links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bouillabaisse

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 24 8:18 am    Post subject: Bouillabaisse Reply with quote

Not a recipe as such.
We are not really a fishy household, but I have occasionally thrown some fish, garlic, tomatoes and some fish stock in a saucepan and called it Bouillabaisse.
Yesterday I figured a Bouillabaisse was well overdue and as we were doing Costco thought I'd see what was on offer?
Turns out live Mussels and Sea Bass.
Never ever cooked live Mussels before and don't find them appealing.
But not going with the flow would have been a terrible cop out.
Made the day a shopping expedition as Lidl failed to have leeks or fennel and having decided to do things properly it needed the ingredients.
End result a decent Bouillabaisse with a massive excess of mussels which are not bad with salt and a hot sauce.
In future probably the lazy version, but it's good to challenge boundaries, things to cook that you never have for one reason or another.
Probably not in a Bouillabaisse but I can see live Mussels being bought again.

Last edited by jema on Sat Jan 20, 24 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 24 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. We don't have fish that often, but do make up recipes to use things up. One is left over diced lamb in tomato sauce and another is what I call a risotto but is more of a vegetable stew with arborio rice added. I add some fried smoked bacon pieces (cut up offcuts rather than goujouns as a lot cheaper) or smoked salmon offcuts.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 24 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yum

mussels are ace , safe from most mongers, wisdom is required with wild ones

"solid" fish and mussels is an ideal start for such a mixed fishy dishy

saffron and white wine are useful, as are good salt and pepper

making a good stock is tidy, never overcook the fishy part of stocks, 5 to ten mins is plenty after the well-chosen fish scraps goes in, strain, use or chill immediately
keep long cook ingredients separate from fishy ones until combined for the last stages

from choosing the best of what is available, right now, via technique to nice is a massive subject

fish is fiddly, done well it is respectful, and a massive subject

timing is queen with fish cuisine, especially with soups and stews

the choice of seafoods is less important than using good ingredients and techniques for what is available
or the bowl style(thin or hearty have merit with different needs and different ingredients)

Bouillabaisse is a given name for a generic regional fish stew, Lancashire hotpot, kebab etc

a recipes how to with random fishy things in a bowl might be fun, i will start and throw in a few well tested techniques(and species )

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 24 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 4 yrs in a good trade kitchen got me as far as grilling or frying it

then i found DS

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 24 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

making a good stock is tidy, never overcook the fishy part of stocks, 5 to ten mins is plenty after the well-chosen fish scraps goes in, strain, use or chill immediately
keep long cook ingredients separate from fishy ones until combined for the last stages

I guess for mine I simmered for about 30 mins, let cool somewhat, liquidised and then strained first through a colander then a fine sieve.
Took a while but was worth it.

Today though is a mixed grill novel mainly in the fact that I'm cooking it
With 4 cooks in the house we get in to a bit of a routine as to who does what sort of cooking and Sean is the grill guy as a rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive