Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
hosepipe ban
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 23 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I can understand some relaxation for businesses on the grounds of sanitation; when we went to Wales in 1976 (the only time we haven't got wet there), there were restrictions, but the campsite we used didn't have them on the grounds that restricting toilet flushing and showers could be unhygenic. We took our own drinking water as we we have plenty here; we only had a hosepipe ban as other parts of the country were on standpipes, and we were exporting water to Gibralter. Using water for watering and hot tubs is a waste though and shouldn't be allowed.

things are not so desperate that we have to limit toilet flushing and showers etc - stand pipe usages has been ruled out. But the situation where you have someone living in a house cannot use a hose to water their garden but the air b&b next door is a business, so they can and do use a hose to water that garden...

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 23 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same rules on that sort of thing should apply to all I agree. Unnecessary usage such as watering lawns and ornamental parts of the garden should be the first things to stop unless the ornamentals are of particular value, in which case you would expect someone to arrange their own water storage.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 23 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was quite damp last night, for the first time in weeks we had proper rain

a few mm over a couple of months then wet for a few hours

no idea how that will alter water supplies etc, but it has moistened the ground a bit

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 23 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water butts full.
Relief.
Now to set up more of them.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 23 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the brambles have eaten my photo studio

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 23 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hot and sunny here again, but forecast is for heavy rain and thunderstorms - so have been out and set up another water butt in hopeful optimism.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 23 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a few hours steady rain at home on Sunday, and some at our end of the woods, but crossing the wood it still seemed dusty at the other end. Had a slight thunderstorm about 5am this morning with a good bit of rain, so will see if it has done anything for the water butt. Thundery showers forecast for today, but the kiln needs to be refilled, so that will have to be done if possible.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 23 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the forecast heavy rains and thunderstorms didn't happen here.. we had some rain but not enough to fill the first barrel. But at least I didn't have to go out watering everything...

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 23 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is wet, full monsoon rate for the last 5 mins

as a total, maybe less than a 3 month expectation

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 23 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had enough rain to make the garden happy. Not sure about the water butt as I forgot to look. We don't have anything up by the house to water now all the veg have been planted out, and I can't look into the tanks under the greenhouse.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 23 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally, after many weeks of dry weather we have had a decent downpour and the barrels are filling again. It always rains in July in time for the school holidays....

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 23 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God for the rain,its been the dryest in 36yrs here,grass slow in growing,luckily i have a good well for the cattle water working on a syphon system,but last few days i have had to top up from the mains so i can start the syphon off again,i thinking of trenching towards the wells from the deep gutter and getting a tapping into the wells lower to the base to avoid this air lock problem when the water in the wells is slower filling than the cattle drinking in this hot dry periods.

Although the syphon should work as it is, as the first trough is lower than 2 of the conrete well rings and still one full ring below,this well can raise water 3ft 6in above ground level and when the first trough is dry the water level in the well has never been lower than the bottom foot of the top ring,but of course it could have been when cattle have been drinking before i get to see it,so maybe beings it has to syphon up 11ft to get out of the well there`s not enough weight of water above the pipe to help the system,but in theory it should matter,maybe its pulling air somewhere,but all joints are tight,could the ball cock in the trough be pulling air?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 23 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballcocks will pull air if the water pressure at the well end of the syphon drops below atm pressure at the tank end when they are open which it will be if the moos are slurping
an inline non-return valve might help

glad you got some rain to feed the ground water etc

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 23 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syphons can be a bit tricky, so you are fortunate yours works well most of the time. As Dpack says, a non-return valve may help and shouldn't cost too much as a first try.

The winterbournes here went down about the normal time, but don't think we have had overall too much less rain, as the ground water topped up well in the winter. One pond overflow still running, which is quite late in the year for it. The lower pond frequently dries up in the summer.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 23 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ll look into a non return valve,might save me a fair bit of trenching,Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive