Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fence query and a problem
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

The cynical me wonders if she asked various people for a price and went for the cheapest.

Yeh, that or they could start tomorrow.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is the local "go to" handyman. Booking several weeks ahead. I have used him for painting before, he was fine, neat and tidy.

The job was to take 2 days, but he had to do it on his own, and it was gutty and hot work over 3 days and then some. No excuse though.

£1200, plus 2 skips at £250.00.

Will work out the materials cost. I think it was cheap price for a good job, but will work out expensive for what has been done and how long it will last.

Shame, my neighbours are nice people, but have been talked round apparently.

sg

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last two posts (ED before yours ) are very relevant.

the post sizes are too small,if you have winds round your way chances are you will be getting a new fence.

the expansion/shrinkage/warping thing will be a wait and see but splitting and/or gaps are highly probable.

clouts last a good while but are usually too short for feather edge especially if not fully driven.

i dought you will get much joy with the cost of fixing path and gravel but try.

ruin the geezer's reputation with the locals is probably the best compensation.

i hate cowboys (unless im getting paid to rip it out and do it properly)

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no excuse for a poor job,if he was short handed he should have postponed, most clients prefer a reschedule to a mess.

he might be a good painter but he aint a good fencer ,if he was he would not have done it like that .

it seems harsh but for his sake as well as the clients he should not have done it like that. if he underquoted for a proper job he should have done one anyway and taken the hit of a few hundred quid rather than the hit to his reputation.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumbling goat wrote:
He is the local "go to" handyman. Booking several weeks ahead. I have used him for painting before, he was fine, neat and tidy.

The job was to take 2 days, but he had to do it on his own, and it was gutty and hot work over 3 days and then some. No excuse though.

£1200, plus 2 skips at £250.00.

Will work out the materials cost. I think it was cheap price for a good job, but will work out expensive for what has been done and how long it will last.

Shame, my neighbours are nice people, but have been talked round apparently.

sg

I've had a similar fence done. I posted on here about it, including various prices, details and there was feedback from people. If you can find the thread, it might be a helpful comparison. I can't!

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick - IIRC your post was for slotted concrete posts.
SG - I rarely do arris rail fencing from scratch, but from the few times I've priced it IIRC it is a bit more expensive per metre than slotted posts. Going on what I would charge for 16m of slotted, £1200 is in about the right region for a proper arris rail job. Skip price is about right too.
Re "it was gutty and hot work" - that is the nature of fencing and why you pay somebody else to do it - as you said tho no excuse for a shoddy job.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
Nick - IIRC your post was for slotted concrete posts.
SG - I rarely do arris rail fencing from scratch, but from the few times I've priced it IIRC it is a bit more expensive per metre than slotted posts. Going on what I would charge for 16m of slotted, £1200 is in about the right region for a proper arris rail job. Skip price is about right too.
Re "it was gutty and hot work" - that is the nature of fencing and why you pay somebody else to do it - as you said tho no excuse for a shoddy job.

Honestly, I don't remember. It's at the rental house, and tho we chose a local guy, with the higher price, I've never even seen the job.

But, at least you remember it, so I'm not going mad.

ETA: AHA!

https://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=1458049&highlight=#1458049

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only question-"Did the fencer have a pistol in his holster and with a rifle tucked in the saddle?"
I ran a fencing company for my inlaws a long time ago and for a feather edge fence we would only have used 4inch square posts. and arris rails, and because of the height it would have probably gone up to 5 inch square a bit of over kill but would want to be safe!

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 16 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the thoughts and comments, shows me I am not being Mr Picky from Pickysville.

Caught up with neighbour this evening.

He has straightened up the wonky post. He says the jaunty angle horizontal rails are straight/level, and she has said that she has put a level on them and they are not.

Long story short, she has said there will be a discount on price and she will cover the wonky rails with trellis.

I have explained about the problems with screwing through both sides of one slat, expansion and shrinkage not allowed for, and suggested that she take photos weekly to show the splitting and warping developing. She has already seen problems on her side. I have gaps appearing on my side already.

Not a lot more I can do. Sad really.

Thanks for all the views and opinions.

sg

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 16 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A final note.

The "fencer" has said the fence will last 10 years. Probably longer than me.

He has also had health issues, apparently.

It's only a shit fence. At the end of the day. Just a shiftily put up fence.

I am very grateful for the support here, thank you. Thank you all very much.

x

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 16 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A final note.

The "fencer" has said the fence will last 10 years. Probably longer than me.

He has also had health issues, apparently.

It's only a shit fence. At the end of the day. Just a shiftily put up fence.

I am very grateful for the support here, thank you. Thank you all very much.

x

love154

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 16 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi take a look at a video i made this is how it should be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crjw_-gdLIc

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 16 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting video on "how it should be done".

If you had put that up my neighbour would not have been happy. She had asked for and agreed on feather edge on rails, different process and product to what you showed.

Of interest to me was the apparent lack of PPE used by either of you. I did not see use of eye protection or ear defenders when grinding the, what looked like, concrete gravel boards.

But a useful advert if you can put up with the jerkiness of time lapse.

I can't.

sg

love154

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but we try not to install feather edge fence as the bays are far to long. the close board fence with concrete fence posts will out live that feather edge fence by years. 75mm x 75mm wood fence posts would not even put them on any fence (waste of time). Also did have safety glasses on they was on all day. no need for ear protection Im deaf in both ears

furbelows22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 17 6:27 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

love154 wrote:
Hi take a look at a video i made this is how it should be done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crjw_-gdLIc

This is really nice! fences make a lot of difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive