Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
big puss

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 23 1:31 pm    Post subject: big puss Reply with quote

not a notably reliable fact source

however

the photos look very real from internal consistencies, if they are real the beast is around 30kg and maybe 45cm to the shoulder

yellow hell hound size looking at the angles and vegetation

it is a cat, perhaps a bobcat to use a local name , it could be a huge hybrid thingy or one of slim's "pets" has come for a holiday, your advice appreciated,

is the photo taken when and where they claim it was?, the plants look right, all the shadows match the objects , if it is fake it is very good fake

where? the veg looks welsh, the cat does not look welsh

those of us who are fairly sure the uk has largish felines as crypto fauna
could consider that data as a potentially valid sighting on camera

i recon it looks right as a medium-sized slinking puss, location is a different question that the bellingcat method could probably answer

the yellow hell hound could be invisible most of the time, a similar size puss could as well

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 23 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one of the smaller big cats, definitely not a leopard. I would suspect an illegal pet got out somewhere.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 23 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterning looks like a serval, but head and tail are lynx genus looking. Could it be Iberian lynx? Not likely a North American kitty

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 23 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i thought that looked like a real photo of something about that size

felines, especially larger ones, are not my subject, but i did and do believe Dick about his one

all manner of contraband arrives from iberia and someone popping a kitten in a basket along with the payload is credible

it is not the type of critter they have at petsRus or the local AG auction

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 23 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i prefer the pythons to cats by wt as non-native "wildlife"

the king cobra in a pet shop was different to being introduced to most "pets", best they don't move in even if it does warm up a bit

a few largish cats might fit in ok, these islands had them until folk started farming

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 23 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big cat supposed to roam the South Downs. We are nearby and have seen it and also photographed a footprint which is far too big for domestic cat size and definitely a cat not a dog. I think I saw it, but thought it was a large black dog, although the tail looked wrong. Someone else got a video, but it was in a field at a distance, so nothing to give scale. A swamp cat was found not too far away having been killed on the road, so there are big cats around for sure.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 23 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is at least one on Mynydd Maen, the mountain between Cwmbran and the Ebbw Valley.
Mountain Man lived on it above Cwmcarn and there are times when his collie dog was just cowering by him when we walked a forest track...very unusual.

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 23 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengal cross Maine Coon perhaps?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 23 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Maine Coons are supposed to be big, but not as big as a Labrador dog, which is what ours is. Big feet to match too.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 23 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Bengal cross Maine Coon perhaps?

from the images, it is bigger than the huge "domestics" by quite a bit
imho 30 kg

dick's one was about puma size from the bite marks in deer necks and the few paw prints that could be found
light on its feet, and on a difficult sort of landscape for detailed foot sign, crushed heath and scrub is not as diagnostic as good mud
bite marks are fairly diagnostic

MR's one seems to have left very credible traces, there are other ones that have convincing data
plenty where it is mistaken identity or imagination or "avin a larf" get reported as well, the ones that convince multiple credible witnesses might well be out there

my wolf was mistaken for a bear, some witnesses are "unreliable"
and i have never seen track or sight of one, some do have enough data to leave me thinking that a big puss has been feral in the uk on several occasions over the last 50 yrs or so

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive