10 "long x 4-5" diameter logs in a net for £4.89p which I find extortion. I aim to do roadside bags for £2.50p. each or 5 for £10, but as yet I have to source bags at the right price. Guess I may find my introduction to e-bay coming soon. The kindling I supply to the shop sources the nets for that so no problem, but the prices this year have gone through the roof for those, and we will be having a price rise to accommodate that, with my price static-no jam this winter-have to stick to treacle!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 17 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my nets from Bag Supplies Gregotyn, but if you can brave the internet, there are several suppliers for them. We do about 12 logs to a net, but ours are 10", so they fill the net pretty well. We wholesale those for £3.50, and rarely sell them retail, but would be about £6. You may think that extortionate, but reasonable price with the cost of timber these days. Don't underprice yourself as it doesn't do anyone any good, either you or the competition.

Hope you get the stable/store base sorted this weekend and look forward to hearing about progress.

Cassandra, I have gone onto Windows 10, and have now got used to it. Most of the bugs seem to have been sorted out, and it is compatible with security software. You seem to have been pretty busy sorting the computer out.

I seemed to have a fairly bitty day yesterday. Didn't go up to the woods, but had a few things to sort out for the business, some minutes to write and odd jobs to do. I pulled a few onions that were ready, and dug the rest of the potatoes from one bed as the tops had gone over. Not a great yield, but at least they grew reasonably.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 17 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news gregotyn, now you can act positively

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 17 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first positive thing for me, gz, is to start by throwing away "Stuff"! I am a known hoarder-folks always ask for things they want from me, they know I will have "it" in stock so to speak. I suppose as a child I had very little and I had to save for what I wanted from pocket money, my father died young and we had to draw the horns in to make sure we could get uniforms for school and the like. I did save for a model train and I also had dinky toys, but a slow process-I still have them, too precious to give to friend's grand children yet! If fact I think I will be in a home for the insane before I let them go!

Thank you MR for the tip about the bags. The buyer supplies the kindling nets, they are quite small. If you imagine a bag which you get to put loose fruit or vegetables in from a super market-pull off a roll or separate from the pack my nets are able to take 5 of those full of sticks no more. I net them down a chute. The reason we have small nets is to cater for the lol-little old lady-who has to carry them home, and also why we keep the price fairly low. I don't do this for the income more as a service to the local shop whose supplier is so expensive that lol's would struggle to buy them in the first place. The logs I will hopefully sell at the farm gate, are for a friend who is down on his luck and can't afford to do a lot money wise so he I am helping out and will be much cheaper, so that they sell and he gets some money back for his work. He thought a sack of logs would fetch around £1.50-I had to enlighten him. Thank you for your concern, and you are right-too low price wise and you do no one a favour-becoming a busy fool! I won't be delivering the logs, farm gate sales only.

I am off to work in the morning to get the timbers I want for the shelters and store. The man with the digger is coming on Sunday and Monday to prepare the site and bring the round posts in larch for the corners and intermediates He has cut them and it appears that they have come from tall trees so they are matching and around 15inches in diameter, 16ft long. We will set them in concrete about 3ft6" deep once the site is ready and stoned for the floor. I thought that stone would not be good for horses, but I am wrong as you cover them in rubber matting and the wet drains through leaving the bedding- shavings-fairly dry, I am told. I already have a lot of tin sheeting, so they will do the roof. If the couple move on, then I have a useful building as a workshop! but is an asset to the place in any event. I don't want the folks to go but they are young.... The girl works in an office but the lad, is local and has good references. He drives a timber harvesting machine and I'm told good at it. I have to get some treatment for the posts-not sure what, but I suspect it won't be cheap! has to be environment friendly stuff.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 17 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disaster following yesterday when I left here. I couldn't find my wallet containing all sorts. I thought I had it here in the library went to the local shop and there it wasn't searched everywhere is the house, but clearly not where the absent wallet is hiding. I checked with Sainbury's this am too-in case I lost it there as that was the last place I used it

I went to work this am and have brought home a few pallets on the pick-up, for home and taken the truck back to work.

Hay/haylage is in progress at home by a friend whose wife seems addicted to keeping sheep and horses. It will be hay if it will make, but wrapped as haylage if it looks like 'weather' is coming; suited to horses/sheep I am told. My ground has had no fertilizers for the last 20 years just horse manure, so I don't claim organic status-far too expensive to think of going that route-but it is for all purposes non chemical. The only place I have sprayed is the weeds around front the house.

Are Bag Supplies an internet company or a place where you go to fetch the bags from MR? We are having difficulty locating the same size as before for our kindling. Measuring nets is not an easy task, they stretch so much in all directions and I am after a fixed size for a fixed amount-well the same as last time but the computer operator, Wife of the shop man, who bought them has its memory wiped, not by the operator, after a certain length of time and that was one we didn't want to lose.
I would be interested to know what size bag you order for your logs-a sample would be good, if possible? I am only going to want about 50 total this year I expect. If it takes off then I may have to get more logs let alone sacks!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 17 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from Colorado yesterday evening.

I went on a mushroom foray and the tasting of elegant mushroom tidbits prepared by local restaurants.

Off-roading across Black Bear Pass trail (elevation 12,850 feet = 3,917 meters) where there were room-size patches of snow still remaining. There were still numerous alpine flowers in bloom, and my son-in-law was exceedingly agreeable about stopping so I could photograph - even had a small folding step-stool to assist me in clambering back into his vehicle.

Attended a solar eclipse event at the local library (25 miles form where we were staying at Purgatory Mountain Resort). 80% totality.

Drove up above the lodge on clear night and saw a sky strewn with stars so thickly I could not pick out the constellations.

Did we have a good time? You betcha!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 281 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive