Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 17 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 degrees is luxury Cassandra, I have no heat and quite happy that way, but it is still September, plenty of time for doing hot water bottles and buying a blanket for heating the bed. In practise I don't know where the hot water bottles are, or my gas stoves, so all my food is micro waved or cold. But in case I have got it wrong is that 14 degrees "C" or "F"? If things get bad I will move into my caravan-central heating gas/electric- and a smaller area to heat!
I went to the couple across the road last evening for a meal and it was really good-roast chicken with lots of veg. I have forgotten what the pudding was, but I drank a lot of a very good red wine and arrived home about 10 pm, slightly the worse for it. Primarily I don't drink to any degree now as I once had a problem and I drank to the point where it had no effect, post divorce. I was in the pub till closing time and getting up to go to work for an 0500 start; I saw the light and stopped drinking, and saved a lot of money. Good job I was not stopped on my way to work then as I would have been well over the limit to drive even after 5 hours sleep.
I have discovered that their landlord is a relative of the lad and is allowing them to put a horse shelter up at the place they live so that will be much better for them, hurrah, but no shed for me boo! They still want the grazing in the summer, so that is a bit of a relief. When the summer comes I will add another shed to my area and then have a proper workshop. Any "things" I make now is done outside so not much will be done over winter. I have enough to do to get the house in order, but there is more to life than decorating and cleaning gutters-even if both need doing!-OK I'll do the gutters when I get home! Find the ladder!!

Thank you MR, for the offer of the nets, yes please, whatever the cost is no problem, no need to PM, I need them, as a further 49 nets is enough to deal with my needs this year. I will simply add it on to the log price and hope for the best! But if they don't take off then I will have lost the price of 50 nets and not the 1000 minimum order!
VAT is a pain but then the roads/health service would be worse than they are now without it and any other tax may be even more punitive.
The net buyer, my customer, didn't get to his shop this am-lucky he has very good staff, but they are not in a position to say yes or no to bags so I will have to wait another day so, before our paths cross to get an ok. The sample bag will be sent so that the maker can assess it and price it for us. Thank you for all your help in this process MR, Bag Supplies owe you, as do I!
I have sent a message to FC Wales who do exist according to the net. And will give you the low down when/if they come back to me. The other Welsh outfit, regarding ash die back I emailed didn't reply, so obviously not getting enough VAT money to afford to reply!

!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 17 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interested to hear about the progress on your vest Cassandra. You certainly seem to be busy with the History Room at the moment. We are a little warmer than you, but leaving out the snow, our weather is similar.

I will see about your nets this coming week Gregotyn. I am expecting some new ones early in the week, so will sort out the packaging the old ones were in for you as it is good and sturdy. Then to find price for sending.

We had our Volunteer Group meeting yesterday, but as the only ones that turned up were the 'less active' group, we contented ourselves with doing a fungus search. Found some quite interesting ones, very few of which we managed to identify. The trouble is, we sometimes find unusual ones in the wood, but always expect to find the more common ones of course, so if one looks to be an 'uncommon' or 'rare' it is hard to believe the ID unless it is very distinctive, which few are.

Husband did a bit more work in the yard while we were out, and then we delivered log sacks to one of our outlets. Then it rained!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 17 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for part of the day yesterday and got phone call from son, who was also away from home to say he had a report of motorbikes in the wood. We went straight up there when we got home to find they had been everywhere, leaving a bit of a mess in one place, but not too much damage elsewhere as far as we could see. To get there they rode up a bridle path then road on bridle and public footpaths as well as management tracks and desire line paths. Probably broke enough of the road traffic acts and trespass laws to get lots of points on their licences if nothing else. Have informed the police, but no descriptions of bikes yet. Rather fuming.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 17 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this President lark is a lot of hard work it seems. But once the grant application is in I can take a bit of a breather. I just have to chase up some Letters of Support - I have drafted one (to be signed by Council's heritage officer), have another in hand, and the third is hopefully en route but I will chase it up on Thursday if I have not heard back.

Yesterday was warm, but very windy, so not much could be achieved outdoors and I settled for dealing with some paperwork.

Today was History Room again, and an extra early start as we had some people coming who wanted to spend a fair bit of money (by our standards) but also needed to be on the road by 10:30 (our usual opening time) as they had a plane to catch. As it was they lingered past the hour as they had their heads buried in even more research and I had to chase them out the door for their own sakes.

A later visitor is apparently a technical type, and he promised he will come back and fix our old telly so we can play AV through it - a vintage telly with video loops would be a nice addition to the foyer I think.

Then I got an invoice from the shed people that had my blood boiling - having talked me into re-siting the awning so as to make use of the existing pads, they then invoiced me as the pads are now in the right place! I have, of course, disputed it. As I have disputed the charge for the pads themselves which does not reflect the overpayment I made earlier or the refund for no-longer-required parts as a result of the redesign.

Gregotyn - yes 14Celsius, so as you say, quite comfy really with the right clothes. I think this idea of needing 22 degrees indoors is a result of people wanting to be able to lounge around in teeshirts while it is snowing outside. Me, if it is snowing (or raining) outside, I want to be wearing warmer clothes anyway - a problem I had when living in subtropical Queensland as I would reach for a jacket when it rained - even when it was monsoonal rain! haha.

A small room with a well-fitted door is the solution for a cold climate, and when things are really grim here, that is what I do - shut myself in one small room and let the rest of the place freeze to its heart's content. The bed is always snug as an extra blanket, a hot water bottle or a dog will keep you warm no matter if there is ice on the inside of the windows, though getting up can be a bit challenging at times like that!

The first bobbin of green has been spun, and balled, and is now to be plyed. The yellow tops were dyed yesterday but don't seem to be much less yellow. I suspect I left the mix for too long before using it. I will spin it up and have another look at it, but in the mean time I have to dye some red - I will be doing that over grey tops so it should not be too vibrant and will add a dash of coral pink at intervals for a bit of subtle colour variation once spun.

Tomorrow will theoretically be good washing weather which is a huge relief as I have once again, run out of clothes!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 17 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with being a President, Cassandra, as long as you have the troops on the ground to help with the day to day 'stuff'', but I suspect that the troops helping are a bit thin in numbers.
How can these folks who do jobs invoice for stuff they haven't done?
I was glad to be out of my marital home, it was too hot and no chance of a window open at night. In my childhood residence fresh air was free, my mother said, so that's that-window open. I prefer it cooler than hotter, I have no heat in my house operative yet, and am not missing warmth, bearing in mind that I leave the house around 5.30am and I am in bed by 7.30pm. Haven't needed any extra heat in bed yet, but that will come when I find the hot water bottles and it gets colder. I have to get a wood burner working before I will heat 'hotties'. I must say that the getting up in the middle of the night is challenging when it is cold. I use a sleeping bag and 2 if it gets really cold. I have got a new to me bed which my neighbour kicked out and it is better than my own was. I also have a large bed cover which came from the same source and it is very warm when on top of the bag; a bit too much yet, but it will come in no doubt. I have a trick too I don't take my socks off until I am in bed and they keep warm-on which note....

Thank you for doing the nets, MR, there is no massive hurry, but it is getting towards the time when I have to make a sign up to attract potential customers. I only expect to be selling 1 or 2 at a time-passing trade. The company you spoke about for the kindling bags should have my sample net by now and coming back with a price. I have enough kindling bags packed to get to Christmas I hope, but enough chopped to do to the end of Feb. If I can't get any nets to do the kindling in time, I will revert to the small vegetable bags I used to fill with kindling before my customer supplied the nets. They work and are quick to fill-3 per 2 minutes. Almost fun trying to get the time down, wasting too much time working out how long it took to do bags, when I could have been doing more bags.

Sorry you had a problem in the wood with the bikers-probably young boys-proper bikers are usually much more sensible than to go into woodland unless it is on an organised agreed ride. I don't think these brats realise how much damage is done particularly to footpaths. It may be an idea to have some wires set up across non public paths to test how many get severed or removed whilst you are not there and go on a watch with the law present. And advise folks that the woods are private and protected by cameras. Such a shame when there are places for such activity which offer probably better challenges than your woods provide, as the made for biker routes often have hazardous areas, but with built in safety or escape routes.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 17 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound as if you have been very busy in the History Room Cassandra. I am sure it is making a big difference.

It could be your shed people are incompetent rather than rogues. It never ceases to surprise me how incompetent people are. I worry if I make a mistake, but some people take everyday mistakes to degree level.

I am afraid we are a bit wimpish with heating now. We have central heating and tend to use it if we get cold, although we do put on sweatshirts or jumpers first. We have the fire going all the time in the winter, and that keeps the house slightly warmer too. I don't like the bedroom too warm, so we tend to keep that cool. I think that a temperate climate has a lot to do with the temperature we live at. For us, being at 14-20C is perfectly 'normal' so we don't bother with heating, but if you live somewhere where you have to wear a thick coat in winter or freeze and take it off even for short visits indoors, I think you may tend to live at a higher temperature generally indoors.

We are going to put up some signs in the woods we have been given by the police saying 'You are being watched' and are thinking of a way of putting a camera up to cover the main route in. We now know they came in two vans, so even if the riders were kids, the drivers of the vans weren't. The vans were seen by someone in the lane, and we are hoping she will give us registration numbers to forward to the police, but she is worried about comeback of some sort, but not quite sure what. We have also had people volunteer on facebook to do patrols for us, but are rather worried about safety if they do this, and their and our position if they are hurt trying to stop the bikers. Sadly, because they are very thin on the ground, we don't think we can rely on the police to help physically. A nuisance law breaking like that is small fry if they have far more important things to deal with like burglaries.

I am trying to work out the best way to package your log nets Gregotyn, but will try to sort it out for you very soon.

gz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 17 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had problems around the ancient hill fort/medieval town site/Common Ground with 4x4s and motorbikes, The Twmbarlwm Society helped liaise with the police...we had a P.C. Twmp and a direct line to his mobile.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 17 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we don't have a local policeman Gz. I think we still have a PCSO, but not sure who it is now. They are based about 5 miles away and have quite an area to cover. Our police force has lost I think something like 30% of its numbers over the last few years. Sadly the crooks know this and crime seems to be increasing. We keep getting notifications of break ins to cars and out buildings so illegal motor bikes is small fry.

On a positive note, the garden seems to be producing well now. The courgettes seem to be reducing, but I have had one squash; my first ever, and some more seem to be coming along. One pepper is virtually ready, and I have several others, though not coloured yet. Runner and French beans, Savoy cabbages heating up nicely, curly kale, onions, potatoes, chard, and with a bit of luck some root vegetables.

Up to our eyes in log orders and log sack orders now, so I have an appointment with some more log sacks today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 17 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for doing the log sacks, MR-there is no hurry yet as it isn't really fire weather yet. I am tied up with the kindling chopping as well, but still no sacks-awaiting the samples as they can't match my size precisely, this could be a problem, we'll see-I may have to shorten the stick length or lengthen depending on which sack I decide to use. Longer sacks are a problem for the storage at the shop, but that matches the width I use; shorter is a problem as that net is too big in cross section for the sticks I cut. I may go for the shorter as that is effectively a price rise and will, I hope, reduce the knots I encounter. I have outlets for the rubbish that doesn't grade to stick status, my librarian takes all of that I produce, throughout the year as they have an AGA which is lit every day.

We are lucky here, we have a local police station and they patrol the streets and sometimes come into the library, so they are there to talk to-an initiative of the librarian who was a police woman in Telford in a previous life. They have 2 cars as well, so we are covered quite well. He reminded that I lost my wallet a year or so ago as I reported the last one lost a week or so ago. And he reminded me that I found it under a pile of washing! Not so lucky with the current loss it hasn't turned up. Cards cancelled and so on. Our local "lads" are good, sensible officers, they use talk rather than brawn when they can. Glad the garden is producing well for you MR.

Talking of mistakes, I am starting to take forgetfulness to a high degree. I am now carrying a pad of paper and writing down where I am going to collect whatever it is the counter people want; that way they get what they ask for, and not what I think they wanted-there can be large discrepancies-oops!

I am worried when you say you can't rely on the law to help if you are invaded by morons again, MR. They are paid to protect law abiding folk. I think I would not just put the signs up, but also some fake cameras and some real ones, with the fake ones in obvious places and the real thing a little obscure, watching the fake cameras, that way you may get a good look at who is on the premises, as they get the fakes down. Have you got cover on the yard that is in the wood?

Now there is an interesting name for a policeman, gz, Twmp. Sounds like one letter short of a president to me.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 17 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too have a local police station - but getting them to come out can be a challenge at times - they seem to want you to sort things out for yourself - which to be fair, is what a lot of the locals do, but that just generates more police work when things escalate to arsen and murder (amazing how many disappear in these parts).

Our former PM got a biff on the chin in Hobart today, for example - an unhappy voter one assumes, but allegedly a campaigner for Marriage Equality according to the victim (a campaigner against ME). So hours of fun and excitement on line today!

Also spent time doing our grant application - as Gregotyn says, volunteers are thin on the ground and not terribly flexible in terms of what they are willing to do - they have their set tasks (self-assumed) and do those, but feel overburdened if asked to do extra. Hence the need for more. The problem is that until we agree what those new volunteers might be needed for it seems a bit pointless going out recruiting. I am thinking an article asking people who are willing to give a few hours here and there register their particular skill sets (and listing the ones we need), so we can have a list of people available on call for necessary things like IT support and so forth.

This is not an approach we have had in the past, so will take some time to get past the committee.....

We are having a warm spell so Spring is apparently staggering in the door if a little reluctantly. And despite the fire being alight it is really not that necessary right now except that my jumper was washed and is still a little damp.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 17 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant applications can be a pain Cassandra. I am at the point of getting going on one at the moment, and just heard one that should have been paid in April is finally coming through thank goodness. About time, but they have inexperienced staff, and it was beyond them, so I have every sympathy with them rather than being cross.

As well as being inflexible in what they will do, some volunteers are rather pedantic about things being 'their' job. At the food bank one of the people I work with dared to do a pick up at one of the supermarkets that was someone elses job and got it in the neck from them. As far as I am concerned the supermarket I do the pick of from can be picked up by someone else, and if I know I can't do it I give warning so someone else can do it, but then perhaps I am more flexible than some.

Had another damp day yesterday doing log bags. I helped husband deliver some while son was cutting another load for log bags then bagged some more while they were sorting what he had cut. I was hoping to have a pile of 100 or so as I know we have a couple of big orders due, but somehow I haven't managed to get to more than about 70 as they keep going out. A good thing in some ways, but I can see that is going to be my major job this winter. It rained again in the afternoon so everything was soggy. Although I don't think the rainfall has been that high, it somehow hasn't been dry for more than a couple of days together for weeks it seems.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 17 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get grants for anything I do, so that saves working out how to fill the forms in. I do have to have a new driving license in a month or so. I hope this won't be a problem, or it is end of working for me and off to live in a village with a shop! What a terrible place you live in, Cassandra, arson and murder, with violence for an ex PM who gets hit, but at least he could see who was attacking him, an exonerating act therefore?

We can get it support in our library-all the librarians are computer literate and there are specialists who train people in basic operations of the pooter, and they go round to help. The librarians started me off and from there I went on various fixed length courses for different things, I often took too long and it cost me twice as much to do the course, as I was not fast enough on the uptake of the info. I enjoyed doing them, but they got to be expensive for me as a slow coach; my starting course was £18 for 10 weeks and progressed to £34 for 8 weeks to complete the individual course. I probably did about 12 courses in all and got a basic insight, but you were meant to practise at home, but I didn't and still don't have my own computer.

I think you may well be right in asking for potential volunteers for various tasks regardless of the committee's attitude. From the above you may be able to gather that I could help someone to do basic computing, but not with anything advanced, pictures for example. I have enough trouble with copy and paste!

Just started to pour with rain after a lovely start to the early afternoon. And I was going to do so much!!!!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 17 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up computing as I went along, so still know nothing about quite a lot of it as I don't need it. If I want to do anything different, or something I do infrequently so forget, I try to ask son as he is pretty computer literate. Husband is pretty good at it too, but usually starts off with 'you know how to do it', which I don't or I wouldn't have asked. The grant application is in Excel, which is not a programme I use often, so have to remember to be careful with it.

I have packaged up your log nets Gregotyn. Used part of the old packaging for the previous log nets and got some strong parcel tape. I will send them off today if the Post Office will take them, and let you know the cost.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 17 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people say the same to me-'you know how to do x, y or z', in computer terms-in practise I have forgotten. We have very understanding librarians here. What I do notice about me is that as I get older the youngsters of today don't have the same patience that I had with my grand parents for example. Guess it is the digital age, where you don't have to get a book to find out, but your telephone. My phone is still missing too, waste of £10, it has gone walkabout! I need to turn the car upside down sometime today on the passenger side and have a better look.

Thank you for doing the log sacks MR, it will be another Month or so before I get too excited but want to get them filled ready for selling. I am still waiting on the net man to send his samples for the kindling-thought they would be here by now so that I can select the lucky size or at least adapt the sticks for filling them! Here time is not on my side as I have sold so many already. After the holiday it inevitably gets even worse for numbers as the weather deteriorates here after Christmas, I hope that is not famous last words!

The new neighbours are very good to me. At one point in life I bought a ladies clothes shop, turning it into selling antiques I seem to still have most of the ladies clothes left-tried booting them but to no avail-and also I have lady mannequins which my neighbour has photographed onto her telephone and to fb and they have sold within a few minutes-the lady is collecting today. They are cheap, but they no longer will occupy my space after this afternoon, I love theory!!

The plan for today is to cut wood and then more wood. I need to make spaces to get stuff out of the house which I am not ready to sell but can't part with yet-I understand it is a failing/disease of single people of age, but not universal. A good friend has just donated his father's art collection to the Grammar school where he was Wood-work master and Art master for 40 years or so, the school are delighted. The pictures are very, very good, so many more will benefit from the old teacher. Strange, but it took me years to discover that woodwork could be an art form. I thought it was for furniture, fencing, gates and firewood!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 17 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The net people are probable starting to be busy Gregotyn, and I am afraid 1000 off is not a huge order, so they may prefer to deal with the 100,000 people first. Can't you measure one and see what the nearest the sell is. Their web site is quite good, and if all else fails, get your neighbour to look it up as she seems very helpful that way.

Your parcel is on it's way from me. Squashy parcel wrapped in heavy duty white woven plastic with lots of brown parcel tape on it. I forgot to put my name on it I am afraid, as I was so worried about getting such an odd thing packaged.

We are going up to the woods this weekend to keep an eye on the motorbike situation. Yesterday I managed to do some gardening first and dug the rest of the onion bed. Found 3 leeks surviving in the undergrowth and found some errant potatoes from last year. Dug a couple of roots of the potatoes from this years bed and picked beans, another courgette, some curly kale and chard, so all our own vegetables with dinner last night.

Managed to do 15 more log sacks yesterday, went to investigate this years coppice coup and sat and read a bit, so a nice afternoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 284, 285, 286 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 285 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive