Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 281, 282, 283 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 17 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from our daughter. They completed the two day drive from Colorado to home in Willis, Texas near Houston yesterday. So far, they're O.K. Over 12 inches of rain in 24 hours, lots more coming. Lake is rising, even with water releases. Their daughter and grandson have come to hunker down with them - her place has previously flooded knee deep, and roads are currently flooded.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 17 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from daughter. They're moving what they can upstairs, onto counters, etc. Then evacuating three households 2 hours away in a 5 car convoy - 5 adults, a 3-year old, three cats and a dog. They know best but I'm very worried about what they may come across with flooded roads.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 17 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Jam Lord was just looking at a Texas Highway Dept regularly updated road conditions map. We think it is dubious they will be able to get to where they intend to go.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 17 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a busy little lot you have all been in the last few days!

Gregotyn, make sure you have cancelled all your cards and so forth - I know it's a pest, but better than having your account drained and you not having done so.

JL, I have to say I am baffled that your daughter would even be attempting to drive into Texas at the present moment - the forecasts were pretty clear about the problems, and it doesn't take much imagination to realise that rain forecast in feet rather than inches is not going to have a positive effect on roads. I am watching the rescue efforts and recalling those saying they were staying put, and wondering if they even think about the risks that their rescuers are obliged to take simply because of their own stubborn-ness and lack of imagination!

We have had a few chilly days here, and today is only different in that the sun is out. The works on the Hot Water seem to have resolved the freezing pipe situation too, which is a huge relief. Since i now know that the hot water to the laundry is not going through a regulator, and the pipes that froze were going through one, I at least have some insight now into why I had that liquid supply in the middle of frozen pipes.

The complexities of the History Room computer continue to fall, and I now have the printer talking to the new computer so it is good to go as I continue to track down actual documents buried in random files on the old one. And those documents that have been transferred are now saved to the slightly more modern software (word 97, as opposed to wps) on the new computer.

My new laptop has Windows 10 on it MR - but I have not yet transferred to that one as the old one still seems to be staggering along. Once I get onto that laptop I also have new Office software to upload which will mean I have no idea what I am doing on the computer for a while. But I hope to defer the day until it is essential. Meanwhile I am running continuous backup while on line.

Doing the washing today so hopefully will have something dry to wear tomorrow.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 17 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter and son-in-law were on vacation in Colorado where we joined them for a week. Their daughter who is a single mother with 3 year old son lives not far from their home in Willis. Another daughter and her partner live in a casita on the Willis site.

Just what would you have had them do, Cassandra. Where would you have had them go?

She's my child. These are my granddaughters and great-grandson. I'm feeling frantic about them and your comments are harsh, to say the least.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 17 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cassandra misunderstood what the situation was Jam Lady, as I had to read it twice to understand they were going home. If they hadn't had a daughter and grandchild there, it certainly would have been more sensible to stay away from home a bit longer. A very difficult situation for them and you, and hope they are all safe and find somewhere suitable to go. I suspect that people living on high ground in the area are going to end up with rather a lot of lodgers until things calm down. A couple of years ago we were travelling when there were floods about, and we only just got through, so understand how frightening it is, even though ours were only minor ones to what your family are facing.

Your SIL sounds very thoughtful, and sounds as if you had a really good time.

Gregotyn, I hope you find your wallet safe, but as Cassandra says, make sure all your cards providers are informed in case of someone trying to use them. I will measure a net over the next couple of days and send you one if you like. I will also send you any other information I find about bag suppliers.

Cassandra, glad your water is now working and that you are getting somewhere with the computer. I didn't have too much trouble with Windows 10, although I do find some of the minor things that have moved a little annoying. Still, I have found them and I am what I would call only semi-computer literate.

We have been away at a show the last two days. By our standards it was hot; about 25 deg C and we were in a fairly sunny area, but did at least have a gazebo to work under. Lovely show; the Oak Fair at Stock Gaylard in Dorset. We didn't get to look round too much as we were quite busy, but it is a real craftsmen's show. Mainly wood, from old and modern larger machinery, through various 'woody' crafts. To give an example, one side of us we had a stump grinder company, and the other a hurdle maker. We went as part of our coppice group and demonstrated our little retort kiln and pole lathe turning. Sold quite a lot of things, including two rather nice leather bracelets that son had made and reasonable amount of charcoal. We have had several enquiries about selling larger amounts too, but not sure if we will go for that, as one of them would be selling it all over the country. Still, it means that it would be British rather than imported charcoal, which is always a good thing.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 17 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, where these 5 adults and young child were in Willis Texas, has gotten over 48 inches / more than 122 centimeters of rain. Since late last night water is being released from the lake at more than 73,000 cfs (cubic feet per second) probably more in an attempt to save the dam than prevent flooding.

Still think they should have remained in place Cassandra?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 17 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they stay safe Jam Lady. Have they moved, and have they reached high ground?

What with tornados, hurricanes and floods, some parts of the US don't seem very safe to live in. Strangely I made Cassandras acquaintance on the RC forum when she was planting British plants to make a hedge as a fire break at the end of her property as a fire break for bush fires. I mean, we get weather in the UK, but at least it is usually manageable.

Had a quiet day yesterday as we were both tired out after the weekend. Our air bed has a habit of going down in the night a bit, which doesn't help sleep a lot, and husband started to get cramp in his legs badly on Saturday night. Think it was probably because we got so hot that even drinking lots of water, he was a bit dehydrated. One of our coppice group took me out on Friday night to get fish and chips, but the local shop was shut, so we had to drive quite a way to get to the next one, and got a little lost coming back, so didn't get our dinner until late. The following day another member cooked dinner for us including some steak from her own smallholding, which was lovely.

A nice Downsizery touch; the pigs have been let out into the New Forest for pannage, which is feeding themselves on nuts, roots or anything else they find. We saw some, also donkeys, ponies and cows, then they had a herd of fallow deer at the estate we were camped on. Very ornamental, but can be a complete pest as they will go through a coppice or plantation in a night and eat everything.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 17 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to get pernickety JL - As MR said, I had no idea she has family there. But if that had not been the case I would stand by my words. Either that, or cancel the holiday and get home early given the forecast. Property is not worth risking your life for.

If I tell you the high spot of my day at the History Room was chasing a kamikaze sparrow around the cavernous interior it will let you know how irritatingly unproductive it was - the screen on the old computer seems to have decided not to work and I have no idea why as all its cables are still connected and it was working fine on Sunday. So I gave up and sat in the sun till the sun went away when I moved beside the wood burner, then bac to the sun, then back to the wood heater and so forth.

Only to come home and find the neighbour's daughter walking her dog up the lane off leash despite numerous reminders she must have her on the leash. And then having told her off, turned my back for two seconds only to have her drop the leash and carry on as before. I would not mind if, as she assures me, the dog does not need a leash, but since the dog regularly sidetracks onto my property given the slightest motivation (one of my cats, for example), it does indeed need to be on a leash!

Grump.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 17 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I hope all is well with the family in and hopefully out of Texas by now, Jam, Lady. They will keep you informed no doubt, but a worrying time we are thinking of you and them.

I am convinced that the sparrow, was not in the history room by choice, Cassandra, depending on the temperature outside of course!
If that is its highlight I dread to think what would be worse for such a creature-mind in bad weather then inside the history room is possibly the best choice for a workout!
Does the neighbour's dog have a court order to have to be on the lead?

Now that is true MR, we do get "weather" in the UK but usually not too extreme. My mother used to say that what happens in America comes here 3 weeks later thinned down a bit, but she was referring to New York. My guess is if that happens now, it will hit Southern Europe/North Africa, as Texas is so much further south than the UK. But who knows?
The wallet is a goner MR, Cancelled the cards and have to apply for a driving licence, but as the significant birthday in is imminent, I will wait till then if I can. I would appreciate a log sack MR, and its ordered size, and even where from, if I find it is suitable for the stock of logs that I have already. I have left the sack situation to the shop I supply for the kindling. The log selling is, however, my enterprise to do a friend a favour as he is not too hot on enterprise, and would starve before he would have the initiative to sell his excess stock. I have 4 dumpy bags to sell and think that it is better to sell them from the farm gate rather than via the shop.
Dorset is such a lovely county, MR, I have never heard of Stock Gaylard; I used to visit friends in Shaftesbury, who have a small holding just outside, and had a girlfriend in Sturminister Newton for a while. I would go for selling more charcoal if you can MR, but you would have to be sure of the quantity of raw material available-I could send a few lorry loads down, but expect that would be uneconomic! Another retort kiln on order? It was something I thought about a few years ago now as the ground I have is surrounded by large trees and I haven't done my hedges for a long time and prunings would give me a big yield of timber alone. I have 2 massive oaks which are really at the end of their lives one has 14ft of useable timber before the first huge branches start, but they are in the way of tractors, and hay making now, also I have 2 biggish ash trees and a few others in the wrong places. I am having to trim the Spruce I planted 20 years ago, they have grown out of their pens! Not surprising as they are planted in 3 rows of 5 ft. apart and offset to give me a wind break, being so close they have gone up rather than having 'fat butts.. If felled they would only make fencing posts, which right now I could do with, for a few roof trusses I need for a horse winter shelter for my grazing tenants. I plan a double shelter, a small tack room and a sensible hay store. They have the uprights 16ft. 4 ft. in the ground. I need to find the roof cross members-about 30 ft. long!
I feel I am going to be too busy at home to go to work, but then I think of the income and will find time from somewhere!!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 17 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who don't stick to the sensible rules are a pain Cassandra. The number of people we get in the woods that can't tell the difference between a public bridleway (for riding horses and bicycles) and public footpath (for pedestrians only) is amazing. Added to that we use one of the public footpaths for access to parts of the wood for vehicles including tractors, as we are entitled to do being the landowners, and so going speeding down a woodland path can result in a nasty collision....

Please let us know when you hear from your family Jam Lady. Would like to know they have found somewhere safe.

Gregotyn, I will get the log sack tomorrow when I go to the woods. I have an appointment with a lot of them and a pile of firewood to bag. Please PM me your new address too, so I can send it to you. Sorry to hear your wallet is really gone, but you have done all you can for personal security by cancelling cards etc.

Stock Gaylard isn't far from where you were in Dorset Gregotyn. We went to Sturminster Newton to find fish and chips, but the shop was closed, and Shaftsbury was the next nearest from there. Took a long time, and the driver got slightly mislaid on the way back and had to consult a map, even though he is supposed to know the area.

Your oaks should be millable to produce some nice planks. Oak is a reasonable price, so might be worth looking into. I would leave the ash trees at the moment if you can, as with Chelara ash die back, it is as well to wait and see if they are immune, in which case, they are needed for new seed.

I spent part of yesterday trying to translate an article about a place in France, who's name I couldn't read, for our coppice group newsletter, and writing another newsletter. The person that wrote the article is dyslexic, has awful writing and has never mastered a keyboard, but at least he does give me articles. This was worse than normal as written at the show the other day on his knee.

Also tried a stuffed marrow for dinner as one of our courgettes had got very much too enthusiastic. Didn't work too well, so cut it into rings and finished it in a pan on the hob. Quite nice, and better than the marrow I used to get as a child. Not sure if marrow and courgette are identical, but the courgette seemed a lot firmer.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 17 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very kind of you to ask, Mistress Rose.

Daughter's home flooded 6 inches deep. Water is down but they will have to rip out the flooring they just put in themselves about a year ago because there is water underneath the boards so it will not dry out. Don't know about their daughter with a young son. It is clear that the house did flood. A neighbor of hers flooded 3 feet deep but I don't know if the neighbor is up or down the street.

A friend of a friend of my daughter's is a real estate agent who had a house for rent in The Woodlands, which was not badly inundated. So that's where daughter and son-in-law are. Their daughter and grandson have found an apartment to rent.

I foraged a nice chicken of the woods mushroom yesterday, about 12 inches across.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 17 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad they are safe and have found somewhere to stay for now. Hope they get sorted out quickly and they and your granddaughter and son are able to go back soon. Can they get insurance for flood damage or do they have to pay for it all themselves?

Had some more of the marrow last night. The rest is in the freezer. Apart from the marrow, had potatoes and runner and French beans mixed from the garden. All the other stuff was bought sadly, but at least some contribution from home grown.

That looks like a nice meal there Jam Lady.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 17 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of very frustrating days - firstly the Electric company arrived to trim the neighbours' trees and once again parked over my entrance and expressed surprise I might object to them doing so without asking permission or checking if I needed my car out. In doing so they drove across the front edge of my yard, breaking up and displacing the leading edge of my front path and rendering my entry point unsafe. Then they wandered off leaving piles of branches along the side of the road (and on private property further up the street) without any effort to provide temporary safety fencing.

I headed into town to clean the bank and found they had dropped off the supplies I had asked for, but that the bucket they provide was a mop bucket - not the small, light-weight object I had requested. The guy who did it was supposed to phone me and find out what I wanted removed (like 10xfourlitre bottles of redundant chemicals) and so I now have the mop bucket in the back of the ute.

To console myself I decided to order a pizza from the local pub as they have good counter meals and I assumed their pizzas would also be good. Big mistake. I paid $25.00 for a 'seafood pizza' - a not insubstantial sum. The pizza was inches deep in cheese - and not mozzarella either. The prawns were clearly defrosted and imported frome god knows where, rubbery and flavourless. In addition to these, there was a light sprinkle of some unidentifiable tiny tinned shellfish (possibly clam, certainly not mussel or oyster). The bottom of the box was covered in the excess cheese from someone else's pizza and when I drew attention to this they just laughed it off and seemed to consider my request for a napkin to wipe it was unusual.

And today Council arrived at the History Room to work out where to place the wool press we have acquired. I rejected their first idea, pointing out that placing a 5 metre object beside a 3 metre building was an open invitation to climb onto the roof, that the slab against the side of the wall would cause rising damp and present difficulties in terms of installing additional roof plumbing etc. So they decided from there on that I was invisible and inaudible which was unfortunate as I was neither, as they discovered. It will now be placed a metre from the wall - still too close in my estimation, at least from security perspectives, but better. And they will provide a 100mm conduit underground to allow us to installed further roof plumbing when and if we get our grant.

So I have been taking out my bad mood online and will spend my evening drafting complaints to various organisations. Not to mention demands for compensation!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 17 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Address as before, MR, but I will pm you later, thank you. Now done!

Last edited by gregotyn on Thu Aug 31, 17 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 281, 282, 283 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 282 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive