links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mackrel

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 06 9:38 pm    Post subject: Mackrel Reply with quote

I couldn't go cos I was working, but two mate's went to Abbotsbury yesterday and had 3 dozen of them biggest 1 1/2 lb, now that is a big fish. They also had some Herring & Plaice, I have 8 mack's in the fridge for tea tomorrow night.

Very early though

Naomi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 06 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky thing. I love fish and my eldest son often goes sea fishing at a place called Mogs Eye .My neighbour goes out shrimping too and one year we got given a whole bucket filled with cooked (boiled in sea water in the bucket) shrimps and so we all made complete pigs of ourselves!!

pricey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 06 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish every week if I can, and always pick muscle's from the groynes, that is one thing I will miss, the sea.

Hopefully the high mountain rivers will produce some trout for me to enjoy.

pricey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 06 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naomi wrote:
You lucky thing. I love fish and my eldest son often goes sea fishing at a place called Mogs Eye .My neighbour goes out shrimping too and one year we got given a whole bucket filled with cooked (boiled in sea water in the bucket) shrimps and so we all made complete pigs of ourselves!!

We used to when we were kids, not so much now though, further down the coast is still good for shrimp, seams to have died of here.

Naomi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 06 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trout is lovely too.Plus there must be eels available ,they are everywhere and although not an impressive catch they are delicious to eat.What other river fish can you eat Pricey? I have tasted pike.

zigs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 06 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fished abbotsbury on sunday night too, caught our first sardines as well as the mackerell, spot on. lots of grockles down there though.

zigs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 06 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mackrel Reply with quote

pricey wrote:
I couldn't go cos I was working, but two mate's went to Abbotsbury yesterday and had 3 dozen of them biggest 1 1/2 lb, now that is a big fish. They also had some Herring & Plaice, I have 8 mack's in the fridge for tea tomorrow night.

Very early though

you sure they were herring ?

the shore caught record for mackerell is 7lb 2oz i believe,in 1980 i think, now THATS a big fish

pricey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 06 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mackrel Reply with quote

ziggy searchfield wrote:
pricey wrote:

Very early though

you sure they were herring ?

the shore caught record for mackerel is 7lb 2oz i believe, in 1980 i think, now THAT'S a big fish

They were definitely Herring, but the tight git's wouldn't give me any.

Had the mackerel to tea last night Mmmm the kids all had a whole one to.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 06 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh seaside . but trout

pricey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 06 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naomi wrote:
Trout is lovely too. Plus there must be eels available ,they are everywhere and although not an impressive catch they are delicious to eat. What other river fish can you eat Pricey? I have tasted pike.

Right well, Carp all strains, Pike, Eel, Gudgeon, Bream.

I have not tasted any others myself apart from Chub, and that was like cotton wool. Anyone else tasted other fresh water species?

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 06 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes . yum . pends how well they are cooked .
perch are very nice
baked chubb (big uns ) is nice . not wooly or wet
carp ,very ok.
pike ,bones are sharp but the flesh has a good flavour .
greyling are ace .
a few muddy ones (tench etc ) are nourishing .
little ones make soup or sauces.
better than fish nuggets or nowt .
hassa fish are wierd , armoured with bony plates , the tank of non salt water fish , they said "good in curry " well only with pliers to get the "shell"off not local

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive