Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
goat question - what teat dip do you use?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 4:31 pm    Post subject: goat question - what teat dip do you use? Reply with quote

Hi. I have just started using an iodine based teat dip on my goats and one of them has developed a sore patch on one teat. Should I keep on using it or do you know of a gentler dip I can use?

Thanks

Katie

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must admit i never dipped............i just cleaned the udder with an udder wipe, milked and discarded the first few squirts and got on with it

katie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did until last week when I read you were supposed to use a teat dip after milking to prevent infection - so I did and now look what's happened!
Actually I've just been to look at her and she has a very small cut?tear on the teat. I've bathed it with disinfectant and sprayed with veterinary wound spray - that should be ok shouldn't it? I'm worried because all the books say cuts on the udder can lead to mastitis. Am I fussing too much?

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never had any experience of this so i can't really answer your question and all my goat books have been packed away that might have helped

i think if it is no better in the monrning, i would speak to the vet

better safe than sorry and they can probably give you something to make her ore comfortable and make sure she doesn't get any masitis

you could put a bit of vaseline on the area, that is inert and will stop any further irritation until the vet has had a look and also it will keep it supple so it doesn't split any further

sorry i can't be of any more help

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 06 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a look in my cow book and it says for cow udder damage to rub the affected area with udder cream to keep it supple and discard the milk so i wans't far wrong

she may not like it when you milk though so i would still speak to the vet

katie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 06 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nanny, it was kind of you to look it up. I,ve just had a word with her breeder who advised udder cream and a watch on it today and if any sign of inflammation to call the vet. I've stopped panicking for the moment!
Thanks again

Katie

Nanny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 06 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would as well..........

it's a girl thing

and you can almost feel it yourself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive